Poolhalls in Philippines

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for info on the poolhalls in Manila/Makati and Cebu.

Where are the best places to play?

Thanks,

Russ.....

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
What are you looking for? The best action for yourself, or the top players in action for viewing? Or, maybe you're a beast and these 2 things aren't mutually exclusive!

Regardless, I'm jealous and best of fortune! Please post up some of your experiences and if you can post pic's, that'd be da bomb.

Piercyexclusive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for info on the poolhalls in Manila/Makati and Cebu.

Where are the best places to play?

Thanks,

Russ.....

go to the malls.... that's where you'll meet the rich people with plenty of money.... but cann't play to well... easy...
If you want good people to challenge you you'll just have to wait till someone comes up and ask you to play them.... lay low. a good one is in las pinas sm mall second floor. then there's one on the outside in front of the mall...

ologapo ..... the bars till someone comes up and offers a game... people tend to hide. well till they can find someone they think is easy game....

Cebu .... definetly the mall Ayala in cebu city. it's a good inviroment.
Good players ...... go down town stay at a hotel call mercedes hotel.... the cheapest and great hotel staff... they just went through a renovation... step out take a left walk till you get to the main road... cross it .... then take a left just walk down that road and you'll past another mall .... nothing there then after you pass it youll past a money exchange booth and it'll be there near the booth on the bottom floor.
if you go here you'll loose alot of freaking money. or you can take a taxi to Beverly hills tell the cab man you want to go near the hotel in beverly hills and you'll pass a pool hall there.... mainly foreigners with lots of dough and cann't play. just lay low you'll make the money if you beat them out of enough you'll eventually get a good money game. I suggest you stay out of local scenes you'll get robbed .... I mean at knife point or by a gun....

good luck

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
go to the malls.... that's where you'll meet the rich people with plenty of money.... but cann't play to well... easy...
If you want good people to challenge you you'll just have to wait till someone comes up and ask you to play them.... lay low. a good one is in las pinas sm mall second floor. then there's one on the outside in front of the mall...

ologapo ..... the bars till someone comes up and offers a game... people tend to hide. well till they can find someone they think is easy game....

Cebu .... definetly the mall Ayala in cebu city. it's a good inviroment.
Good players ...... go down town stay at a hotel call mercedes hotel.... the cheapest and great hotel staff... they just went through a renovation... step out take a left walk till you get to the main road... cross it .... then take a left just walk down that road and you'll past another mall .... nothing there then after you pass it youll past a money exchange booth and it'll be there near the booth on the bottom floor.
if you go here you'll loose alot of freaking money. or you can take a taxi to Beverly hills tell the cab man you want to go near the hotel in beverly hills and you'll pass a pool hall there.... mainly foreigners with lots of dough and cann't play. just lay low you'll make the money if you beat them out of enough you'll eventually get a good money game. I suggest you stay out of local scenes you'll get robbed .... I mean at knife point or by a gun....

good luck

Thanks for the info. I got my hotel as squared away. Not looking to rob or get robbed. Just play some sets with the good players there. The World Cup is going on, so there should be some good players.

:)

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you looking for? The best action for yourself, or the top players in action for viewing? Or, maybe you're a beast and these 2 things aren't mutually exclusive!

Regardless, I'm jealous and best of fortune! Please post up some of your experiences and if you can post pic's, that'd be da bomb.

Both!! I would like to watch/sweat some pros gambling and I want to play some of the good players there too. I am a B on a good day, so not looking to lose alot of money, but I'll play cheap sets all night long.

I will try to get some pics suitable for posting here too!!!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that One Side (?) has some monster players. I have watched it on You Tube. That's where SVB played Lee Van and a bunch of others. I would love to go there and lose my money.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that One Side (?) has some monster players. I have watched it on You Tube. That's where SVB played Lee Van and a bunch of others. I would love to go there and lose my money.

I have heard of that place and will check it out.

Thanks!

kaduku

If you're looking for a good pool hall in Makati, Makati Cinema Square is a pretty good place to go.

Some AZers such as AnitoKid, Masirib, and Sygfrid go there from time to time.

Sometimes I'll see Boy Samson, Django and Efren go there. On a very good nite even Rubilen Amit and Iris Ranola will be around.

Although One Side might be a better place for you since it's near the World Cupo of Pool venue Robinson's Place in Ermita, Manila. (http://www.matchroompool.com/page/WorldCupofPool/NewsDetail/0,,12660~2103582,00.html)

Enjoy! :grin::grin:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're looking for a good pool hall in Makati, Makati Cinema Square is a pretty good place to go.

Some AZers such as AnitoKid, Masirib, and Sygfrid go there from time to time.

Sometimes I'll see Boy Samson, Django and Efren go there. On a very good nite even Rubilen Amit and Iris Ranola will be around.

Although One Side might be a better place for you since it's near the World Cupo of Pool venue Robinson's Place in Ermita, Manila. (http://www.matchroompool.com/page/WorldCupofPool/NewsDetail/0,,12660~2103582,00.html)

Enjoy! :grin::grin:

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!!

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Some of my favorite pool halls! In no particular order:

1. One Side (Manila) - pros come here whenever there's an ongoing
international competition

2. AMF-Puyat Superbowl (Makati Cinema Square, Makati City) - home of the
Makati Pool Players Association (MAPPA - amateur billiards club - MY HOME!).

This is where Efren, Django, Boy Luat, Rubilen Amit, Iris Ranola, etc. play
whenever they are not competing abroad. They go to OneSide whenever
there is action, e.g., during the staging of international competitions here.

3. Rack Em Up - (Finlandia Street, Makati) - a billiards bar.
Great food! (Try the Lechon Kawali!). Mini tournaments like 2-4 times a week.

4. Star Billiards (Grace Village, Quezon City) More than 40 original
Brunswick tables (i lost count!) Play all you can - for free! Home of bilyar.NET

*All these pool halls are airconditioned, with guards, and are great places
to play and hang out at. And I kid you not!

AnitoKid

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member

Brunswick tables (i lost count!) Play all you can - for free! Home of bilyar.NET

AnitoKid

A good list, havent tried Rack Em Up yet, on my list now.

What about the place close to / in Pan Pacific? Is that just a 1 table setup?

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Pan Pacific in Manila - there are two Brunswick tables
there (around Php 400 / hour) - 5th floor.

On the same floor are poker games / tournaments.

Several nice places to eat there, too.

Btw, more pool halls in Makati City:

Filling Station - Burgos Street, Makati City. It's open 24-hours
a day, lots of tables, smoking and non-smoking areas, lots of
foreigners and girls. A billiards bar.

HandleBar - Polaris Street, Makati City (near Filling Station)
Home of the Mad Dogs biker club - mostly foreigners on Harley Davidsons.
Serves great steak - IMO! A billiards bar.

AnitoKid

P.S.

Rack Em Up is owned by three friends of mine - all passionate
about pool. It has a different atmosphere from all the pool halls
I play at because it is a billiards bar. Nice music. Good food.
And great people.

It has 5 Kangaroo tables and 2 Brunswick look-alike tables.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Lest I forget! There's also HardRock Cafe, Makati!
It's in Glorietta, Makati City.

2 tables here - plus lots of music and performers.

Good food! Lots of locals and foreigners, too.

AnitoKid

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

AnitoKid

Thank you Sir! ..... and I kid u not!!! :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walk down any street in Manila and you'll find a little pool hall with old tables, funny rolls and lots of players. They will line up to play you if you're any good. You can play all day for 50-200p a game ($1-$5), and sets for 1,000p. But be ready to play Rotation and listen carefully when they explain the rules. It will be very challenging but lots of fun.

In every neighborhood there is at least one nice billiard bar, usually upstairs. I see them all the time riding around on the jeepneys and taxis. Sometimes I just tell the driver to let me out and I wander in. I've never failed to get a game and quick too. They want to take on a foreigner. Almost all the malls have a pool room as well. I've played in a bunch of them and we attracted big crowds, even in the middle of the day. Filipinos love to sweat pool, and they'll stay and watch until you're done. And they'll cheer for you as well as the local guy. If you make a good shot, you'll get high fives and big smiles. These people just love to see good pool.

The best player is usually the owner of the room. I've literally played more pool (for money) in the Philippines the last four years than in the states by far. The biggest game I've played was in Angeles with a guy who claimed to have mentored Efren, named Lucky. We played 1,000p a game Eight Ball. In Angeles there are a million bars and hotels, all with one or two pool tables. All nine footers by the way. But there is little gambling there unless you want to play one of the best two or three players in town. Yes I've played them too. :smile: I found some very good players in Angeles that no one has ever heard of. As in they don't miss a ball! I got beat playing One Pocket by one guy but got even playing Banks. That seems to be the only game I have an edge in over there. They don't know One Pocket but they make balls from everywhere, including off the end rail, and cutting balls backwards.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay H !!

I appreciate your input and I read with earnest all your stories from the Phils.

Take care buddy... :)