position play

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing a few posts, where not crossing the cue ball track in playing position was mentioned, could someone explain this a little, or point me in the direction where there is some info on it. I need help with my nine ball game, thanks for any info.

charlieeeh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean by crossing the cue ball track. The closest I could relate to would be going into the angle of the shot gives you a larger room for error in speed, rather than "crossing" the path and trying to play perfect speed.

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
Ok, sorry I have no diagrams but I'll try to make it easy:

when you're shooting a ball, you have many options to get position for the next.
The key is to choose a pattern of CB, after potting the OB, that comes "parallel" to next shooting line, instead of crossing it!
This way, if you over shoot, you 're still in line with next shot!

Of course is not always possible, but start from analysing how many different patterns you can get from a shot!
Like, potting and following,or drawing, or bouncing one rail, or two rails etc...

after a while gets "natural" to choose the right pattern!
Probably I didn't made it easier, nut that's my .02 cents!!

Happy shooting! :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I am going to try this today.
Don't forget that you can roll parallel to the next ball's shot line going away from the next pocket as well as toward it. Here's an example:

If you take the "easy" shot (A) to play the 2 in the corner, you might roll too far and be looking at a scratch in the side.

But if you hit a little harder and maybe a little lower (B), you can shoot the 2 in the side with lots of room for the CB to roll.

pj
chgo

shape.jpg

plfrg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an image that shows position paths to avoid (at bottom of image). These paths travel across the narrow parts of the position zone which is likely what you're referring to. Preferred paths are shown at top of image.

Not sure you can clearly see it in these small images.

Attachments

• position-zones.gif
    position-zones.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 377