Preserving wood's color

terpdad

Registered
I just bought a cue w/ purpleheart in it, which I know can darken over time. The cue stays in my basement where it would not receive direct sunlight but would get some filtered light, depending on the time of day. Is it fine to leave it in my cue rack or should I store it in my case? I wonder if the risk of the wood growing darker is greater than the risk of wearing out threads (it's a radial pin) on a shaft that's taken on & off every day for years.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bit too much thinking here, don't think I ever thought about wearing out the threads or color change with any of my cues, I just use them.

If you are that worried, put a shade over whatever window is there or put it in a place where the light does not hit it in the rack.

I'm surprised that you are not also worried the cue would end up warping sitting upright put together in the rack that way.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People change color from summer to winter. When they die, then they really change, nothing can be done about it. When wood is dead it holds its color pretty well for long time. But eventually it changes too. Usually the veneers fade while the Maple and finish turn yellow. Aging happens. I'm a geezer I see before my very eyes. Love your purple heart while you can.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You really need to worry about O2.
Oxygen can have devastating effects over time.

Store it in an oxygen free enviroment. And the termites will look elsewhere for lunch.