Pool vs. Darts.....holy cow! Why don't we have this??

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-t...nded-four-matches-bad-behavior-175550610.html

I'll admit that I know next to nothing about the darts world. With that said......

Does everyone see that crowd? And the energy that's in the room? What the heck are we doing wrong?

I'm sure to get flamed for saying so, but pool seems like a much more marketable sport than darts.

Apologies for my ignorance here. I just didn't know that it was THAT huge. :eek:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darts is a huge sport in the Netherlands, and to some extent in the UK. The world champs get aired on national TV. The BBC show it here and it gets huge viewings. Pretty much every guy in the UK population has played some sort of pool, usually in a pub. Even though dart boards are in 99% of the traditional style pubs here very few actually bother to play a game. And yet, top darts players are multi-millionaires. Amazing what big sponsors and TV time can do, eh?

One reason I suspect is they target the right crowd. This may offend some but the target audience is mostly working class men, who then bring their wives along and make a party out of it. Beer is in abundance at the venues and its a real party atmosphere. Fans chanting, turning up in fancy dress and having a great time. The players interact with the crowd. They walk in to music like a boxer, they hit a 180 and fist pump and shout in the crowds direction and the crowd go crazy. They take the time after a match to sign autographs, throw some free merchandise into the crowd and some even go back to their dressing room, get cleaned up and go have a beer with the crowd. Why wouldn't you want to experience this? Everyone would. Darts have nailed it. Its a dull sport, and they've made it marketable and enjoyable for people watching both on TV and in person.

No reason pool can't do the same. Its a niche sport just like darts. Don't go the way of snooker for Gods sake. An 80 break only gets a mutter and a few claps now a days by the ageing crowd. Pool isn't a long drawn out affair, its a smash and grab kinda game like darts; over in the blink of an eye. The atmosphere should emulate that. Chanting, cheering beer spilled, crowds that aren't affraid to go nuts when a player makes a great shot, and most importantly players that show some form of emotion. No one can relate to a robot that doesn't hit the table now and then or shouts "come on!!!" and. fists pumps the crowd when they've stole a game from under their opponents nose.

They need a big sponsor, VERY big. The easiest big sponsors to get for pool IMO would be alcohol companies. Encourage a party atmosphere at events, cheap booze that's moderated so people don't start rioting. Even if people don't like pool they're going to turn up just for cheap beer and the chance to shout their heart out.

Most importantly the players need to take responsibility to make pool more appealing. As good as SVB is, I'd rather watch Earl go on a rant or Efren smile and interact with the crowd when he flukes a ball or messes up a simple shot. Not just go about their business like a machine, take a cheque at the end and disappear.

Darts turned their sh*t around pretty damn quick. Absolutely no reason pool can't reap the same rewards.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Darts is a huge sport in the Netherlands, and to some extent in the UK. The world champs get aired on national TV. The BBC show it here and it gets huge viewings. Pretty much every guy in the UK population has played some sort of pool, usually in a pub. Even though dart boards are in 99% of the traditional style pubs here very few actually bother to play a game. And yet, top darts players are multi-millionaires. Amazing what big sponsors and TV time can do, eh?

One reason I suspect is they target the right crowd. This may offend some but the target audience is mostly working class men, who then bring their wives along and make a party out of it. Beer is in abundance at the venues and its a real party atmosphere. Fans chanting, turning up in fancy dress and having a great time. The players interact with the crowd. They walk in to music like a boxer, they hit a 180 and fist pump and shout in the crowds direction and the crowd go crazy. They take the time after a match to sign autographs, throw some free merchandise into the crowd and some even go back to their dressing room, get cleaned up and go have a beer with the crowd. Why wouldn't you want to experience this? Everyone would. Darts have nailed it. Its a dull sport, and they've made it marketable and enjoyable for people watching both on TV and in person.

No reason pool can't do the same. Its a niche sport just like darts. Don't go the way of snooker for Gods sake. An 80 break only gets a mutter and a few claps now a days by the ageing crowd. Pool isn't a long drawn out affair, its a smash and grab kinda game like darts; over in the blink of an eye. The atmosphere should emulate that. Chanting, cheering beer spilled, crowds that aren't affraid to go nuts when a player makes a great shot, and most importantly players that show some form of emotion. No one can relate to a robot that doesn't hit the table now and then or shouts "come on!!!" and. fists pumps the crowd when they've stole a game from under their opponents nose.

They need a big sponsor, VERY big. The easiest big sponsors to get for pool IMO would be alcohol companies. Encourage a party atmosphere at events, cheap booze that's moderated so people don't start rioting. Even if people don't like pool they're going to turn up just for cheap beer and the chance to shout their heart out.

Most importantly the players need to take responsibility to make pool more appealing. As good as SVB is, I'd rather watch Earl go on a rant or Efren smile and interact with the crowd when he flukes a ball or messes up a simple shot. Not just go about their business like a machine, take a cheque at the end and disappear.

Darts turned their sh*t around pretty damn quick. Absolutely no reason pool can't reap the same rewards.

Not gonna lie.......I agree with you on pretty much every point.

Pool needs characters, just as much as it needs sponsors. Now, I know it's tough to shoot sometimes when there's even a little bit of chatter going on, but the Mosconi Cup is my dream of what pool should be like. Loud, boisterous (but respectful) between shots......then a quick dead silence during the shot. Then the crowd reacts at the appropriate time.

I just don't think pool, as a quiet, robotic game will fare as well as it could......compared to true characters with charisma, table presence.....and crowds very much encouraged to get involved in a more vocal (again, yet respectful) manner.

People want to see conflict and feel like they're part of it.

The video in my original link.......that arena was ELECTRIC. What I would give to see players like Archer, SVB, Alex, Earl, Melling, Efren, Justin Hall, etc. etc. getting those kinds of responses.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I urge you to watch some MMTV (money match TV) games. Its a streamed pool channel on ustream that's mainly for British amateurs, and the occasional pro.

Basically they match up and request a match against opponents and play for their own money, some matches involved a lot of money. The one rule to play in the event is you have to bring 5 friends.

It gets insanely loud even though its an amateur event that's broadcast on the internet. I've played in it lots of times and my friends go friggin' crazy! Then my opponents are like "they aren't out-shouting us" so they go even crazier, which riles you up so when you win a game you end up going crazy and the whole crowd reacts. THIS is what pool should be. MMTV have got it spot on. Wouldn't suprise me if MMTV streams get more hits than some pro streams. And all this from a nation with a very low American pool following. Why aren't broadcasters in America getting on this bandwagon?

Firstly, the game needs to pull their fingers out their ass' and stop with this every man for themselves attitude. First step a governing body that Is responsible for everything that's televised. All (I use this term lightly) they would have to do is land one major sponsor and it would cover everything televised, instead of some events having sponsors and some struggling. Plus it would add some credibility to the sport. They could then create a tour and give players a reliable income and spread the game around the country.

The last Mosconi Cup was electric! Some of the British fans over stepped the mark and should have been made to be respectful or leave but other than that its a shame I can't watch something like that every week. I got to watch most of it in person and it was great. I'd easily have payed 3 or 4 times more for it. Usually I go away feeling like I've been robbed after watching a live match.

Make it enjoyable to watch and people will pay good money for it. More money means more TV time and with TV time comes a flood of willing sponsors.

Dukes_Lounge

The rookie
My crew play as much Darts as we play pool, (as I've installed a dart board in my cafe too lol) and let me tell ya;
There's a certain type of excitement that goes along with Darts.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Pool as much as everyone here, and the excitement I get from pool can be overwhelming. However, keeping in mind that Pool has a high level of strategy involved, the excitement comes with how the game as being played, and it's panned out through the game. It's not about the balls being pocketed, but more HOW and WHEN they are pocketed.

But, with Darts, it's like watching Usain sprint, or michael Phelps swim; the joy, result, and the satisfaction is almost instant, and it comes down to that last shot on the double.

My opinion anyways :)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
What the heck are we doing wrong?

'No player or member shall act in a manner which may reasonably be considered to injure or discredit the DRA or bring the game of darts into disrepute.'

We have no real governing body.
No one cares about being an adult.
No one enforces the rules.

Europe is also very different than here. It's much easier to sell pub games to people who actually know what pubs are. Oh, and they can gamble.

PS: You're invited to the 181st World One Pocket Championship. My basement, Tuesday night. Sanctioned by Billy-Bobs Bait Shop and Catering.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
'No player or member shall act in a manner which may reasonably be considered to injure or discredit the DRA or bring the game of darts into disrepute.'

We have no real governing body.
No one cares about being an adult.
No one enforces the rules.

Europe is also very different than here. It's much easier to sell pub games to people who actually know what pubs are. Oh, and they can gamble.

PS: You're invited to the 181st World One Pocket Championship. My basement, Tuesday night. Sanctioned by Billy-Bobs Bait Shop and Catering.

SWEET! Is it BYOCB (Bring Your Own Cue Ball) at Billy-Bob's? :smile: