Private pool club - how many members for a 6 table club?

Cyclone

Yes but this thread is not about how much you’d like to own a pool table, it is about the viability of running a private billiards club.

vincett

Yes but this thread is not about how much you’d like to own a pool table, it is about the viability of running a private billiards club.
They are relative don’t they ? If you charged too much for membership fees, then you lose people as they deflect to buying their own ? That was why I brought it up.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guy who started this thread surrendered, maybe we should too. I have been the kiss of death to many a thread, so I will do my utmost here.
Yes, you can make a meager living out of owning a pool room, people do it, but there is one huge thing to think about.
If you have a 10,000 square foot building and you pay x for each square foot, every square foot that is dedicated to a pool table and its renters, will make less money than if it was a dance floor, or an eating area, or almost every other use than pool table.
if someone says " but book collector, those don't make any money at all", go to the corner and put on your cone hat.
So, if you are willing to sacrifice income for an environment you enjoy , then yes , it is possible,
I am sure of one thing though , no matter how much you love pool , it will be a lot less after you own the place for a year.
Eventually , the last place on earth you will want to spend time, is your own pool room.

Last edited:

vincett

I think the guy who started this thread surrendered, maybe we should too. I have been the kiss of death to many a thread, so I will do my utmost here.
Yes, you can make a meager living out of owning a pool room, people do it, but there is one huge thing to think about.
If you have a 10,000 square foot building and you pay x for each square foot, every square foot that is dedicated to a pool table and its renters, will make less money than if it was a dance floor, or an eating area, or almost every other use than pool table.
if someone says " but book collector, those don't make any money at all", go to the corner and put on your cone hat.
So, if you are willing to sacrifice income for an environment you enjoy , then yes , it is possible,
I am sure of one thing though , no matter how much you love pool , it will be a lot less after you own the place for a year.
Eventually , the last place on earth you will want to spend time, is your own pool room.
I do agree with all that you said. Especially the part where one shouldn’t make a hobby as a profession. I enjoy having a hobby, and pool is one of them. Whatever hobby I am in, I need thought about making it as a living. I have a very clear differentiation between a profession and a hobby

BushkaGUY

I think the guy who started this thread surrendered, maybe we should too.
He opened about 6 months ago. His focus is on training, mostly adolescents from what I can tell.
He has a May Special of $100 for 75 minutes. I have no clue how good of an instructor he is.
Their monthly rate for membership is $150.
I'm puzzled about what a Pool Club brings to the party.
As an observation, it lacks what a regular pool room has. For instance, I don't get the impression you could walk in there and expect to get a game unless its prearranged. I don't know if they do repairs or have odds and ends to sell. I didn't see anything about a league except a reference to a discount for M8 members. So your exposure to different levels of play is very limited.
Hard to say if they are making ends meet or not as a stand alone Pool Club without the training revenue, which would have to contribute a lot just to keep the lights on. Oh. I guess theres a snack bar.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He opened about 6 months ago. His focus is on training, mostly adolescents from what I can tell.
He has a May Special of $100 for 75 minutes. I have no clue how good of an instructor he is.
Their monthly rate for membership is $150.
I'm puzzled about what a Pool Club brings to the party.
As an observation, it lacks what a regular pool room has. For instance, I don't get the impression you could walk in there and expect to get a game unless its prearranged. I don't know if they do repairs or have odds and ends to sell. I didn't see anything about a league except a reference to a discount for M8 members. So your exposure to different levels of play is very limited.
Hard to say if they are making ends meet or not as a stand alone Pool Club without the training revenue, which would have to contribute a lot just to keep the lights on. Oh. I guess theres a snack bar.
Thanks, good luck to everyone involved.