Practice

Let's say you go to the pool hall to play and practice by yourself... What are you doing for practice? I usually practice 9 ball, potting balls, then just rolling then across the table instead of re-racking and breaking. Just looking to get some good practice Ideas for when I am by myself.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play the game I am going to compete in.
During the practice of the game I will work
on something I'm struggling with. Pre shot routine, break, patterns, percentages, etc.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I do 30 racks of 10 ball Ghost. Takes about an hour. I then score it as described by Dr Dave. Remove lowest 10 scores and highest 10 scores to eliminate lucky as well as unlucky racks. Final 10 are your average.

On his website he has a written out definition of where that number places you in the over grand scheme of things.

Just shoot for a big number and try to improve upon it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot shots, long straight in shots, sometimes a easy shot I have noticed I missed in the past few days. Some pattern drills.

I haven’t played in years but that was the best use of my time. When I’m in action then I played rotation or what ever “game”.

practicing a “game” except 14.1 IMO isn’t deliberate practice. It’s banging balls around.

Not a banger,
Fatboy😀

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Components and drills. Generally speaking playing games isn’t practice.

Practice doesn’t make perfect it makes permanent.

Playing doesn’t change habits.

I break down weaker aspects into individual components to strengthen those weaknesses. And use drills to stay sharp on the things I do well to great on average.

Champions win championships with their B game. The object is to lessen the gap between the A& B game and that between the B & C game.

Track progress and be real it will do you service.

The rest is a waste of time and stifling progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do 30 racks of 10 ball Ghost. Takes about an hour. I then score it as described by Dr Dave. Remove lowest 10 scores and highest 10 scores to eliminate lucky as well as unlucky racks. Final 10 are your average.

On his website he has a written out definition of where that number places you in the over grand scheme of things.

Just shoot for a big number and try to improve upon it.

Whats your average?
and where are you in the grand scheme of things?
just curious

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Whats your average?
and where are you in the grand scheme of things?
just curious

I was afraid someone would ask.

I am just a league player. UPA SL10/9b and SL9/10b. APA SL 7/8b and SL 8/9b.
Last time I was in Vegas playing against Fargo rated players I was playing even with guys in the 570 range.

I generally average around 30+. If I’m playing pretty decent I will have around 3 complete table runs. My best night ever I had 6.
In my defense it’s on a 4-1/4” 9ft Gold Crown 4 with super worn Simonis (probably at least 8 years old). I’ve got the cloth to do the recover, but I need the motivation.

I just picked up doing this practice again in the last week. I was pretty diligent at doing it at least 3 times a week. When I looked back at my last practice session date it was 7 months ago. And it shows, I was a SL9 in APA 9 ball for a couple of years, but recently dropped back a skill level.

Gotta put the work in.

Reactions: bbb
Components and drills. Generally speaking playing games isn’t practice.

Practice doesn’t make perfect it makes permanent.

Playing doesn’t change habits.

I break down weaker aspects into individual components to strengthen those weaknesses. And use drills to stay sharp on the things I do well to great on average.

Champions win championships with their B game. The object is to lessen the gap between the A& B game and that between the B & C game.

Track progress and be real it will do you service.

The rest is a waste of time and stifling progression.

Thanks for the response. I hate doing drills, but when you put it that way it makes complete sense. I feel like I have plateaued and Its probably because I'm not working in drills or focusing on improving my game.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Thanks for the response. I hate doing drills, but when you put it that way it makes complete sense. I feel like I have plateaued and Its probably because I'm not working in drills or focusing on improving my game.

When I was a distance runner we didn’t call 400 repeats FunHundreds cuz we loved em .

I will say this do not sit there an do the same shots and drills that tax is so much we begin to break down in the long try sessions to hopefully succeed. Quality over quantity. Executing a thousand times wrong isn’t helping our situation.

Give yourself nominal reps to succeed. Dozen maybe. If you don’t…move on, or break whatever your trying to do down into a simpler or smaller component of itself and work it’s sections. This will build confidence, it will build change. It will build progress.

Regardless of strength speed stamina etc like some other sports or games whatever any of us want to argue for….to be professionally skilled at any of them takes true practice, and drill work.

Apply the same methods of work and tracking of results that many of us came up with in other sports to the field of linear play we here love to partake in today….and it will do you well!

Go make your plans and regiments and work them!

Last but not least…Don’t ever forget to have fun!

For a better game,
-Greyghost