Practice - Drills...NOPE!

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my opinion, BUT 90%+ of the pool population need to work on how to physically shoot the ball in the hole with repetitious form. They do not need to do drills to get better. Until having a Master Instructor "scold" me into shooting with repeatable form was I even allowed to shoot a single drill. Watch snooker players...they get it.

Lower level league players ask me what drills they should shoot to get better. Inside my head...you don't know how to shoot a ball straight in, why are you concerned with drills?!

My brain venting.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Just my opinion, BUT 90%+ of the pool population need to work on how to physically shoot the ball in the hole with repetitious form. They do not need to do drills to get better. Until having a Master Instructor "scold" me into shooting with repeatable form was I even allowed to shoot a single drill. Watch snooker players...they get it.

Lower level league players ask me what drills they should shoot to get better. Inside my head...you don't know how to shoot a ball straight in, why are you concerned with drills?!

My brain venting.
I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly.

This concept applies to aiming systems of all kinds as well. 500 speed fargo players hoping for the magic bean to make the quantum leap eat this stuff up.

Looking for love in all the wrong places...........

Guy Manges

Registered
Throw 15 on table, Use 1, for first ball, Shoot out all 15 in rotation, If you complete this without a miss, you are going in the wright direction So do this over and over until you don't miss... Guy

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My brain venting.
WOW, you just described a drill🤣

GentlemanJames

One can't get around the basic requirement of being able to pot balls consistently at some level with reliable proficiency as a prerequisite to developing other skills and techniques through progressive drills.

If a person is at the level where they are having difficulty with aiming and potting straight-in center ball stop-shots, then that is where they are; and that is what they need to practice and drill - progressively increasing the distances between the pocket, the cue ball, and the object ball, as comfort and control is mastered - before worrying about anything further.

If one can't consistently pull their pistol out of the holster without getting hung-up, or without their finger stuck in the trigger guard, what good is all the rest?

My brain venting.

I am reminded of how the great teacher, Bob Henning, broke-down Mastering A Shot into 4 Phases of Learning:

1. Learn To Recognize The Shot By Name, visually, when it appears on the table.

2. Learn To Pocket That Ball. BINGO. And there it is: Put the ball in the hole; do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00; and, at this phase, give no concern to where the CB finishes (outside of scratching by following the ball down the hole) - until (in BH's personal estimation) a 65% consistency-rate is assured;

3. Learn To Stay On The CB Line: Without worrying about having the CB finish within a specific target-area/zone, fist, master consistently staying on the CB line - even if running short or long in distance during development - by learning to consistently stay on the CB line after pocketing the ball.

4. Learn To Stop On CB Target: Learn to control the CB to finish within the Cue Ball target-area "reasonably well".

I cite Bob's 4-Phase outline from The Pro Book, to illustrate that unless a student can - with consistent and with reasonable certainty - 'Pocket That Ball', development-wise, there is no reason to focus on anything further - outside of basics of: stance, grip, aiming, forming bridges, proper stroke, rules and etiquette, etc. - because if a student can't pot balls consistently, they are simply going to spend an awful lot of time in the chair.

So how would I answer the up-and-coming player who asks: "What drills should I work on to learn to shoot better?"; my answer would be: "Learn the name of the shot when it appears on the table, and keep doing "the work" until you have learnt how to pocket that ball with reasonable consistency; then, come back and we'll talk some more and take on learning the next 2 phases of how to properly finish the shot - then, once you have mastered all 4 phases, then, you will be shooting better". - GJ

Last edited:

Smutzc

Dr Dave has the Billiard University test. About 5-7 different shot scenarios. When I was first starting I did those “test drills” over and over til I could do them with confidence. Very good for beginning to hone my skills. But before all that I had an 8 hr session with Mark Wilson, and that was 8 hrs of nothing other than learning how to stroke the cue straight.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

My brain venting.

That reminds me of a story told by Willie Mosconi's son (in one of the Mosconi biographies). Willie followed your outline with his son--forcing the son to practice grip, stance, and stroke for weeks on end without running balls or playing any games. The son quit within a few days and never bothered to shoot pool with his dad again.

That being said, these are my favorite straight shooting drills (not that I know anything):

(#7)

(center table drill at 6:00)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My brain venting.
I was thought to shoot dead straight shots with center ball. Everything on center. So I did. It helped me a lot. I built everything off that. And when I’m dead straight on the $ ball-I’m happy.

Great post and advice.

Learn where the center of everything is first-then build on that.

Best
Fatboy

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Learn where the center of everything is first-then build on that.
Yep. When I'm helping out beginners one the first things I tell them is to focus on hitting the center vertical axis of the cue ball-- mainly the area 1/2 tip high to 1/2 tip low-- as needed when they play, learning angles and speed by ONLY cueing in that small region at first.
I show them how to do stop-shots and subtle follow shots first, using speed and rails for getting shape.
THEN, after they've gotten decent at that, I teach them about right and left and draw, and show them how to "throw" object balls, etc.

But you all are right: most amateur players try to use a lot of Engilsh before they actually master just the basic, center-ball cueing.
And if I had a dollar for every average player who said they like thin shafts and soft tips because "they can get more cue ball action"...
Folks, unless you have Josh Filler's stroke, you'll miss a lot more relatively STRAIGHT shots with a soft tip/12mm shafted cue.
I recommend 12.5 - 13 mm shaft with a medium tip for most under 500ish fargo players. The Predator 314-3 (12.75mm) is excellent, for example. So is the Cuetec Cynergy (12.5mm) (with a medium tip) for you cf fans. I personally use a Predator Vantage (12.9mm) with a Triangle (medium/hard) tip, but I don't recommend you buy it unless you try it, it has a slightly conical taper which many folks don't like.

Anyways, just making shots (at the average player's level) will win you a lot more games than "cue ball action" lol. Learn to run some balls with stop/follow/speed/angles/rails first. Then graduate to left/right/draw. Trust me, you'll understand why this is sooooo important if you do that.

Keep it simple folks, pool's challenging enough even without using fancy English!

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That reminds me of a story told by Willie Mosconi's son (in one of the Mosconi biographies). Willie followed your outline with his son--forcing the son to practice grip, stance, and stroke for weeks on end without running balls or playing any games. The son quit within a few days and never bothered to shoot pool with his dad again.

reminds me of a story regarding an african drumming apprentice
for one year, he fetched water and did chores, and learned about life
after that time, he finally got to touch a drum

to me, there are many ways to learn many things..
but there's no substitute for having a strong foundation

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
When I'm helping out beginners I tell them, Pool is simple. If you can make the ball you can be good. If you can make the ball and control the Q ball you can be great. Not Easy but Simple IMHO.

Reactions: bbb

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll break down what I have learned and would teach to a newcomer:
1. Learn to align to the shot so that the cue can follow a straight line thought the CB toward the desired OB contact point.

2. Learn to develop a stroke that delivers the cue tip straight trough the desired CB contact point when properly aligned to the shot in (1.)

3. Learn to stroke with a well supporting front bridge hand and a relaxed grip hand so that the cue tip has enough contact time with the CB in order to impart the desired effect on cue ball movement - that is: if the laws of physics dictate that the maximum time possible of cue tip contact is let's just say- 10 miliseconds, then you need to reach close to that contact time with your stroke to ever truly obtain a high level of CB control.

I firmly believe that the guy who is jumping off his shots or choking his stroke will never gain effective CB control. I think the top pros have maximized cue tip contact time with the CB with whatever their adopted stroke- although many of the most effective strokes do look the same as to where the cue tip ends up on the table, the stroke does not have to be textbook- but it must achieve all of the above.

4. Lastly, learn to time the cue release on every shot at the exact point when your mind flashes the GO sign because your final focus has locked on the OB with 100% certainty. This will involve a great pre shot routine and great rhythm during your actual strokes. Mosconi himself said that he felt 100% certain that he would make a ball once he released his cue- his sense of timing was superb!

My two cents

dquarasr

Registered
reminds me of a story regarding an african drumming apprentice
for one year, he fetched water and did chores, and learned about life
after that time, he finally got to touch a drum

to me, there are many ways to learn many things..
but there's no substitute for having a strong foundation

Sand the floor. Wax on, wax off. Paint the fence. Paint the house.​

GentlemanJames

It will roll 2”-3” inches forward with perfect a perfect center ball hit
FATBOY - I too was weaned on that same Center Ball stroke shot - where the CB rolls forward only 1/2 revolution (more or less) after collision with the OB, and thereby occupying the former position of the OB on the table - and then, - even though my sister and I didn't practice it nearly enough - Dad later taught us how to leave the CB dead in its tracks and directly behind the position of the OB after collision, by teaching us the classic Center Ball Stop-Shot - which we loved doing because it made us feel like magicians at the table, especially as we learned to do it at distance across the table.

With my youthful enthusiasm, lack of disciple, thirst for instant gratification, and unrestrained appetite to learn 'more shots' (the more hair-trigger and visually intimidating to other kids and teenagers, the better!), unfortunately, I totally abandoned practicing the Center Ball 'roll over' Shot for stroke development as an isolated exercise - as per Dad's instructions; now ignored.

It was about 15 years later when Bert Kinister came out with his very first instructional video tape, The 60 Minute Workout For 9-Ball and 8-Ball, and, lo-and-behold, to my utter surprise, appearing as "Shot #1" on the video, was this same Center Ball 'roll-over' after replacing the OB Shot, which Dad had introduced to us a decade and a half prior.

It was painfully interesting to discover that the good advice Dad offered lovingly and for free years before, I was now paying big cash money to be shown again. This was long before there was an internet loaded with free content, and Bert Kinister tapes - worth every single cent, many times over - and in the late 80s/early 90s these tapes were not cheap (about $40 IIRC, which would be just under $100 each in today's money).

Practicing Shot #1 (aka Center Ball 'roll over' after replacing the OB shot) correctly and diligently, taught me many things about honing my stroke and my stroke speed control; and, taught me that the older I got, the smarter and smarter I realized Dad was.

Here's the shot as demonstrated on YouTube for everyone by Bert Kinister as "Shot #1": Center Ball 'CB roll over' Shot, Replacing the OB position

Enjoy. - GJ

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FATBOY - I too was weaned on that same Center Ball stroke shot - where the CB rolls forward only 1/2 revolution (more or less) after collision with the OB, and thereby occupying the former position of the OB on the table - and then, - even though my sister and I didn't practice it nearly enough - Dad later taught us how to leave the CB dead in its tracks and directly behind the position of the OB after collision, by teaching us the classic Center Ball Stop-Shot - which we loved doing because it made us feel like magicians at the table, especially as we learned to do it at distance across the table.

With my youthful enthusiasm, lack of disciple, thirst for instant gratification, and unrestrained appetite to learn 'more shots' (the more hair-trigger and visually intimidating to other kids and teenagers, the better!), unfortunately, I totally abandoned practicing the Center Ball 'roll over' Shot for stroke development as an isolated exercise - as per Dad's instructions; now ignored.

It was about 15 years later when Bert Kinister came out with his very first instructional video tape, The 60 Minute Workout For 9-Ball and 8-Ball, and, lo-and-behold, to my utter surprise, appearing as "Shot #1" on the video, was this same Center Ball 'roll-over' after replacing the OB shot which Dad had introduced to us years prior.

It's interesting that the good advice Dad offered lovingly and for free years before, I was now paying big cash money to be shown again. This was long before there was an internet loaded with free content, and Bert Kinister tapes - worth every single cent, many times over - and in the late 80s/early 90s these tapes were not cheap (about $40 IIRC, which would be just under $100 in today's money).

Practicing Shot #1 (aka Center Ball 'roll over' after replacing the OB shot) taught me many things about honing my stroke and my stroke speed control; and, taught me that the older I got, the smarter and smarter I realized Dad was. - GJ
The ½ roll is harder to do that the dead stop. The margin of error on hitting the CB is much smaller for the ½ roll than a dead stop.

Those little details separate the men from the boys.