Predator cue question

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the difference between the Blak 4 series and the P3 series other than looks?

P3 is a multi piece laminated butt that ends up basically being a single cored wood piece end to end. Scroll down a bit here and you'll see https://www.predatorcues.com/usa/pr...pool-cue-with-extension-leather-lux-wrap.html

What I can't really figure out from reading the description is if the wood they say it is, like rosewood, is the real natural wood or just some color spray/sticker/overlay to make it look like that wood. They talk about the "finish" on the cue, but never really say "all natural wood".

Blak is a normal handle/forearm build, pretty sure it's maple with a black coat of paint with inlays.

If it matters, more players like the P3 hit, as do I. I like the radial versions the best after trying several different ones at the Predator booth at SBE and a few other places. Never owned either one myself.

Last edited:

ak1975

I never played a blak, but own a P3 & revo shaft. It is perfection to me, the balance, and hit are like anything else I've played. If not just for price but I think P3 is made better, 30 piece laminate butt vs 4 on the blak. Then again what do I know lol

Last edited:

Zerksies

The P3 has 30 laminations and the Blak is 4 laminations. In theory the P3 should hold up longer against warpage. I would also figure that both butts will have a different feel to them with the same shaft.

TrxR

I never played a blak, but own a P3 & revo shaft. It is perfection to me, the balance, and hit are like anything else I've played. If not just for price but I think P3 is made better, 30 piece laminate butt vs 4 on the blak. Then again what do I know lol
Thanks. Now how does the Ikon line fit in?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it would nice if they made a radial version of the laminated butt cues
They do. My Bacote P3 has a Radial joint.
Predator P3e.png

ngtvd

Owned a P3 and Blak 4-1. The biggest thing for me was the width of the butts (haha). P3 is thicker and Blaks (possibly Ikons) are very thin in comparison. In retrospect I would say the P3 had a stiffer hit, but that didn't matter to me personally and I chose to shoot with the Blak for comfort reasons (easier grip on cue). I have slightly smaller than average hands and this was a big difference maker for me. I shoot with a Mezz EC7 butt at the moment and love it for what it's worth (also love how stiff it shoots). In terms of width, it's probably in between a P3 and C4 constructed Blak

Last edited:

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Predator (for years) has been missing out on a large part of the market by focusing on their Uni-loc joints---- lots of folks avoid them.
It is nice to see they're FINALLY beginning to offer more cues with a Radial choice.

Grimper

Predator (for years) has been missing out on a large part of the market by focusing on their Uni-loc joints---- lots of folks avoid them.
It is nice to see they're FINALLY beginning to offer more cues with a Radial choice.

I just bought a new P3 -- only because I could get it with the radial pin. I got rid of all of my Uni-loc cues. Never again for me :)

Brad131!

Owned a P3 and Blak 4-1. The biggest thing for me was the width of the butts (haha). P3 is thicker and Blaks (possibly Ikons) are very thin in comparison. In retrospect I would say the P3 had a stiffer hit, but that didn't matter to me personally and I chose to shoot with the Blak for comfort reasons (easier grip on cue). I have slightly smaller than average hands and this was a big difference maker for me. I shoot with a Mezz EC7 butt at the moment and love it for what it's worth (also love how stiff it shoots). In terms of width, it's probably in between a P3 and C4 constructed Blak
I’m in the same category. I prefer a smaller butt. I have an SP2 and wonder how it would compare with the Blak.