Predator Men's Event Cancelled, Alberta Canada.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if it was in calgary it might have done better.
why they chose red deer is beyond me.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There's no question that the overly top-heavy payout structures that these 10-ball events have featured is a significant problem.
The evidence is clear why Matchroom events sell out in mere hours. Win 2 matches, and you get some money back. That helps defray costs.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In North America Predator is not producing these events alone. They partnered with CSI, and locations are picked where CSI have BCA league presence, and to support the local CSI/BCA league operators. If you look at past Pro events, they are concurrently run with CSI amateur state and regional events, and this helps defray some of the operating costs.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
That's the funniest part for me to be honest. For years the West coasters complain about the massive league and/or major tourneys always being in Ontario. They finally get the opprotunity to have, again what should be, a major event in their neck of the woods and they can't be bothered to support it.

Ya, there is that, but not many around here play pool mid-summer. I saw that Janri, a local guy, entered, but most others are golfing this time of year. The last big tournaments held out west went well, of course they were many years ago (Calgary, Prince Albert, had folks like Earl, Mike Massey, etc. come up).

Although I'm personally closer to Toronto then any of the other places you suggested. I have no bias toward that location other than selfish convenience. Now that I'm thinking about it. Either Niagara or Ottawa would be my choices. Niagara is a destination for many because of the Falls, so why not provide the out of country players something to experience while they're here. Ottawa, being the nation's capitol has it's own heritage that may interest some.

Make the event something enticing for globe trotting players. Rather than just another hotel event room with a bunch of tables dropped on the floor.

Ottawa might be a reasonable choice.

Dave <-- lived in Roncesvalles then the waterfront for years back in the 80's

telinoz

Registered
That's the funniest part for me to be honest. For years the West coasters complain about the massive league and/or major tourneys always being in Ontario. They finally get the opprotunity to have, again what should be, a major event in their neck of the woods and they can't be bothered to support it.

Although I've never taken part myself. Both the CPA (APA) and CCS (ACS) leagues host yearly national events in Niagara Falls. I can't say how large these events are, but they must be far north of the numbers you would hope to have for one of these predator events. So, the facilities must exist even though I can't personally name the locations. Niagara being a tourist town, would have countless over night stay options. Which would include obvious USA options as well.

Although I'm personally closer to Toronto then any of the other places you suggested. I have no bias toward that location other than selfish convenience. Now that I'm thinking about it. Either Niagara or Ottawa would be my choices. Niagara is a destination for many because of the Falls, so why not provide the out of country players something to experience while they're here. Ottawa, being the nation's capitol has it's own heritage that may interest some.

Make the event something enticing for globe trotting players. Rather than just another hotel event room with a bunch of tables dropped on the floor.
This in general is the model to follow around the World.

Nothing worse than a tournament in a nowhere town or city.
Make it a location that is a destination.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
This in general is the model to follow around the World.

Nothing worse than a tournament in a nowhere town or city.
Make it a location that is a destination.

We may see more of the women this time due to this recent event.
It will be interesting to see how the women's event works out and if any of them
have problems with Canada's covid requirements.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member

Although I've never taken part myself. Both the CPA (APA) and CCS (ACS) leagues host yearly national events in Niagara Falls.
When the BCA leagues were sold to CSI, it's my understanding a faction broke away and formed ACS. Not familar with the Canadian amateur league scene, but if ACS has a strong presence in Ontario stemming from historical BCA leagues, then some of the comments makes sense in context (posting from outdated information such as thinking Mark Griffin is still in charge of CSI).

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe nobody trusted the Predator tables? Probably not , it's more than likely not carring for the format and the Matchtoom events being more important.

Maybe they didn't want to be in a Country that has such and idiot of a PM.
Or maybe the idiot is the guy that needlessly makes an ignorant political comment in a forum where it is completely inappropriate and unnecessary.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Apparently, there is the EuroTour this week, then the Predator Event, then a Matchroom Event on the other side of that.

A bit congested it would appear.

mrwinky

I believe Red Deer was chosen due to a facility that could support the event, original Grey Eagle in Calgary was looked at ( great venue) but no availability. Its disappointing I will admit as I was looking forward to seeing the pro's while playing in the Am event, I know the women's pro event is a go, but also I was hoping to have another beer with John Schmidt and get him to sign my mr 626 cue I picked up earlier.