Predator p3 with revo, should I buy?

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Hi, just curious about opinions on going from expensive custom cues to shooting with a p3 and revo shaft. I've spent and lost a bundle of money on great custom cues and am now thinking of just getting a p3. Anyone else here done the same thing? How would you compare the playability of a p3 to similar playing custom? I've owned a CAM, a Steve Dunkle John Davis conversion, a Dave Kikel, a sugar tree, Carmeli, a ivory jointed titlist conversion and a few others that escape me. Let me know your opinion.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, do it. Great cue at a reasonable price.
What makes a cue playable is a good stroke.

E2019916-63BB-498D-9E75-AA29DD42AF5D.jpeg

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. If you have used custom cues before, what makers cue would you compare hit with? The last I owned was a Carmeli that played very similar to a Schick I played with.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Go for it. The customs you mentioned probably did not come with a LD shaft. The P3 will. It will feel different. If you've spent and lost a bundle money on custom cues, it must have been for a reason. So try the P3

Rusty in Montana

I'd give it a try I've got a predator sneaky Pete cue and enjoy it and like my predator BK2 cue also .
Be sure to let us know how it works out for you .

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Why not just go half way and buy a Revo and stick it on one of your custom butts?
I would've done that a while ago, but most of the customs I had, came with non standard joint pins and wasn't comfortable sending my whole cue away for measurement purposes. And, I've sold them all or got swindled by Ryan Tart out of Georgia. He got my kikel, dunkle/Davis conversion and my Mclennan. Sent me a warped sugar tree cue that wasn't what it was claimed to be. I learned a hard lesson on that deal.
Give it a whirl a couple of websites offer a 30 day return policy if you don't like it you can return it. I recommend the 12.4 revo.
I'm still on the fence, but I do appreciate the replies AZB members. Thank you.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've had at a minimum 100 different cues the past 26 years. Had tons of customs and some production cues. Tried lots of stuff, but nothing over 5k as that was always a bit steep for me. Still have 13 or 14 cues at the moment but will tell you the shaft I use 98% of the time is a Revo. Best shaft I've ever used, never gets dinged up, never warped or rolls bad and it definitely stays slick all night and I tend to sweat a lot. I think I have 3 Revo shafts here, the bk rush shaft & the air rush shaft. Do also have a rogue, ignite, Meucci & OB(listed for sale through consignment at the moment) cf shafts in the collection too. Think I'll be sticking with them for a long time.

terpdad

Registered
I've had at a minimum 100 different cues the past 26 years. Had tons of customs and some production cues. Tried lots of stuff, but nothing over 5k as that was always a bit steep for me. Still have 13 or 14 cues at the moment but will tell you the shaft I use 98% of the time is a Revo. Best shaft I've ever used, never gets dinged up, never warped or rolls bad and it definitely stays slick all night and I tend to sweat a lot. I think I have 3 Revo shafts here, the bk rush shaft & the air rush shaft. Do also have a rogue, ignite, Meucci & OB(listed for sale through consignment at the moment) cf shafts in the collection too. Think I'll be sticking with them for a long time.
Damn it. This makes me feel like my cue addiction is under control by comparison. Now I might have to buy another:LOL:

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Nice! I'm also concerned about not using a glove with the revo shaft. I dont have sweaty hands and I dont like wearing a glove......at all! Is the shaft fine to use with no glove?

terpdad

Registered
Nice! I'm also concerned about not using a glove with the revo shaft. I dont have sweaty hands and I dont like wearing a glove......at all! Is the shaft fine to use with no glove?
Probably better than your maple shaft. I wear a glove, but if you don't like them you wouldn't need to.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Never used or owned a glove. Have no clue why I see pros using a glove while shooting with any cf shaft.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, just curious about opinions on going from expensive custom cues to shooting with a p3 and revo shaft. I've spent and lost a bundle of money on great custom cues and am now thinking of just getting a p3. Anyone else here done the same thing? How would you compare the playability of a p3 to similar playing custom? I've owned a CAM, a Steve Dunkle John Davis conversion, a Dave Kikel, a sugar tree, Carmeli, a ivory jointed titlist conversion and a few others that escape me. Let me know your opinion.
The butt of the cue is basically a handle for the shaft and tip.

Playability (as in how the shaft deflects and moves the cueball around) is all in the shaft, balance, grip and part of the hit feel are in the butt along with the shaft.

Any cue you like the feel off will have the same performance with the same shaft if you swap the shaft around on them.

Asking how a cue plays compared to any other is like asking for opinions on food or audio, or anything that is mostly personal preference. Once you get past a certain quality level that is not clearly badly made, there are as many options are there are people.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I’ve gone back and forth a few times between my customs and a few P3s. I’ve enjoyed both, I like the P3 as I was able to get the weight bolt set, extensions and cue all in one shot and fit was not an issue with any of it. But ultimately the shaft and tip combos are really what will make the difference, lately I’ve been playing with an old Mark Bear fullsplice, balance right extension and rogue shaft, been feeling good so I’ve stuck with it

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
The butt of the cue is basically a handle for the shaft and tip.

Playability (as in how the shaft deflects and moves the cueball around) is all in the shaft, balance, grip and part of the hit feel are in the butt along with the shaft.

Any cue you like the feel off will have the same performance with the same shaft if you swap the shaft around on them.

Asking how a cue plays compared to any other is like asking for opinions on food or audio, or anything that is mostly personal preference. Once you get past a certain quality level that is not clearly badly made, there are as many options are there are people.
I understand what you are getting at. My goal in comparison was along the lines of, does the p3 play similar to a Carmeli with a 3/8x10, or a radial pinned PFD? My example would be when I chose my last cue, it was between the Carmeli, Richard Black, Bill Schick, and a Richard Hsu. All hit nearly the same, excellently! Feel was almost identical even though the joint pins were different sizes and joint materials ranged from ivory to brass.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I understand what you are getting at. My goal in comparison was along the lines of, does the p3 play similar to a Carmeli with a 3/8x10, or a radial pinned PFD? My example would be when I chose my last cue, it was between the Carmeli, Richard Black, Bill Schick, and a Richard Hsu. All hit nearly the same, excellently! Feel was almost identical even though the joint pins were different sizes and joint materials ranged from ivory to brass.

P3 will not feel similar to a Carmeli that's for sure. But that's not a bad thing, both cues are constructed differently. The p3 especially I feel that it's constructed differently than all the cues in the market. The material is also different so how would you expect that it would hit similar to a maple butt? I expect Carmeli is a maple butt cue right? well P3 is different material ergo it will feel different.

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. It may be a very good thing for somebody who loves the hit of a p3 :D the hit and feel are very very subjective and each person has his own likes and dislikes. I can love a cue very much while at the same time a friend of mine hates it too much! So it is hard to discuss cues and preferences in forums man.

Anyway, what I would like to add is, p3 is a very solid butt. Nicely constructed with good engineering. It hits great and most people that play with it love it, It ran 626 in straight pool, and that's how reliable it is. If you get used to it you can rely on it, that's it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've hit with a few models of the P3, however the hit feel you would have to compare with the same shaft on them. Stick a Revo on all the cues and it will hit like 80% Revo hit for example. I have to say a Radial Predator with the same shaft had a better hit feel than their quick release pin. No P3 I tried felt like the Carmeli and Schick I tried but then again none of those had the same shaft on them.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Hey to all the folks that gave their opinion I just wanted to say thank you. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm probably going to get the p3 melenge' golden curly maple with wrap and radial pin. It took me awhile to find one without the uniloc joint. Never cared for piloted joints except for an ivory jointed 5/16x14 Richard Black, that one played sweet! Again, thank you. Once purchased and played with I will come back and give my 2 cents in comparison to the customs I've shot with. Hope everyone has a fantastic holidays and be safe and shoot straight!