Pros and cons of buying a valley 7FT for the house

ghindi7

Registered
I got a good deal on a nice non coin op valley 7ft bar box. Will it negatively effect my game on 9 footers?

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 7 foot bar box on my patio with Simonis 860HR and Ridgeback rails. Plays great. I have a monthly 8 ball tournament played on a 9 foot Big G Gandy. Doesn't affect my game at all. True, the long shots on a 7 foot table are easier but all the angles and cuts are the same on either table. I enjoy my 7 foot table more than the 9 footer but if possible I would have had a 9 foot Diamond or GC installed in my living room (my wife said: "over my dead body!"). I wouldn't worry about it, buy the Valley and enjoy...

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
If you mostly play on 9-foot tables, then for the home table:

9 ft > 7 ft > no table at all.

IMHO.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your safeties will become easy to do and become easier to spot.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that having a home table is an easy way to justify dropping out of league play and just do the occasional tournament. It's a big expenditure upfront, but my table has paid for itself in this way.

ghindi7

Registered
Thanks for the input, the table is going in my garage which is 20 x 15, but I have all my garage type stuff in there, lawn mower, full size fridge filled with beer, bikes, and things... So I would like to still have more moving around space with the smaller table.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
One pocket and straight pool practice doesn't translate to a 7 foot table. You are kinda limited to 8 ball, 9 ball, and banks. And banks on a small table feel much different than on a 9 footer.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned above, if you don't bother playing 1P or 14.1, then a 7 footer is fine. If it's all you can fit, go for it. I'd prefer a 9ft diamond, but space is always the key. I'd get a 7ft diamond over the valley.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can play 14.1 on a 7 footer. It's a bit of a different game though. Lot more clusters; no long shots. In my experience you have to have a really tight cue ball to avoid getting hooked, especially around/behind the rack. So that's good practice.

Can't speak to 1P.

ghindi7

Registered
I would love to be able to get a diamond table, but they seem both harder to find used an much more expensive. I'm loping a good condition valley for 400... Hard to beat a price like that.