Pro + Cons of a Cone shaped Ferrule

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having a discussion with someone on their ferrule, it was coned-shaped and they said they like it like that, because it creates a smaller tip diameter, hence more English. They also believed this way would squirt less than taking the whole shaft done. Can you guys give me your opinions on this?

Thanks
 
Ace

I think your friends position isn't all that uncommon, but I also don't think it's right either.

Reducing the tip size, and only the tip size, won't really change the spin or the cue ball deflection. I mean it will reduce the cue ball deflection some, but only a very minor amount, and I don't see it changing the spin any at all.
 
Reducing the tip size does not change the spin, it just allows the shooter to hit closer to where he thinks he is hitting the cueball. It is just a better visual aid for some.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com
 
Has anyone seriously expermented with this? Like a 13mm shaft and taper the ferrule to like 11 or 10mm at the tip.
 
I have tapered the ferrule for a couple of customers - not so dratically as 13mm down to 11mm, but to follow the same line as the shaft - so not very much. It makes for a clean line of sight all the way to the cue. I also taper the tip slightly to keep that same smooth aiming line. I have to admit, I like it myself, but I don't do it unless requested for tip replacements and the like.

My 2 cents,

Gary
 
Bob Danielson pretty much summed up my point of view. Physically, it shouldn't really do anything. Psychologically/mentally, maybe it does help him.
 
Back
Top