Post-Mosconi Press Conference

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really hope Johan stays, although today it certainly sounded like he is retiring.

But I'd like to point out that after the USA lost his first Mosconi Cup two years ago (December 2017), in the immediate post match interview he sounded very pessimistic about pool in the USA and indicated he was undecided about staying on as Captain.

The interview was conducted by the late, and great, "Mr. Bond" as part of his American Billiard Radio podcast: https://www.poolpodcasts.com/2017/12/ ("The 2017 Dream Crusher" episode)

Johan expressed doubts about the culture of pool in the USA (bar boxes, old cloth, gambling) and said "it's too early to think about next year"

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The lady is exceptionally annoying.

That is Emily Frazer. From what I seen, she puts together the pool events (and other sports) for Matchroom Sports and in my opinion, she does a very good job of it. She doesn't have much knowledge of the game, but she does know how to put on a good event like this. I feel we are fortunate to have someone like her working on the largest events in pool.

Last edited:

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure he said he was coaching next year - per his three year plan - and then he was done, at least with Team USA...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is Emily Frazer. From what I seen, she puts together the pool events (and other sports) for Matchroom Sports and in my opinion, she does a very good job of it. She doesn't have much knowledge of the game, but she does know how to put on a good event like this. I feel we are fortunate to have someone like her working on the largest events in pool.

i agree. she is the event organizer of four great pool events, and from what i understand also basket, bowling, ping pong, gymnastics, and other sports. i couldn't pull that off and i doubt many people could

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure he said he was coaching next year - per his three year plan - and then he was done, at least with Team USA...

This is the first I've heard Johan talk about a 3 year plan. And notice his "plan" starts 3 years ago:
2017: Establish the team and perform terrible
2018: Win
2019: Prolong the Win

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dP8w-t7Ww

Not sure if these have been done before, but I really liked watching this.

Nice clip. I'm proud of our men.... well done!

Emily as the face of matchroom, does a fantastic job IMO. A huge task putting this all together, and she (they) did it very well. I personally see her as a sweet lady, who tries to put a positive outlook to things, tries hard to do a good job, and smiles through any mishaps. Congrats to her for a successful event.

td

p.s. I hope Johann doesn't 'help' the other guys next year...… maybe there is a future at matchroom for him.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice clip. I'm proud of our men.... well done!

Emily as the face of matchroom, does a fantastic job IMO. A huge task putting this all together, and she (they) did it very well. I personally see her as a sweet lady, who tries to put a positive outlook to things, tries hard to do a good job, and smiles through any mishaps. Congrats to her for a successful event.

td

p.s. I hope Johann doesn't 'help' the other guys next year...… maybe there is a future at matchroom for him.
I suspect he will return to coach Team Russia. Makes sense since he used to coach them, and USA has won the last 2 Dream Challenges. They want to make it a bigger event, so it needs to be competitive.