Predator's P3's vs Schon

RailKing85

What's everyone's opinion on these P3's vs a Schon? Wrap. No Wrap? Is the black one made from ebony, lending to a more forward balance? Hit, feel.. What's everyone's impression that's used one, with or without a REVO. 🤙 1672450831667.png1672450846284.png

Attachments

• 1672451022887.png
    1672451022887.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 1672451053565.png
    1672451053565.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 87

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot is going to depend on what shaft you choose for the cue as far as the hit. Predator makes low deflection shafts which have a much stiffer hit compared to a standard maple shaft. The schon cue will have a more forward balance due to the steel joint. Personally I like maple shafts and steel joint cues so I would much prefer the schon. The reason being is maple shafts have a softer hit and the sound and feedback I get while hitting the cue ball is much more appealing to me.

RailKing85

A lot is going to depend on what shaft you choose for the cue as far as the hit. Predator makes low deflection shafts which have a much stiffer hit compared to a standard maple shaft. The schon cue will have a more forward balance due to the steel joint. Personally I like maple shafts and steel joint cues so I would much prefer the schon. The reason being is maple shafts have a softer hit and the sound and feedback I get while hitting the cue ball is much more appealing to me.
Going with the REVO 12.9. I'm not 100% sure what balance point I prefer. But I know when I tried a Valhalla cue that has the bolt threaded deep and puts the balance point right above the wrap. I didn't really like that.

Grimper

I just bought the P3 (with wrap) a month or so ago and really like it. Bought it with a 12.4mm tip, but have switched to the 12.9.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I'm not 100% sure what balance point I prefer. But I know when I tried a Valhalla cue that has the bolt threaded deep and puts the balance point right above the wrap. I didn't really like that.
Then you appear to like rear heavy cues.
If that is the case, then Schon won't probably be for you, they're balanced a bit forward.

My p3 is curly maple.

Never shot with a Schön so I can only defer to the opinions of the people that have.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned both. I prefer the Predator PS with the luxe wrap.
The Schon is the more traditional wood cue. You can get a real leather wrap.
Predator uses a lot of non traditional materials, carbon fiber, the luxe wrap, the UniLoc Joints.
Predator just feels better to me. Both are good cues.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon all the way between those two. Buy an older second hand one. I dont recommend buying anything predator brand.
Joss will feel play almost the same as a schon...if u get a regular 12.75 shaft or so. Joss's 13.25 is a fucking tree trunk..(makes a great break shaft with a sumo extra hard water buffalo leather tip or a sonic phenolic tip from mezz btw). If the shafts are same. Schon and joss play almost identical. Honestly I kinda like the joss better. Schon has better fit and finish.....I don't have my Joss anymore...but it played just fine. Seems like I always used a diveney lakewood shaft with it. Then I started using it as a breaker with the stock joss 13.23 shaft and a super hard tip

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not ebony, looks like plastic
How about Paint or some sought of pigment.
I tell people all the time trying to do repairs.
If you don't know or can't correct what might happen.
LEAVE IT ALONE.
Fight the battles you can win!
This was an old Predator, all the black was popped and peeling. Came out well but it took more than normal work.

Attachments

• IMG_250822_104618.jpg
    IMG_250822_104618.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_250822_104546.jpg
    IMG_250822_104546.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_250822_104518.jpg
    IMG_250822_104518.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a Joss with standard shaft. I can't find a better cue no matter how much I keep trying.
I agree 100%. Tried most all of them in my 60 years of
playing. Just love Joss. Have 6 of them. Also if you want something special
Dan, Stephen and Debbie are great to work with

FunChamp

Ive tried every cue you can think of. Jacoby, Meucci, Pechauer, predator, McDermott, viking, schon, schmelke, mezz. But always keep my Joss. IMO none are better built, balance, durability and play great. I've never shot with or owned a custom cue so I can't speak on that.

FunChamp

Well except my custom Mike Erwin which I sold 20 years ago. Forgot about that cue. It played wonderfully.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The P3 was on my radar back when I first started shopping for a new player. As it was the only Predator with a hit I enjoyed. However, they are so brutally common. It would be more rare to drive a gray coloured car then own a P3. That aspect mixed with what is (imo) a horrible joint, turned me away. As far as a Revo shaft...?..., the worst of the CF I've demo'd,

I've never owned one but have had a soft spot for old schons. Very classic looking cues that generally don't feel like crap when you hit a ball. I've read here the current models play terribly, or just maybe not as well as they used to...? <--I honestly don't know from first person experience

As far as my unsolicited suggestion. Try swinging at a few with a Mezz before you buy something else.

RailKing85

I have owned both. I prefer the Predator PS with the luxe wrap.
The Schon is the more traditional wood cue. You can get a real leather wrap.
Predator uses a lot of non traditional materials, carbon fiber, the luxe wrap, the UniLoc Joints.
Predator just feels better to me. Both are good cues.
Whats PS?