Possible Lathe for sale

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possible sale on this lathe.

This lathe has many upgraded features over the standard taig parts that might not be apparent at first glance. There are several Hightower parts here that I bought directly from him. The headstock is the large 1.4 bore with indexing built in. Bed is 4ft long, and yes It has the full length gear rack. This means the carriage can travel the length of the bed. The carriage and cross slide are the spring loaded version that comes on the deluxe models. It already had the bearing that rides on taper bars should the buyer want to add those. The carriage is also setup to accept a Hightower power feed although that is not included. I only have one, and that is used on My deluxe. The motor Is a Wonder Motor. It's variable speed with reverse and a digital tach. I machined the bracket and control box to mount to the headstock via the T-slots on the side, so that the whole unit can be positioned anywhere on the bed way with ease. The motor is not super heavy duty, but handles tip,ferule, and shaft work. Drilling operations are better suited using sharp good quality drills, and not really suitable for any heavy drilling. I have done ferrules and other smaller holes, but I wouldn't try to do anything too heavy that requires a large amount of torque or rpms will fluctuate quite a bit. In that case I would suggest replacing the motor with something more powerful. It has worked for me for basic repair, although I only used it on a few times on rare occasion, and never even mounted the lathe to a base, so parts are still practically new. I have not tried It, but I believe the motor would work fine for router tapering operations if a taper bar was added. I know the carriage really feels smooth and tight, much nicer then My old deluxe model that has seen much wear and tear.

Things to note... there is slight bits of surface rust starting on the jaws, and a few other spots, but nothing too major. The lathe has just been sitting for a few months while My focus has been on the renovation I have been doing. should clean up easily though.

The steady rest in the picture is not included that goes on My deluxe, but for the right price I may be persuaded to include It.

The calipers laying on the slide are not included.

What is included- Headstock with motor, tail stock with chuck, bed way with gear rack, spring loaded carriage, and risers to bring the headstock and tail stock level with the deluxe carriage & large hand wheel with large pinion gear. will include 1 tool post too, but no tooling included other then what's listed. I'm open for reasonable offers, but For this stuff alone I would like to get best offer over $1000, plus shipping, continental US only.

Not included in that price, but I also have a couple of heavy duty aluminum gussets that could be machined down to mount taper bars to. Also 1 piece of 1"x1-1/2" x 43" aluminum bar, and 2 pieces of 1/4"x1-1/2"x35-3/4" aluminum that could be machined into taper bars. Have some 1/2"x1" strips of some kind delrin, or star board type material that may could be slotted for adjustable shaft bars. not sure what kind of material It is but seems to have the right amount amount of flex to make taper bars from. I may include these items for an extra cost.

Anyhow I am just putting a feeler out there to see if there is any interest, so if anyone is in the market, feel free to make an offer.

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

• forsalecuelathe1.jpg
    forsalecuelathe1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,509
  • cuelatheheadstock1.jpg
    cuelatheheadstock1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,471
Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Greg, sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope all works out for the best. It's always hard to part with things like a lathe etc. in time of need.
Good luck with the sale.
Dave

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg, sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope all works out for the best. It's always hard to part with things like a lathe etc. in time of need.
Good luck with the sale.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the well wishes. yeah, It seems like every time I start to ahead again, something else happens. last 10 years have been a roller coaster. Everything I'm working towards now is in attempt change that, and have a little more added security plus A bigger shop and more equipment to fill it. I just hope It pays off. I hate to let the lathe go, But I will still have enough equipment to do what I have to for now, and besides that may not have enough room to set It all up again for at least a few months anyhow. I may just set up enough to handle My repair load. Keeping this one would make life a lot easier though. I was gonna use It for tapering, and point work, and occasional repair when My other equipment was tied up with something else. Much easier when you have enough to leave things dialed in.

Greg

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I machined one of the strips to make a shaft taper bar last night, and may end up keeping the lathe if there is not enough interest, but I do have another small bore headstock that I can probably use on this lathe for the time being, so if anyone is interested in this large bore headstock to upgrade their own lathe, then I'll consider separating It, and let It go for $275. I just paid $325 for It back in March of this year, so if You have been wanting one with the larger through hole, then here's a chance to save a few bucks. This is for the headstock only.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been asked questions regarding price, and It seems that I may have been confusing with My description, so I'm gonna try to lay out a flat prices here and what is included.

For Everything in these pictures I will take $1100 + shipping

Attachments

• forsalecuelathe5.jpg
    forsalecuelathe5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,072
  • forsalecuelathe4.jpg
    forsalecuelathe4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,017

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Everything in the above post, and everything in these pictures I'll take $1250 + Shipping. Still taking offers, so feel free to make those, but these prices will secure and buy it now.

Attachments

• forsalecuelathe3.jpg
    forsalecuelathe3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • forsalecuelathe6.jpg
    forsalecuelathe6.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,063

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to give fair warning, so last chance on this lathe, If It doesn't sell in the next couple of days I'm either gonna list on Ebay, or break it down and sell some of the parts that I have received inquiries about. If anyone is still interested in the lathe as a whole or wants to make an offer then please let me know before I break It Down. I know the economy is bad, and the time of year is bad for most folks, but I expected that It would have sold already. I have had interest, but no serious buyers yet other then for some of the parts. I'd prefer to sell It all together if possible though.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lathe is sold pending Payment. Thanks to those that showed interest. If anything changes or the deal doesn't go through, then I'll keep You all posted.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lathe Is available again, Buyer just informed me that he was laid off today and had to back out. I would rather sell this as a whole, but do have serious buyers that want to split the parts. I've had a lot of tire beaters showing interest in the lathe as a whole, but this Is my last attempt to complete a deal. I'll drop both prices I listed By $100 so $1000 for the the lathe, and $1150 for everything. If I don't get a serious buyer for the whole lathe this afternoon, then it's either going on ebay, or I will split It up between the 2 buyers interested in the parts. if It goes on ebay then I will be asking more for It.

Thanks Greg

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why I'm posting this because I'm working on listing this at auction anyhow, but judging by some of the pm's I have received, I feel the need to clarify that this is not a stock taig lathe that had a longer bed added to It. There's actually very few parts that are stock.

Although the headstock looks stock, it isn't, It is actually a entirely different casting that is larger then the stock version. it's triple bearing, and The spindle bore is also larger at 1.4", so a cue butt will fit through It.

The carriage and cross slide are also not stock. It's the same as the one that comes on a deluxe. It's spring loaded with a taper bar bearing, has the large handle and pinion gear like the deluxe has. A deluxe power feed will bolt right up to it without any modification.

The bed way has full length travel, and has the large gear rack to match the large hand wheel and pinion gear.

So anyhow after the shipping costs that I paid, those 3 parts alone would cover My asking price. I just want to be clear that this was not a stock lathe that I was trying to jack the price up on. I have well more then I was asking into It. I may be guilty of not describing It well enough though.

My apologies for any confusion created on My part.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold the headstock, tailstock, and risers off of this lathe. I still have the bed way, and matching carriage from It. If anyone is interested I'll take $525 + shipping for them. Before shipping costs that's $100 less off what I paid for It earlier this year.

These are still in new condition, little to no use at all. Here's some pictures of the Carriage. Everything pictured in this post is included. Of coarse not pictured, but also included are the bed way, and matching gear rack. It's already bubble wrapped and packed in pvc for protection during shipping or I would have taken a picture of it by Itself. It can be seen in the pictures above though.

Just add your headstock tailstock risers, and your ready to roll with a 4 foot bed, carriage and spring loaded cross slide.

Attachments

• ebaylatheparts7.jpg
    ebaylatheparts7.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 626
  • ebaylatheparts8.jpg
    ebaylatheparts8.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 620
  • ebaylatheparts9.jpg
    ebaylatheparts9.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 625
  • ebaylatheparts10.jpg
    ebaylatheparts10.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 621
  • ebaylatheparts11.jpg
    ebaylatheparts11.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 624

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also still have these parts here, and if someone buys the bed and carriage, and would want them, then I will make them a really good deal on these materials to go with It. You can make your own taper bars from them. The slotting has already been done, just need to drill & tap some holes and set them up.

Attachments

• forsalecuelathe3.jpg
    forsalecuelathe3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 656

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also still have these parts here, and if someone buys the bed and carriage, and would want them, then I will make them a really good deal on these materials to go with It. You can make your own taper bars from them. The slotting has already been done, just need to drill & tap some holes and set them up.

Is the carriage anodized or plain aluminum?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the carriage anodized or plain aluminum?

To be honest I'm not sure about the carriage. It is the same carriage as what comes on a deluxe though, so whatever they are, It should be. It also has the large pinion and hand wheel like a deluxe has, and the bed has the matching Gear rack on It. I'm pretty sure the bed way is anodized or hardened in some way. The 2 match very well, It's very smooth and rigid. As can be seen the carriage is already setup for tapering too. It's a true deluxe carriage. Listed on the invoice as "Spring loaded deluxe carriage"

There's nothing wrong with It, It's practically brand new. I just need the extra funds more for a remodel that I'm doing right now then I need the extra lathe, and I have other equipment to get me through until I am able to get another one.

Thanks Greg

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Where can I find a motor control like that?

Not that I NEED one but my curiousity was peaked and I was wondering the same thing,lol.

Also, I have been in desperate need of a spring loaded carriage but won't have funds available until Feb. to buy one, if it wasn't for that, I would try to buy the carriage off of you seperately. Hopefully one will come up towards the first of next year.