Predator Championship League Pool

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you guys know much about this? I’m curious about that format, the production value of the broadcast, and where to see it. Is this going to be another DAZN thing? I assume it’s 9-ball.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Sounds like a league for professionals with a 8-day season.

Happy to see in-person tournaments coming back.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Based on the description, it looks like a carbon copy of the championship league in snooker currently being played. Every day or two is a different round robin group playing live. They play short races so you get through a lot of matches in a day. The winner or each group moves on to the next round where all the group winners are organized into a new group. Eventually they narrow it down to two final groups where the winner of each face each other in a final. It’s not dissimilar to the IPT structure.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve come to expect a high level of production from Matchroom. It makes me wonder what to expect in terms of environment, broadcast, commentators, hype, etc.

Sounds like we are on similar footing in terms of knowing very little about it. I feel like it came from nowhere. I’m wondering if I missed some bigger press announcement.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really like this format -each play plays lots of matches and each match is short race to 5. This is better test of who is better player (at least over that 8 day period) rather than one to one long races to 100000. The better player must be able to play under extreme pressure where every shot counts, beat all kinds of players with different styles, tempo etc and that is what this event does.
Here are first two players https://www.facebook.com/pg/matchroompool/posts/

filler.jpg

ouschan.jpg

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA calendar is also showing four "Predator US Pro Tour" ranking events in AZ, NV, MI, and Puerto Rico. No further info than dates.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA calendar is also showing four "Predator US Pro Tour" ranking events in AZ, NV, MI, and Puerto Rico. No further info than dates.
The Michigan event seems it might be the “free to watch pro event” that coincides with the CAI State Championships.

1FD9EF40-C3D5-4BDE-9C2E-752BB20DC934.jpeg
ACA6B6DB-FD3D-4D26-8583-B58714141A5A.jpeg

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Michigan event seems it might be the “free to watch pro event” that coincides with the CAI State Championships.

View attachment 586758View attachment 586759

Good catch. So looking that up then the AZ event listed at the 1st of the Predator Pro Tour would be in conjunction with the CSI AZ state championship in July: https://www.playcsipool.com/2021-arizona-state-championships.html

The NV event list as the 2nd stop on the Predator Pro Tour are the dates of the Diamond Las Vegas Open.

MI event is the one above.

So that just leaves the fourth in Puerto Rico in November.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Robinson latest to be announced for CLP
So now 11 of 19 players confirmed

Fedor Gorst
Oi
Chris Melling
Jayson Shaw
Sky
SVB
Albin
Filler
Kaci
Kelly Fisher
Chris Robinson

8 more to go.
Looks like an overwhelming Euro event. Recent Mosconi cuppers are shoo in so Cory is in. Maybe Justin
Usual suspects on Matchroom events will usually be invited.

So remaining 8 could be from this list:
Corey
Niels
David Alcaide
Ralf
Ruslan
Mark Gray
Kazakis
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz
Mario He
Darren ?
Justin?
Karl Boyes?
Few Poles?
:D

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sky, Shane and Fedor have backed out.
Scuttlebutt is that Pred. wont' allow them to wear their sponsor's logos.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Robinson latest to be announced for CLP
So now 11 of 19 players confirmed

Fedor Gorst
Oi
Chris Melling
Jayson Shaw
Sky
SVB
Albin
Filler
Kaci
Kelly Fisher
Chris Robinson

8 more to go.
Looks like an overwhelming Euro event. Recent Mosconi cuppers are shoo in so Cory is in. Maybe Justin
Usual suspects on Matchroom events will usually be invited.

So remaining 8 could be from this list:
Corey
Niels
David Alcaide
Ralf
Ruslan
Mark Gray
Kazakis
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz
Mario He
Darren ?
Justin?
Karl Boyes?
Few Poles?
:D
According to the Matchroom website, only 7 players confirmed so far. Chris Robinson being the lone US player.

gerryf

This was discussed on the Billiards Network podcast yesterday.

Fedor and Shane are sponsored by Cuetec.
Skyler is sponsored by Meucci.
Jason is thinking about pulling out but i don't know who his sponsor is.

The rumor (no one has seen the contract) was that the players had to wear the Predator logo. According to the podcast this is common, and players are usually allowed to wear two or three subsidiary patches.

In response to the criticism, Predator changed their logo from a brand logo to an event logo, but the new logo didn't meet with approval. Apparently it said "Predator CLP", rather than "Predator Championship League Pool", and it wasn't clear that it was an event logo.

Common reaction on the podcast was that this was an 'everyone lose' scenario, and it's in Predator/Matchroom's interest to get this resolved. They want the top players there, and the top players want to be there.

We'll see..

Reactions: JAM