problem with finish.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I got this Schon that was in really bad condition. The finish had a few chips in it. So I decided to refinish the cue and put a stacked leather wrap on it. So I stripped the old finish off and applied a cyanoacrylate finish. It came out beautiful except where I had to cut into it to release it from the tape. Every time I cut into it it gives me a bubble under the finish. one place is near the joint where the wood meats the stainless collar. It took an otherwise near flawless finish and kind of ruins it for me. What if anything could I have done to not bubble it while cutting?

Attachments

• 2015-02-09 20.14.25.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.14.25.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 274
  • 2015-02-09 20.14.20.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.14.20.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 2015-02-09 20.14.13.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.14.13.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 2015-02-09 20.14.04.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.14.04.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 2015-02-09 20.13.57.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.13.57.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 265

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From a far it actually came out awesome and am really happy with the stacked leader wrap. Not bad for my first one I think.

Attachments

• 2015-02-09 20.13.37.jpg
    2015-02-09 20.13.37.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 269

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
OK, I'm going to ask you just one question and your answer will also be your moment of enlightenment.

Why did you feel that you had to make a cut btwn the ring-work and the collar?

That usually gets wet-sanded flush.

HTHs, KJ

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I'm going to ask you just one question and your answer will also be your moment of enlightenment.

HTHs, KJ

I had to because it overlapped the tape and i was trying to get the tape off so i could sand it flush.

I also had the same problem at the wrap area and the but cap where my live center was but those areas i could fix

So am I not supposed to cut the tape out then? If so how do i get the tape out without screwing up the finish?

Or would i just wet sand while tape was on there and then once through the finish remove tape and finish feathering out and wet sand?

Last edited:

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTHs, KJ
Also is there anything I can do to fix this without refinishing the whole forearm?

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTHs, KJ

After reading this quote I went back and watch the Hightower video on finishes and realized I taped it wrong and that was my problem. Your right, it did give me a moment of pause. Also after re-watching I realized he never cut the joint he just cut next to the mandrel then fished sanding. I definitely see where I made a few mistakes and what to do next time to alleviate them problems. Thank you KJ you definitely helped ALOT.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Can't offer any help on this cue, but can offer some advice for future reference. Use high quality CA that's designed for strength, not the crap you get at the hardware store. Any high end industrial CA will be fine so long as the viscosity is workable. Be sure you have a very clean surface for adhesion. Clean with acetone or denatured alcohol immediately before applying the CA. Cutting is fine, and is necessary at the wrap ends to get a clean, sharp ledge. The trick is to use a freshly sharp HSS bit that is ground with heavy relief. The idea is to peel/slice the hardened CA like a razor blade. Typical carbide single point cutters will tear it, which causes the bubbles you see. A sharp HSS blade with proper grind will make a very nice, clean cut without putting undue pressure on the CA. This works for any finish I have tried, including CA. Hope this helps

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTHs, KJ

so is there anything i can do to fix this cue or am i looking at a complete redo of the forearm?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Since you've quoted me I can assume that you're asking me.
I don't have first hand experience with doing a CA finish.
I seal ferrules with CA and that's about it. I shoot auto-clear.
On small jobs I have been able to blend the CA in.
You'll have to remove that which has lifted.
I expect you'll have a more definitive answer shortly as
I know several on here do a CA finish.

Good Luck, KJ

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you've quoted me I can assume that you're asking me.
I don't have first hand experience with doing a CA finish.
I seal ferrules with CA and that's about it. I shoot auto-clear.
On small jobs I have been able to blend the CA in.
You'll have to remove that which has lifted.
I expect you'll have a more definitive answer shortly as
I know several on here do a CA finish.

Good Luck, KJ

Yes I was asking you. And thanx for the quick response. So you can blend the two without it showing? never knew that. Always figured it would show.