Pool table

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playmaster tables are not very good playing tables- most notably balls hit into the side pockets were randomly rejected due to a flaw in the pocket/rail construction on many of these tables. Once a new room opened in Stamford Ct in the late 1980s with these tables because they were so inexpensive compared to Brunswicks ( the two women owners were sold a bill of goods) - after several years of complaints they were finally replaced with Brunswick GCS.

Playmaster tables are not very good playing tables- most notably balls hit into the side pockets were randomly rejected due to a flaw in the pocket/rail construction on many of these tables. Once a new room opened in Stamford Ct in the late 1980s with these tables because they were so inexpensive compared to Brunswicks ( the two women owners were sold a bill of goods) - after several years of complaints they were finally replaced with Brunswic
What about the AMF playmaster like the one I have. I will admit if you hit the side pocket real hard sometimes it comes back out but since I adjusted the angle of the pocket it doesn't do it nearly as often

Attachments

• 16083142933612577132247298866590.jpg
    16083142933612577132247298866590.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 16083143087924762948350612003575.jpg
    16083143087924762948350612003575.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 75

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the AMF playmaster like the one I have. I will admit if you hit the side pocket real hard sometimes it comes back out but since I adjusted the angle of the pocket it doesn't do it nearly as often
What are you worried about? Look, they're decent home tables. End of story. In NO way do they compare to a top commercial table. They were designed for recreational play in someone's gameroom. For that they are perfectly suited.

What are you worried about? Look, they're decent home tables. End of story. In NO way do they compare to a top commercial table. They were designed for recreational play in someone's gameroom. For that they are perfectly suited.
Your right it plays good for what I'm useing it for. And once I get really good I'll probably upgrade at that point Im just trying to improve to where I could be real good and I think it's a good enough table for that. Thanks for the confidence that it's plenty good for that

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if this was the old commercial grade table like a gold crown https://grandisland.craigslist.org/spo/d/alma-pool-table-ft/7240023484.html
There were a lot of these tables around the Midwest back then. They played okay AFTER you fixed the pockets. At the poolroom in Dayton where I first saw them (in a bowling alley) they put something under the pocket ridges to elevate them maybe an eighth of an inch. That seemed to solve that problem for the most part.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
There were a lot of these tables around the Midwest back then. They played okay AFTER you fixed the pockets. At the poolroom in Dayton where I first saw them (in a bowling alley) they put something under the pocket ridges to elevate them maybe an eighth of an inch. That seemed to solve that problem for the most part.
Have been in Columbus since the 60's and the pic seemed reminiscent of a few alley tables here. 👍