Poolhall Junkies

Davey

Registered
Anyone know when Poolhall Junkies is coming to video or to rent? I don't live near any of the big city's that they were showing the movie at so I missed out. If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

T

tim

Pool hall Junkies...

I don't know about the renting possibilities with regards to Pool Hall Junkies, but I Live in Boston, MA and supposedly the movie was set to play in theaters on the 21st of March and so far, I have yet to see any play times scheduled.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
it didn't even come out yet here in T.O. It's going to be showed this week on friday in the theatres. and i will be watching it for sure after work:D

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
PHJ is dead in the water. the hoped-for second wide release will not happen because of poor showing. expect the video release soon.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
While I didn't think this movie was going to be the 'shot in the arm' that Color of Money was, I still thought it would be good for the industry.

Unfortunately, it appears to have been promoted very poorly and a lost cause now.

It is really a shame, since it is not a bad movie.

Mike

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:

Unfortunately, it appears to have been promoted very poorly and a lost cause now.

It is really a shame, since it is not a bad movie.

Mike

i think they did all they could do. promoting a movie starts with the people behind it or the actors in it. and all they REALLY had was walken. he was on SNL and some early morning show the week of the opening.

i expect that a movie studio would be cautious about how they spend their ad cash if they have no one to build around. this kind of movie needed word-of-mouth.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
I have a feeling it's going to be a hit here in Toronto......since well every pool hall i've been to has either a poster of some sort from the movie or someone promoting it. I still can't wait to watch it.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
bruin70 said:
i think they did all they could do. promoting a movie starts with the people behind it or the actors in it. and all they REALLY had was walken. he was on SNL and some early morning show the week of the opening.

i expect that a movie studio would be cautious about how they spend their ad cash if they have no one to build around. this kind of movie needed word-of-mouth.

Chazz Palminteri should have been a bit of a draw.

Even though I didn't care for his acting in it, Rod Steiger should have been a draw too.

Walken was definitely the main draw though.

Mike

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
Walkin and Chazz was on The Conan O'Brian show and i didn't hear them promoting the movie. Walkin talked about his other movie that he did.

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
The movie will sell on vidio. The people that were promoting the movie needed some help.

The movie was good. If you are a pool player, you will understand it. If you don't know pool you will be lost.

The script was ok, and the film quality was horrible.

I don't blame Walken for not promoting the movie eventhough he was the best part of it.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Cardinal_Syn said:
Walkin and Chazz was on The Conan O'Brian show and i didn't hear them promoting the movie. Walkin talked about his other movie that he did.

wow. that's sucks, man

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
wow. that's sucks, man
then walkin went on Jay Leno.....even then he still didn't talk about it....geeez...i think he has no faith in this film.

I heard it's out on video in Finland already.

Davey

Registered
According to the blockbuster site in australia the movie has been out for a while now. Wonder how I can get one of them. MMMMM..want to watch movie!!

dennis

Living To Learn!
I heard there is a new movie coming out called"pool hall prophets
starring freddy prinze jr. Anyone heard of it?
later,
dennis;)

K

Ken in CT

The DVDs have been available in Australia for many months. They can be bought on Ebay but are in PAL format. If you don't know that you can play PAL DVDs then you probably can't. They are a bit pricey also.
Ken

carlton31698

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one yesterday. I didn’t know anything about pal format. What is it? Did I just pay for something I cannot use? I hope not.:mad: :confused:

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
Ken in CT said:
The DVDs have been available in Australia for many months. They can be bought on Ebay but are in PAL format. If you don't know that you can play PAL DVDs then you probably can't. They are a bit pricey also.
Ken

I won an auction on ebay 2 weeks ago for a "PoolHall Junkies" dvd in the PAL format.I received it on Friday 4/4.I watched it twice over the weekend on my new pc.On computers with dvd drives you have the ability to change the regional coding. I thought the movie was pretty good.No "Hustler" here but I definately thought it was as good as "The Color of Money" if not better(different but better).I have a friend who is a computer geek type who is attempting to copy the dvd into NTCS format(U.S. regional code).I`ll know within a day or 2 how he makes out.Then I`ll be able to share it with a few of my friends <w>.Maybe I`ll even have a copy at the next Killer B event.....know what I mean Timplow.See you Sunday.

George

Last edited:
K

Ken in CT

George, Just for the sake of clarification, regional code and PAL/NTSC are two seperate issues. The DVDs being sold on Ebay have no regional code and can be played in all regions. They do, however, require a player that is capable of playing PAL format which most U.S. players will not do. Also, most U.S. TVs will not support PAL making the DVDs useless for those systems.

Pllaying them on the computer is another story and I have no knowledge regarding that matter. Since you are able to play it on your computer then it seems that the DVDs can be used here. It might also be possible for you to put out an NTSC siignal and copy it onto tape. I don't know. I don't have any of that new-fangled equipment.
Ken