Practice routine, am I wrong ?

MooseKnuckle

Registered
Scenario :

Playing with self (insert joke here) and trying to run a 9 ball rack.

If I miss a pot, I continue as planned to the next ball rather than continuing to try and pot the original object ball. *

Is this a bad approach?

I kinda of figure it's like a piece of music, if I miss a note I have to go on or the song is a train wreck.

* After potting the 9 ball I then go back to the lowest numbered ball remaining and finish them out.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what you are practicing.

Are you keeping score in some way so
you can track your progress?

Are you working on run out patterns?

Are you working on speed control?

Are you just banging balls by breaking
or throwing them out there and running
them for no reason?

Not enough information

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you might be. Do you know why you missed? Where would the cue ball be, if you had not missed? I've been doing the exact opposite, for the last two days. We might be trying to accomplish different things though.

MooseKnuckle

Registered
Depends on what you are practicing.

Are you keeping score in some way so
you can track your progress?

Are you working on run out patterns?

Are you working on speed control?

Are you just banging balls by breaking
or throwing them out there and running
them for no reason?

Not enough information

Score no.

Patterns yes.

Speed yes.

Bangor, I didn't even kiss her!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was me I would keep track of innings and
which ball I was missing in each rack so
I can hone in on the mistake.

Skipping a missed ball is not a sin and can help
rhythm.
It can also ingrain missing is ok. That you do not want.

MooseKnuckle

Registered
Skipping a missed ball is not a sin and can help
rhythm.
It can also ingrain missing is ok. That you do not want.

Right, I don't want bad habits but at the same I'm time trying to stay positive, get a flow going and work out where the cue ball is ending up after shots.

At this stage if I can see 2 balls ahead I feel o.k.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I won't move beyond a missed ball. If it breaks up my shape, that's the price for missing.

Playing an opponent, perfect shape is worthless in the chair.

YMMV

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, I don't want bad habits but at the same I'm time trying to stay positive, get a flow going and work out where the cue ball is ending up after shots.

I play the way you mentioned when I am working on my p.s.r. so missing or making the ball is not an end all be all.

When working on patterns, if I miss it's time to start over.
Just have to accept I missed, figure out why and try again. Many times it's just one or two balls and I
have to suck it up.

Playing/ thinking 2 balls or 3 balls ahead is b.s.
The rack needs to be looked at as a whole before every shot.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there’s a time and place for both. If I’m working on patterns, I’ll skip a miss because I’m more interested in how the whole rack might have shaped up.

If I’m working on run outs, I’ll re-rack and start over. Score one for the ghost.

If I’m working on the total game, I don’t skip the ball. Keep in mind I don’t shoot flyers often...not even in practice. I’ll return a miss with a safety if I have to. I’ll even play out an entire safety battle against myself and find it exhilarating if it goes multiple innings. My kicksafe game has improved due to taking that seriously in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd say rack them again and start over. Starting from the beginning is the penalty you pay for missing, and having to start again will motivate you to tidy it up going forward.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say shoot the same shot again and figure out why you missed, then move on to the next ball. I'd also focus on your position as you are shooting the missed shot again.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
No mention of score keeping, so I would....

set up the missed ball and cue ball again, and again, and again.

and again

some more

a few more times

not done yet

just 10 more

almost there.

"An amateur practices until he makes it, a pro practices until he doesn't miss"

-von

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have either technical issues or performance issues which can be often be traced to technical issues. If you are a musician the process is probably like, don't sweat it to death, break it down and just work it out. Tried and true curriculums would be easier to find, no doubt, but pool is mostly common sense.

It also helps if you have professional examples; be it musicians or poolers.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, you start again & see how many attempts it takes to run a rack.
You do not get a mulligan in real life so why bother practicing with one.

It is frustrating to miss but you have to use that annoyance to get better.
Don’t cheat when you practice because you sure can’t do it competing.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many ways to practice effectively and what works for one might not work for another. If you practice in a way you don't enjoy that deters you from putting time in on the table that is no bargain. And of course practicing poorly isn't effective either.

As for setting up a shot to shoot again, it depends. I'm always on the lookout for core shots that you need to be able to make that I didn't feel good on. Sometimes I'll set them up immediately during play, sometimes I'll work on it for a day before my next session, sometimes I'll build a drill around that one technique and work on it for months. It really depends on how key that one shot is.

If some people benefit from just hitting the shot again or reracking then go for it. For me I like to move past skills that I've mastered and just got careless on or on skills that I can't master and aren't a big part of the game. In those cases I'd rather set up the shot where I got out of line anyway as that was my real mistake.

Finally, make sure you're practicing success. When the Greeks memorized long poems they didn't start at the beginning of the poem and learn line by line, because then they'd be practicing failing to know what comes next again and again. Instead they started with the last line of the poem, then added the line before it, and so forth. Then they practiced successfully completing the poem thousands of times and only had to add to their success. I believe in practicing short runs with a high success rate and then gradually adding a ball, not fumbling and raking the balls rack after rack thinking this leads to growth.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Scenario :

Playing with self (insert joke here) and trying to run a 9 ball rack.

If I miss a pot, I continue as planned to the next ball rather than continuing to try and pot the original object ball. *

Is this a bad approach?

I kinda of figure it's like a piece of music, if I miss a note I have to go on or the song is a train wreck.

* After potting the 9 ball I then go back to the lowest numbered ball remaining and finish them out.

Not my favorite/recommended routine here, but to improve it, setup any shot you miss again and retry until you sink it and lock in good feedback to your conscious and subconscious mind.