Pool stick recommendations for a family member $100 - $150

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A family member wants a pool stick. Only has $100 to $150 to spend. Any recommendations?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Several years ago a student asked me to look around for a good cue he could get two of for the two locations he played. A local supply store allows customers to test cues. I found that the McDermott kit cues hit better than some more expensive ones. You can order directly from them here. If you get the $180 kit, shipping is free.

Here is what's included in the $180 kit:

1711643902509.png

Last edited:

TrxR

Seyberts list some Players, Valhalla and dufferin in that range. Never used any of them but the Valhalla are a budget line of Viking I believe and I have an old school dufferin but don't know about the newer ones.

TrxR

Several years ago a student asked me to look around for a good cue he could get two of for the two locations he played. A local supply store allows customers to test cues. I found that the McDermott kit cues hit better than some more expensive ones. You can order directly from them here. If you get the $180 kit, shipping is free.

Seyberts has them as well at 115

I was thinking Cuetec avid but I see they are in 250 to 270 range.

jbart65

Vahallas are very good for the price. McDermott's Lucky line is quite comparable. I'd give Valhalla an edge. I like both better than Schmelke.

My preferred choice would be the Players C-950 to C-970 (different colors). $155 to $160 on Seyberts. Use apaplayer code and get 5% off, with free ship.

I have the Players Pure/X C-955 for one of my house cues, along with Valhalla and Lucky. Sold my more expensive Schmelke. If I am not using my regular stick, I use the Players.

sbrownn

Registered
Schmelke great bang for the buck.
I was going to say Schmelke also, but I've seen to have purchased one of the last good ones as both their clear coat finish has changed (now very milky and thick) and more recently purchased cues by my friends have had multiple order spec and quality issues.

shooter_Hans

Vahallas are very good for the price. McDermott's Lucky line is quite comparable. I'd give Valhalla an edge. I like both better than Schmelke.

My preferred choice would be the Players C-950 to C-970 (different colors). $155 to $160 on Seyberts. Use apaplayer code and get 5% off, with free ship.

I have the Players Pure/X C-955 for one of my house cues, along with Valhalla and Lucky. Sold my more expensive Schmelke. If I am not using my regular stick, I use the Players.
How well do you play? Beginner or novice? Interested in Vahallas and McDermott.

I'm looking for a cue for a lady friend if you know what I mean. If she doesn't like it then I keep it.

jbart65

How well do you play? Beginner or novice? Interested in Vahallas and McDermott.

I'm looking for a cue for a lady friend if you know what I mean. If she doesn't like it then I keep it.
Intermediate or better. I have been using a Cuetec Cynergy, but just switched to a Whyte Carbon.

The Players was my first good stick. I still use it from time to time because I like the sound of cracking wood!

Edit: But if I could spar the change, Cuetic Avid all the way. $259 is the cheapest. The Cuetic Chromas are around $230, but I don't like the looks.

Last edited:

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intermediate or better. I have been using a Cuetec Cynergy, but just switched to a Whyte Carbon.

The Players was my first good stick. I still use it from time to time because I like the sound of cracking wood!
Nice sticks. Cuetec Cynergy is a nice cue. How do you like that Whyte carbon shaft? I was thinking about picking one up.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say Schmelke also, but I've seen to have purchased one of the last good ones as both their clear coat finish has changed (now very milky and thick) and more recently purchased cues by my friends have had multiple order spec and quality issues.
I bought my Schmelke a couple years ago and it's flawless.
The finish on it is not as clear as higher end cues but still a great value.

jbart65

Nice sticks. Cuetec Cynergy is a nice cue. How do you like that Whyte carbon shaft? I was thinking about picking one up.
So far I like it. bought the White Pearl because I just don't like all-dark sticks. Makes me depressed. 🌧️

Got a Viking cue for the butt. My Cuetic Avid butt didn't look as nice with the Whyte as it did with the Cynergy.

Better than the Cynergy? Maybe a little, but maybe not. I just had my Cnyergy retipped. I'll give both a lot of side by side. Both are great.