Predator BKlll Does Not Have Predator Shaft

mlfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought it was odd that Predator doesn't put a Predator shaft on their BKlll break cue? Comments?

Last edited:

neuron

Registered
The shaft has a carbon fiber reinforced core. Predator claims that it provides better transfer of force from cue to ball than an all-wood shaft would. Don't have a BK3 myself so I can't comment one way or the other, but that's what they're claiming.

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member
Just thought it was odd that Predator doesn't put a Predator shaft on their BKlll break cue? Comments?

I bought one and they act the same regarding deflection. I think it would be inaccurate to say that it isn't a "predator".

They are different than the regular bk shafts but It's hard to explain how.

The two major things I have personally noticed are that the cue ball doesn't jump as much and it is weighted differently. It "might" hit a little harder but this is hard to verify as the hit is very subjective.

The thing I really don't like about is that you have to buy a weight bolt kit to take out the weight bolt. This retails for 50$ or so. Kind of dumb. I would have been happy with a regular screw that I could remove with an allen wrench. I don't like that they try to force you to buy the kit. Very annoying decision by them only because this is an extra cost that was not apparent when I bought it.

I do like the cue though it's expensive but a great break cue imo.

Dud

mlfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are correct that I probably was wrong in saying it was not a "Predator" shaft. It is exactly a Predator shaft just not what were used to seeing as one. Also when I ordered mine I asked for an 18oz cue and I weighed mine and it came up 17.8oz so I have no complaint there. I looked inside the butt and way down there I can see what looks like a bolt of some kind. Has a line line a standard head screwdriver may work and it has a small hole in the center. Does this mean I can take out more weight? I am going to give Predator or Seybert's a call to check it out. I haven't hit it yet and hope to try it out tomorrow. All ideas and thoughts appreciated.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a Predator shaft, just not radially laminated.

I hit with one the last couple days.

Seem pretty similar to my experience with the BK2.

Nice, clean, crisp, hard hit.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft has a carbon fiber reinforced core. Predator claims that it provides better transfer of force from cue to ball than an all-wood shaft would. Don't have a BK3 myself so I can't comment one way or the other, but that's what they're claiming.
Take it for what its worth but its more marketing then anything.
When you are running out of ideas,you start looking at ''New''ideas but
unfortunately this is old news. McDermott has being doing this for years with there ishaft line.

The 2nd thing I've heard that could be phooey is they've had so many
returns and issues with there break-shafts delaminating that going
to a shaft without the splices could save them alot of time and
money with the shaft being non-laminated.

Personally I don't like them straying away from there laminated shaft.

neuron

Registered
Take it for what its worth but its more marketing then anything.
When you are running out of ideas,you start looking at ''New''ideas but
unfortunately this is old news. McDermott has being doing this for years with there ishaft line.

The 2nd thing I've heard that could be phooey is they've had so many
returns and issues with there break-shafts delaminating that going
to a shaft without the splices could save them alot of time and
money with the shaft being non-laminated.

Personally I don't like them straying away from there laminated shaft.
Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical of the "force transfer" claims and am inclined to think it's mostly marketing hype too.

What you've heard about the delamination issue, though, is really interesting. If true, it'd be a much more plausible explanation for the change to the carbon fiber reinforced shaft since it'd provide a very tangible benefit in cutting down on time/money spent on repairs and replacements, rather than a questionable or, at best, marginal performance benefit.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a BK3 and a BK2. The BK3 is a considerable improvement over the BK2 in pretty much every area.

I'm finding that I break harder and squat the cueball better than I did before. I see this reflected in my runouts against the ghost. In 8-ball I'm regularly seeing 5 balls past the line even on a 9-foot table.

This is hard to quantify but I feel like this break cue lets me get away with being a little more sloppy in the way that I hit the cue ball than with other break cues. Like there is a larger sweet spot. I also don't see a lot of action off the cueball after the break which is definitely a good thing.

The only drawback as I see it is the price and the lack of a sport model with the tacky grip (I liked it).

I think its worth every penny and I've tried or owned virtually every break cue on the market. This is the best I have used to date for my game personally.

kelvinling

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Predator BK3 sure hits hard. But one of the major problems in my opinion is just how it feels. I'm the sort of player that needs to know how will the cue ball react from the response of the cue that I'm using. That is why till date I would still prefer my Mezz PBP or the old BK/BK2. The carbon fibre part seems to be reinforcing but at the same time, preventing actual feedback to the breaker. No scientific prove from my side but it's just my personal opinion. Still, no doubt that it does break really hard.