popped slate

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My GCIII was recovered/releveled in May 2005. No problems at all until just recently. One of the slates has popped. Not too suprising as the table sits on a floating slab basement floor. What is a little unusual, at least to me is this. The extent of the popped slate is only about 15 inches. It starts about 4 inches from the rail. It is the foot end slate that is high. The mechanic who did the table in 05 used wax on the seams. Should I insist on him using "liquid Dowels" or bondo next time? A different mechanic suggested that it may be just the wax that has popped up in that section. He says it may be corrected with some heat from a hair dryer and a rolling pin. I'm thinking that it would melt and stain the cloth and to fix it right you need to remove the cloth and reshim and fill the seams. BTW, the cloth is not in need of replacement.

Comments and suggestions welcome...........Paul

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Paul Mon said:
My GCIII was recovered/releveled in May 2005. No problems at all until just recently. One of the slates has popped. Not too suprising as the table sits on a floating slab basement floor. What is a little unusual, at least to me is this. The extent of the popped slate is only about 15 inches. It starts about 4 inches from the rail. It is the foot end slate that is high. The mechanic who did the table in 05 used wax on the seams. Should I insist on him using "liquid Dowels" or bondo next time? A different mechanic suggested that it may be just the wax that has popped up in that section. He says it may be corrected with some heat from a hair dryer and a rolling pin. I'm thinking that it would melt and stain the cloth and to fix it right you need to remove the cloth and reshim and fill the seams. BTW, the cloth is not in need of replacement.

Comments and suggestions welcome...........Paul

Paul,

Have your mechanic remove the cloth, remove the wax (lacquer thinner works great) re level the slate, glue the seams (super glue) bondo the joints and re apply the cloth. That should take care of the problem.

After 4 years of trouble free playing It would be appropriate to pay for this service. Your table installation is well past the warranty.

Jay

Last edited:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I don't think your mechanics should be responsible either,I agree with Jay. The fact that he used wax or didn't glue the seams is consider to be the standard. Next time you should check your mechanics methods before you make a your decision.

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A-1 billiards said:
Paul,

Have your mechanic remove the cloth, remove the wax (lacquer thinner works great) re level the slate, glue the seams (super glue) bondo the joints and re apply the cloth. That should take care of the problem.

After 4 years of trouble free playing It would be appropriate to pay for this service. Your table installation is well past the warranty.

Jay

Thanks Jay. I agree that it is not due to anything the mechanic did upon installation. If my basement floor is shifting slightly, either slowly over a long time or rapidly over a short time. Will the super glue and bondo help in preventing a reoccurence? Is it more robust than only wax?

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Paul Mon said:
Thanks Jay. I agree that it is not due to anything the mechanic did upon installation. If my basement floor is shifting slightly, either slowly over a long time or rapidly over a short time. Will the super glue and bondo help in preventing a reoccurence? Is it more robust than only wax?

Absolutely. This procedure will bond the slates in place. Even if your floor settles or shifts the slate seams will remain stable if done properly.

Jay