Possible to remove 2" from butt?

ShipwreckSteve

I purchased a cue that is about 2" longer (not including pin) than a standard cue, mainly because of the connection to the cue maker. I would like to use this in rotation with my other cues, but it being beyond standard length, does not fit in any of my cases. Are there any services available to remove a couple of inches toward the top end of the butt (there is plenty of room) and re-insert the pin? Or is it just something I have to accept that it will screw up too many things or just isn't feasible?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The entire butt will need to be retapered and refinished it will be expensive. Many cases will fit a 31" butt or shaft that's the more obvious solution.

ShipwreckSteve

The entire butt will need to be retapered and refinished it will be expensive. Many cases will fit a 31" butt or shaft that's the more obvious solution.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately the maker has since passed so I cannot reach out to him. Probably just buy a separate case so I can use if I want to take it out. My JB butterfly just doesn't work. May need to get one from him and ask for a couple extra inches for it. Not including bumper, its 33" from end to pin end

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Middle is a 30" butt in my standard JB case. Plenty of room if it was longer
66ac3d6615a6ca1349a417e0879ebbc4.jpg

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
Then it's possibly more than 2" longer which is a bit ridiculous unless you're 8' tally
I think this statement is ridiculous! I’m 5’10” (long arms) and I use a 60” cue. I’m thinking of making myself a 62” cue so on some shots I’m not holding the cue at the very end.

One size definitely doesn’t fit all.

ShipwreckSteve

I think this statement is ridiculous! I’m 5’10” (long arms) and I use a 60” cue. I’m thinking of making myself a 62” cue so on some shots I’m not holding the cue at the very end.

One size definitely doesn’t fit all.
Yeah I'm 6'1 and I use a standard cue but add a 4" balanceright extension.

billsey

Registered
I'm also 6'1" and use a 4" extension on everything except one of my break cues, and that's just because I can't find an extension that fits that odd pin.

Hard Knock Cues

I've got a McDermott case that's supposed to take up to a 32 in. The black one with green Trimmings, it has the double straps for backpack style. I'm out of town and can't double check that now.

I do see how the longer cue could mess you up playing in rotation with your other length cues.

Catalin is correct. If you take the 2 inches off the top of the butt it will have to be re-tapered to match the shaft diameter at the joint. If both shaft and butt are the same length, then One option might be to take an inch off the bottom of the butt and an inch off the tip of the shaft. Although you may have to re-taper the shaft a bit, it would be less invasive I think than redoing the butt. Of course it also depends on what you have for a butt cap, weight bolt, and all the other details.

Full disclosure, I am just an amateur at cue making. I am curious what the more experienced cue makers would consider in this situation though.

Cheers,
Robert

ShipwreckSteve

I've got a McDermott case that's supposed to take up to a 32 in. The black one with green Trimmings, it has the double straps for backpack style. I'm out of town and can't double check that now.

I do see how the longer cue could mess you up playing in rotation with your other length cues.

Catalin is correct. If you take the 2 inches off the top of the butt it will have to be re-tapered to match the shaft diameter at the joint. If both shaft and butt are the same length, then One option might be to take an inch off the bottom of the butt and an inch off the tip of the shaft. Although you may have to re-taper the shaft a bit, it would be less invasive I think than redoing the butt. Of course it also depends on what you have for a butt cap, weight bolt, and all the other details.

Full disclosure, I am just an amateur at cue making. I am curious what the more experienced cue makers would consider in this situation though.

Cheers,
Robert
So I discovered it does in fact fit in my JB butterfly case, just not in the conventional way. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

slim123

I purchased a cue that is about 2" longer (not including pin) than a standard cue, mainly because of the connection to the cue maker. I would like to use this in rotation with my other cues, but it being beyond standard length, does not fit in any of my cases. Are there any services available to remove a couple of inches toward the top end of the butt (there is plenty of room) and re-insert the pin? Or is it just something I have to accept that it will screw up too many things or just isn't feasible?
Show us the cue, might be possible to cut it down without a full refinish

Last edited: