Pool stick recommendations for a family member $100 - $150

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A family member wants a pool stick. Only has $100 to $150 to spend. Any recommendations?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say Schmelke also, but I've seen to have purchased one of the last good ones as both their clear coat finish has changed (now very milky and thick) and more recently purchased cues by my friends have had multiple order spec and quality issues.
I got one in '16 and both shafts warped in a lil over a year. I kept one of those J&J imports in my car year round and it was LASER straight when i sold it.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Well how serious is the player? At that price I’d suggest he/she just get what they like because they will probably want something else later on. If already semi-serious buy a used plain jane “real” Viking/McDermott. Not the lower lines of Valhalla/lucky. Really any good used manufacturers cue. Better shaft wood(usually) for the same price as a new lower line cue from them. Just sucks you can’t make sure the cue listed straight is straight until you receive it. And a lot of manufacturers cues can play a little different so there are a lot of variables in choosing a cue for more serious players.

And obviously if said family member is putting on a CF shaft none of that^^
matters much except get what they like

One guy on our APA team uses a Walmart cue with screw on tips and hasn’t even thought about changing his stick. He’s about to be a 4.

My woman has a McDermott Lucky and doesn’t want a different stick. Says it plays fine and won’t let me order her a custom.

I also have a couple friends with Valhallas that like them.

None of those play as good as my cues do. But that’s just an opinion. Different people like different things.

Last edited:

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a new player, the variety of styles, patterns, and designs are going to be a bigger deal than for someone that has been at it for a while. I'd suggest that you tell them to go to Seybert's, or Ozone, or whatever on-line shop, and do the filter with the limit at whatever price you want to spend, and let them pick out their cue. There's significant value in their pride of ownership, and you can't really buy too bad of a cue from those big sellers.
I bought my GF a nice older McDermott with a deep purple colored butt section, since she likes purple. She constantly comments on those butts with the purple tribal designs, and really, she'd have been happier with one of those to start.
If it's at all possible, I'd suggest that you let your new player pick their cue.

Ted760_0

Pawn shops can be a great source of used quality cue for a good price.
You can roll them on their glass countertops to check for straightness and rollout.
Start off by offering about 1/2 of what they are asking if they are in good condition.
They probably only paid 1/4 to 1/3 of what they are asking.
I have bought at least 10 top brand name cues from pawn shops over the years, some still had their factory labels on them.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I like it. bought the White Pearl because I just don't like all-dark sticks. Makes me depressed. 🌧️

Got a Viking cue for the butt. My Cuetic Avid butt didn't look as nice with the Whyte as it did with the Cynergy.

Better than the Cynergy? Maybe a little, but maybe not. I just had my Cnyergy retipped. I'll give both a lot of side by side. Both are great.
Please let us know what you're findings are.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pawn shops can be a great source of used quality cue for a good price.
You can roll them on their glass countertops to check for straightness and rollout.
Start off by offering about 1/2 of what they are asking if they are in good condition.
They probably only paid 1/4 to 1/3 of what they are asking.
I have bought at least 10 top brand name cues from pawn shops over the years, some still had their factory labels on them.
Many years ago Pawn shops were a good place to find cue deals. Today my experience is that most pawn shops love internet pricing when selling a cue but down play internet pricing when buying a cue.
So a seller to pawn shops gets 30% of market value and the pawn shops I have visited over the past several years won’t go below 70% of present cue internet values when selling.
Not a good place to buy cues anymore as a reseller - but sometimes OK place for keeper cues.
Yes there are some outlier pawn shop deals - usually on unsigned cues if you know your stuff - or where someone takes over a pawn shop and their prior owner had some cues stored and the new owner has no clue about cues- I have run into that as well.

Ted760_0

Many years ago Pawn shops were a good place to find cue deals. Today my experience is that most pawn shops love internet pricing when selling a cue but down play internet pricing when buying a cue.
So a seller to pawn shops gets 30% of market value and the pawn shops I have visited over the past several years won’t go below 70% of present cue internet values when selling.
Not a good place to buy cues anymore as a reseller - but sometimes OK place for keeper cues.
Yes there are some outlier pawn shop deals - usually on unsigned cues if you know your stuff - or where someone takes over a pawn shop and their prior owner had some cues stored and the new owner has no clue about cues- I have run into that as well.
It's probably been 20 years since I bought a cue from a pawnshop.
I found some really great deals back then., $100 or less for cues that still had their $395 stickers on them.