AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah.

Wait, what?
1613178272110.png

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My shot making drill is derived from this. Found it at Dr Dave’s, Collin’s drill. Like the shots but don’t want the reps. Since I am playing the left against the right, I want the do or die aspect.
I lightly mark my table by measuring and placing the cue ball on the spot. Then jack up and shoot the jump. Leaving a slight discoloration. I find the rings too uh..... can I say ****. I have been called ****, more than once. There’s probably a better word. Anyway I leave shot 1 for last. Doing just one rep on the 10 footer in Sun City West could take a long time. I made it last so it could be abandoned if we had run beyond time 😉. This is my morning calisthenics, so I want about an hour work out.
In order to avoid a tie, I start with the head spot to foot spot double kiss. When the shot is executed 1 is scored and same shooter continues. I proceed through the shots with one rep each. Giving 17 shots. My high run is 8, 5 on the 10 foot. I prefer the miss and go sit and “think about what you have done.” aspect of left vs right.
The best part of schizophrenia is learning to play together Nice.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well I skipped the morning toke. Practice wasn’t near as much fun but I got through the drill in half the time.😉

Another grampa story:
At the Seed 2 in Bellevue we quite often had a 1 and 2 ring game. One Saturday morning Bob (who was my equal) couldn’t make a ball. Bob carried a small brass pipe with a flip cover. He would turn his back to the bartender and pull it out and hit it and have it closed and back in his pocket without detection by any but us insiders. So I thought it would be funny to ask, “Bob what are you on? And why aren’t you sharing?” Ooops, he stood next to me pulling the pipe and lighter and transfer them to my hand at pocket level. What could I do? So I hit it. Couldn’t make a ball but felt uh good, I think.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well the NCPT practice has given me the courage to put water buffalo tip back on my shooter. It had water Buffalo on it when I bought it from Cole, way back in the’80s. Too high performance for me at the time.😉
The shot making drill convinced me that I can get the best accuracy with the hard tip and center ball.
Taking the NCPT to the snooker drill has really improved my awareness of the tangent line and alternative shots now that draw is unavailable. I feel that I am honing basic skills that I have neglected. I am now finding basic alternatives that I have overlooked in the past.
Center ball is the starting point for all my shots. Keeping variations from dead center to a minimum is key to success for me. I have been on the NCPT long enough that I have a better feeling for the slightest variation from center and am becoming more skilled with the fine tuning.
We call it English, Barry Stark calls it The Damn Stuff.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ship’s log:
Saturday March 13, 2021

Snow day

Taking Practice to the competition:

My first sports training (well other than self defense. Got that at 6{don’t lead with your face}) was at 8, playing little league baseball.
Grampa story alert!
I was barely at the age minimum of 8. Really put the little in the game. I was training as a catcher under Ray Ellis. He was Marine Corps WWII. Blown off of 2 transport ships in the Pacific. He pitched in the military leagues with either hand. The military leagues are definitely semi pro. Anyway the first thing Ray taught me was:
If it is the bottom of the ninth, the score is tied, the bases are loaded, two out, the count is 3-2.
You have to want to be the hitter.

Now the irresistible urge to story tell:

I was to be the catcher apprentice. As we had a 12 year old catcher that was the Babe Ruth of the league. The first game he sprained his thumb and was broken the whole season. I went in with the chest protector dragging the ground and unable to throw the ball as far as second. We had a play for the situation. I threw it to the pitcher and he spun and threw to second. We caught one thief that season. He was smaller and more round 😉
Ok where was I? Being able to take the training to heart was my only natural physical ability.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Water Buffalo is definitely high performance. Kind of like driving a high performance car.
Competition:
Will be interesting to see when I take it to competition. I always like the mystery aspect of competition. Not knowing if I am going to show up.:eek: But knowing if I make it to the finals I am at my best.

I can enjoy that match, win or loose. Knowing if they beat me they played well.

The Joy of Missing:
Is easiest to find in practice. In competition it’s more accepting and analysis without emotion,( other than the Efrenesque head scratching.)

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the line and slide into it creating just a little bit of tension from my bridge hand all the way down the left side of my body, my back and legs. This is just a little tension, nothing uncomfortable, just to lock my body in position. The only part of my body that is totally loose is my right arm and shoulder. My chin is on cue. I practice shot making by putting the CB on the long rail in the kitchen 2 inches off the rail. The OB starts on the same rail about 2 inches(straight in shot) from the rail by side pocket. I shoot shot ten times successfully and then move the OB another inch away from side pocket and repeat until OB reaches almost center table. I then move OB 1 diamond farther down table and repeat. I do the same on left hand side of table too. I then practice long straight in shots at varying distances until I'm shooting out of the jaws of one corner pocket to the next on 9 foot table. After a few frozen to rail shots I then go on to position drills shooting various shots, trying to hit each diamond with CB after making shot. I practice my mental drills by walking into pool room with a kick ass attitude looking for the best. I always play to win, I NEVER play "not to lose" there is a BIG difference. About every 3rd or 4th practice session I will play 3 games of nine ball freezing the CB to nearest rail before each shot. Might not work for everyone but it works for me. If I ever find a session a chore I quit till another day .. not productive! If you're a beginner just put CB on spot and shoot into far corner pocket about 50,000 times focusing on stance PSR, SPF, etc. Shoot center ball so you don't need chalk unless you want a BIG pile of chalk on spot. Think that's too many times? Then maybe tennis or golf is for you. It's all about muscle memory!!!

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Study study study:

Efren watched weaker players and when they randomly made something weird happen, he took it to the table and perfected it.

I am enjoying studying the O’Sullivan vs Higgins match now. Finally found it on YouTube. Tour Championship 2021

Both have been declared GOAT.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just in case here is the second session. Session 2 O’Sullivan vs Higgins

I enjoy while studying. The commentators are so insightful. Well being champions helps and Steven Hendry would be an obvious choice for GOAT pre Ronnie.

My study includes:
Their routine and adherence to it. The camera work is outstanding and makes for great chances to find discrepancies. Playing Sherlock is fun.
The eye patterns are quite often discernible. Well much more obvious with John. Ronnie doesn’t show as much eye movement but a steady intensity that I would call focus. Only on the long shots can I say with reasonable assurance that his eyes are down on strike. In an interview many years back, he stated that on a given shot he could not tell you which ball he was looking at.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a cadet at the Air Force Academy, they told us that the SR-71(formerly the YF-12A{experimental fighter}) held the world speed record at something like Mac 2.?
The SR71 on its flight to become a museum item from Edwards AFB to Washington DC took exactly the advertised speed of the SR71 over that distance, but the time included, taxi, takeoff, in-air refueling, ascent to ~80,000 ft, cruise to DC, descent, landing, and taxi.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The SR71 on its flight to become a museum item from Edwards AFB to Washington DC took exactly the advertised speed of the SR71 over that distance, but the time included, taxi, takeoff, in-air refueling, ascent to ~80,000 ft, cruise to DC, descent, landing, and taxi.
Have to wonder what has taken over the role of Special Reconnaissance.

Studying Ronnie’s eye movement, I noticed the most during the recon stage. This would include the ‘big I’ phase. Imagine the shot.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The symptom vs the problem:
When I was first introduced to the 9 ball weekly club meeting in 1982. The White Spot (now the corrected Right Spot) in Fife WA had a $5 race to 3 on bar tables every Wednesday. Terrific $5 lessons from the best in the northwest. A field under 32 was unusual. Soooooo after a year and a half I won a beer for 7-8!!!! At one point I remember thinking, “I will do good when my hands quit shaking.” Then self replied, “you better learn to shoot with your hands shaking, because they won’t quit until you Make a Ball!”
Where was I? Oh yeah my symptom is rushing at the last. If I am not taking the full relaxed pause at the back(see Barry Stark) it shows my nerves. Noticed a similar issue with Higgins (I think 🥴

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Three ball practice totally fits me. It is something I can do at break time. After all it is a shop/church. Great warm up for 9 ball. Has options for rules in practice.(There ain’t no rules in a knife fight) I modify on a miss the next shot must be a kick or uh bank if you want to wossie out.
CE6BA55E-B53C-4363-AB0C-9A2F93C67E34.jpeg

Attachments

• 832609B1-471E-46E2-A8BD-8169432442DC.jpeg
    832609B1-471E-46E2-A8BD-8169432442DC.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 119

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
DCCF0EB3-AAB3-4092-99C5-40EC1D07E58E.jpeg

Almost forgot the paper rack . I made 3 and use it as a break pad. Much better than the scrap of cloth I was using. My 3 ball practice would have burned a spot by now.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Inclement weather today. (Insert age/pains ailment) So my practice sets are limited. So Grampa story:
I knew when I went to the 211 that anyone that asked me to play had the nuts. My favorite game there was Portland Slim. He must have been in his 80s and I in my 30s. We played last pocket 8 ball for $5/game and the time. He would always get around 5 or 6 games ahead then he reached his endurance limit and I could come back to even and pay the time. What cheap lessons and great stories. He told me about racking for Willie Mosconi when he came through Portland. Said he had seen Mosconi run 100 when he was so drunk he had to hold the rails going around the table.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Grampa’s on his meds:

Chatty Kathy is one of the side effects.😉

Soooo, as to the power of shot making. 1995ish Chico, CA. I was playing a guy that I had seen run 6 playing golf heads up for $20. They each broke and ran, sat down and had a beer. Well the first tournament was race to 9 on gold crowns. He went ahead 7-0 and gave me a breath. I caught him at 7 but lost 9-7. The look he had was uh priceless. That was when they had the USPper something league rating. He ran in the 90s mine was 55. I once beat a 120-140 player in race to 7 alternate break. At 4-4, I broke and ran he broke dry and I ran then I broke and ran.
Where was I? Hmmm, coming down out of brag mode. To finish the shot maker story; The next time we played a 9 ball tournament. It was hill/hill and I had pocketed the 8, narrowly missing the scratch and leaving the cue ball in the jaws of head corner pocket. With the 9 on the foot rail over a diamond out of the far pocket. I cut it in for the win. He never beat me again after that.
Now the close: Take the NCPT challenge. Take the time to solve it. That starts with the foundation. A stable platform, stable skills and a stable mind. In that order.
Had to slip a trifle on the triple. It helps diminish the trips. (I don’t like the trip and fall. “He shot well but tripped and fell.”)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Feeling refurbished enough to put chalk on the phenolic tip now. (I’ve done my time)

Graduating to SCPT(some chalk phenolic tip) training.
I see an advantage to playing some shots other than jump/break with that cue.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The first thing I was taught by my father was, don’t lead with your face. Here I am talking/leading with my face.

I was 6, my little sister was 4. The bosses son was 8 and we lived in adjacent houses at the saw mill. In our front yard he was drawn back and threatening a strike to my sister. I stepped in between and said, “you can’t hit my sis............” smack right in the kisser. Oh yes it drew blood. He never won another fight and there were many.
It ain’t the size of the dog in the fight. It’s the size of the fight in the dog.
My next altercation, when he drew back. I lept straight into his chest. (He was a head taller) reaching up and grabbing both ears and pulling my face to his chest. Any strike would only pull harder on his ears. My feet were off the ground. Both ears bled, not me. He must have surrendered.
The next was when I was 8 or 9 and had just got a daisy bb gun.(must have been my birthday ). There was a reservoir with frogs. 4 older boys and myself spent a lot of time shooting frogs. I got out of school earlier than the older boys and was cruising the pond alone. After a shot the bully jumped me from behind and had me down. Both my hands had the gun. His were just outside mine with his full weight on top. He was saying in my ear, “I am going to throw your gun in the pond.” To which I replied, “you might throw it in but I am going in with it and I will come up shooting. So you might as well run now.” He held me down too long and I did come up shooting. So small I had to put a foot on it to cock it. I got him with the third shot, just as he was rounding the corner to go in his house. Right on the vertebrae at the top of the shoulders. Never heard anyone scream so loud. Lost my BB gun for a solid year but for that time one of the other older 3 gave me their gun any time were on the pond.
Guess I digress but think about how many top players were fighters.
My favorite victories come when my opponent opens with a table run. (Perfect shape every ball). I shootback out of shape on every ball but run out. Jump bank kick uh whatever it takes. A players wilted.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I love love loved it when the big dudes tried to intimidate on the pool table.
It got me focused right now.