Pool table question

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a house with a pool table in the upstairs man cave. I have not been able to find out much, if anything, about the table.

The only identifying marker on the table is a sticker on the front that says "The Champ model #88, manufactured by Eddie's Amusements Flint, MI" (Eddies Amusements is out of business, or I would have contacted the source).

Anyway, the table looks similar to a valley. It is a barbox (non coin- op), the balls roll straight everywhere, and seems to be very sturdy. (The hip bump test doesn't move the balls at all.

The balls return to the foot of the table where there is a plastic self racking thingamajig.

The reason I am trying to get info is that there is a rip in the felt and little fuzzballs are starting to appear...it plays slow. I have contacted two mechanics relatively close to where I live about new felt and rails.

Mechanic A: told me straight up that the table wasn't worth investing money in and that I should bust the slate with a sledge, move it out of the house, and buy one of his tables

Mechanic B: Told me mechanic A was just trying to sell a table and that there was a chance that he could get it playing as good as i need it to with ridgeback rails and either simonis or championship cloth. He just needed to find out more about the construction of the table to see if it was "a quality table"

My problem is that the mechanic could not find out any information about the table, and to his credit, told me he would be hesitant to recommend spending big bucks on cloth and rails without feeling confident he could get it playing right.

Which brings us back to you good folks. If anyone has any knowledge of this table and whether it would be worth my $$ in having it upgraded would be greatly appreciated. I am a banger, but I want the table playing well so that I can get better and continue to improve. Thanks for your time!

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a house with a pool table in the upstairs man cave. I have not been able to find out much, if anything, about the table.

The only identifying marker on the table is a sticker on the front that says "The Champ model #88, manufactured by Eddie's Amusements Flint, MI" (Eddies Amusements is out of business, or I would have contacted the source).

Anyway, the table looks similar to a valley. It is a barbox (non coin- op), the balls roll straight everywhere, and seems to be very sturdy. (The hip bump test doesn't move the balls at all.

The balls return to the foot of the table where there is a plastic self racking thingamajig.

The reason I am trying to get info is that there is a rip in the felt and little fuzzballs are starting to appear...it plays slow. I have contacted two mechanics relatively close to where I live about new felt and rails.

Mechanic A: told me straight up that the table wasn't worth investing money in and that I should bust the slate with a sledge, move it out of the house, and buy one of his tables

Mechanic B: Told me mechanic A was just trying to sell a table and that there was a chance that he could get it playing as good as i need it to with ridgeback rails and either simonis or championship cloth. He just needed to find out more about the construction of the table to see if it was "a quality table"

My problem is that the mechanic could not find out any information about the table, and to his credit, told me he would be hesitant to recommend spending big bucks on cloth and rails without feeling confident he could get it playing right.

Which brings us back to you good folks. If anyone has any knowledge of this table and whether it would be worth my $$ in having it upgraded would be greatly appreciated. I am a banger, but I want the table playing well so that I can get better and continue to improve. Thanks for your time!

Take some pictures and post them here. There are plenty of people on here that could help identify the table or at least give educated opinions on the worth of having it serviced.

Ridgeback Rails are the best choice in my opinion if it is worth the investment.

After a quick search I found this.

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=2075057#photos

Looks like it is similar to a valley/dynamo so it might be worth the investment.

Last edited:

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a quick search I found this.

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=2075057#photos

Looks like it is similar to a valley/dynamo so it might be worth the investment.

Whoever worked on that one last put an end rail on the side, and a side rail on the end.

To the OP: The one cnyncrvr linked to is a six footer. If yours is a six footer you might want to consider a different table. Six footers get awfully crowded and consequently aren't much fun. Aside from that it looks like a Valley clone so it might be worth keeping. I couldn't give you a more informed opinion without seeing the inside of it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Whoever worked on that one last put an end rail on the side, and a side rail on the end.

To the OP: The one cnyncrvr linked to is a six footer. If yours is a six footer you might want to consider a different table. Six footers get awfully crowded and consequently aren't much fun. Aside from that it looks like a Valley clone so it might be worth keeping. I couldn't give you a more informed opinion without seeing the inside of it.

Doofuses!!! :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey guys thanks for your replies. I had seen the link to the auction posted above and that definitely is the table, though it measures 75" x 37.5". Would this be considered a 6.5 or 7 foot table?

Oddly enough, when I moved into the house and got to looking at the table, I noticed the rails were bass ackwards and put on wrong. (The rail angles were so that the side pockets were wide open) The only other info I have been able to find are two for sale ads below...Again, it seems like an awful sturdy table, just hate to spend the cash to fix it up if it is not going to last me a while...

Ad#1
Price: 400 USD
Commercial quality home pool table the champ 88 Full Slate 7 FT House rack 9 ball Rack House sticks Included Excellent Condition!!!buyer dissaembles Purchased From Eddies Amusment co. Flint mi. (734) 329-1128 Location: fenton mi

Ad#2
Pool tables retain their value over time.
If you purchased a Champ pool table back about 1980, the table should still be worth approximately $1000 now if you put it up for sale. The pool table slate itself is worth approximately $500.
When you buy a 7ft Champ Pool Table, it is easier to move and recover. This will save you money in the long run.
A pool table can be good for the family and give something to do year round. You don't have to buy a lot of gas to go somewhere to be entertained.

The Champ - Home Billiard Table

Features:
•Quick Rack System
•3/4" Diamond-ground Slate
•Automatic ball return
•Built in 2 3/8" cue ball separator
•Nylon-Wool blend billiard cloth
•Double reinforced fiberglass legs with individual levelers

Model Number88 (7ft)
Dimensions 88" x 50" x 31"
Inner Cushion to Inner Cushion 75" x 37.5"
Playfield 3/4" Slate 3/4" Slate
Weight 685 lbs 685 lbs 935 lbs
Suggested Room Size 12'8" x 15'10"

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't give you a more informed opinion without seeing the inside of it.

This is what the mechanic her in Tn was getting at I think. He asked me to look at the bottom of the side walls of the cabinet. Said if the sides were plywood, it was likely a quality table, and if the sides were particle board...not so much. (Makes sense)

THe problem is that I can't see the bottom edge of the side boards without removing the legs and the bottom of the cabinet (Which DOES look to be particle board). Is there anything else I can look for that would give me any clues? Thanks again!

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could unscrew the side molding and remove the rails, that should give you a peek into the cabinet. If you have a helper you could lift the slate out and get a really good look at the condition of everything inside the table and then decide from there which direction to move.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I had seen the link to the auction posted above and that definitely is the table, though it measures 75" x 37.5". Would this be considered a 6.5 or 7 foot table?

Oddly enough, when I moved into the house and got to looking at the table, I noticed the rails were bass ackwards and put on wrong. (The rail angles were so that the side pockets were wide open) The only other info I have been able to find are two for sale ads below...Again, it seems like an awful sturdy table, just hate to spend the cash to fix it up if it is not going to last me a while...

Ad#1
Price: 400 USD
Commercial quality home pool table the champ 88 Full Slate 7 FT House rack 9 ball Rack House sticks Included Excellent Condition!!!buyer dissaembles Purchased From Eddies Amusment co. Flint mi. (734) 329-1128 Location: fenton mi

Ad#2
Pool tables retain their value over time.
If you purchased a Champ pool table back about 1980, the table should still be worth approximately $1000 now if you put it up for sale. The pool table slate itself is worth approximately $500.
When you buy a 7ft Champ Pool Table, it is easier to move and recover. This will save you money in the long run.
A pool table can be good for the family and give something to do year round. You don't have to buy a lot of gas to go somewhere to be entertained.

The Champ - Home Billiard Table

Features:
•Quick Rack System
•3/4" Diamond-ground Slate
•Automatic ball return
•Built in 2 3/8" cue ball separator
•Nylon-Wool blend billiard cloth
•Double reinforced fiberglass legs with individual levelers

Model Number88 (7ft)
Dimensions 88" x 50" x 31"
Inner Cushion to Inner Cushion 75" x 37.5"
Playfield 3/4" Slate 3/4" Slate
Weight 685 lbs 685 lbs 935 lbs
Suggested Room Size 12'8" x 15'10"

A true 7' is 38"×76"

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A true 7' is 38"×76"

Just a follow up on this for those who have been spending sleepless nights worried about this table:grin:

I was able to contact Eddie Flick Billiards Repair in Flint, Michigan. Mr. Flick was very generous with his time and expertise. He used to work as a subcontractor for Eddie's Amusements. The table is a Valley clone built 100% in Flint Michigan, with almost identical construction materials. In fact, when Brunswick bought Valley, they made Eddies Amusements (a Brunswick dealer) stop manufacturing "The Champ model 88" entirely.

According to Mr. Flick, the table is certainly worth investing in new cloth and rubbers (if needed). Thanks again to all who offered their input

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A true 7' is 38"×76"
Sorry to reach out through this old post but COBRA, I’ve read a LOT about you so decided to ask. I’m in bowling green ky looking for a valley 75. The little one. Can you help? Or any slate bed tiny true six footer

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ye
Sorry to reach out through this old post but COBRA, I’ve read a LOT about you so decided to ask. I’m in bowling green ky looking for a valley 75. The little one. Can you help? Or any slate bed tiny true six footer
Yes, Valley made some 6' coin operated tables as well. But you'll more than likely have to look in the Michigan area to find some. Valley was in Bay City when they manufactured them, so check with vending companies around the area, might find some still in storage.