Pros Breaking Style

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Can this technique be modified or adapted to the different kind of reflection you get from a perimeter light?
I suppose it could....The overhead being centered over a table creates the center reference on the ball....perimeter lighting would be random I suppose...but still consistent for each table...so once you dial in a reference point you are good to go (for that table)

The centered light is best as it gives you a consistent center ball reference aim point from anywhere along the break line.....Perimeter lighting may not give you a center ball reflection...but it still will be a consistent point.....unless you are playing in a strip club and the lights overhead are moving.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was working new year night and needed some movement after long sitting. Went to club after night and started my first ghost match of new year. I was gonna play race to 21 vs 9-ball God.
totally i broke 14 times. I believe I made 1-ball to side every time. (have to confirm from my vid)
My rheumatism started put me lot of pain and i finally gave up after i was 8-6 up.
I started new year with 5 run outs then did not have much 4 next break and then ran 2 more and i felt i need stop due pain.
I took lil break and tried continue and ran 1 more to go 8-4 up. Played iffy next rack and missed easyish 9 and then easy 3 ball next rack and decided finally give up.

But break. I think it is 3-5mm thicker than half ball when shoot it perfect. That draw that i have in it is essential for me keep making 1-ball even i don´t always hit it perfect cut. Less draw and i start missing 1-ball.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
3 ball is my favorite break practice. While it has nothing to do with where or how I strive to hit a 9 ball rack, it does give me practice striking the cueball with precision and power. For 3 ball, starting with the cueball about 4" either side of the head spot and aiming to hit the head ball square. If struck well I want the cueball to bounce about 6" straight back and sit. The fact that all 3 can be made if hit perfect makes it fun. The fact that the paths of all 3 is dependent on the purity of the strike makes analysis straight forward.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
In all my years of play, thee best, most consistent breaker of all-in-one match, our match was on a bar table in OH.
This man hit the head ball sooooo square that whitey jumped ''straight up'' 11 times in a row and came down hitting the play surface bouncing twice and landed dead/table middle Every time.
I was playing my best then and lost on the hill but this man, we all know or have heard of, and it makes sense because of his greatness in his discipline.

John Brumback

Last edited:

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember a video of Mike Deschaine, who as I remember had (has?) break speed around 33 mph, breaking the table light once when his CB shot straight up. Which is crazy, because to shoot up at that angle means it was just a hair off the table at contact with the head ball and hit it nearly full - but still had the energy to travel 4-5 ft up against gravity.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was working new year night and needed some movement after long sitting. Went to club after night and started my first ghost match of new year. I was gonna play race to 21 vs 9-ball God.
totally i broke 14 times. I believe I made 1-ball to side every time. (have to confirm from my vid)
My rheumatism started put me lot of pain and i finally gave up after i was 8-6 up.
I started new year with 5 run outs then did not have much 4 next break and then ran 2 more and i felt i need stop due pain.
I took lil break and tried continue and ran 1 more to go 8-4 up. Played iffy next rack and missed easyish 9 and then easy 3 ball next rack and decided finally give up.

But break. I think it is 3-5mm thicker than half ball when shoot it perfect. That draw that i have in it is essential for me keep making 1-ball even i don´t always hit it perfect cut. Less draw and i start missing 1-ball.
I checked video and indeed i made 1 ball every time. I cut those breaks off. I think i hit about half very good and rest good enough.
So far my making 1-ball from break on 2024 is 100%. I guess it might go down lil bit when play more :D:D:D

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
In all my years of play, thee best, most consistent breaker of all-in-one match, our match was on a bar table in OH.
This man hit the head ball sooooo square that whitey jumped ''straight up'' 11 times in a row and came down hitting the play surface bouncing twice and landed dead/table middle Every time.
I was playing my best then and lost on the hill but this man, we all know or have heard of, and it makes sense because of his greatness in his discipline.

John Brumback
Was his name Jason? There was a guy 20 yrs back at the hall I frequented and that was his break. Probably a different guy though because I don’t think this Jason I’m talking about was or is well-known.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Willow, his name is at the post bottom/left.
There I go. Looking dumb again. Last week didn’t know who Vitaly was when I played him and now this one….luckily just found out my woman has billiard tv at her part time workplace. I’ll be over there more often now.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked video and indeed i made 1 ball every time. I cut those breaks off. I think i hit about half very good and rest good enough.
So far my making 1-ball from break on 2024 is 100%. I guess it might go down lil bit when play more :D:D:D
I was working on my 9-ball break from the box over the past week as well and found that I could get the one ball moving toward the side pocket and the wing ball towards the corner where I made one or the other...sometimes both. I could pocket the wing ball more consistently than the one. But, I am working on the break now that I have some consistency on outcome...from either side of the box. Prior to having a table at home, it was a fluke for me to make a ball on the break playing 9ball. Now, it is a fluke not to...this is without a rack template. The rack templates make it even easier.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Snooker Round Robin is in cue.

The event was first held in the 2008/2009 season, and was known as the Six-red Snooker International.
The event was organized by the Asian Confederation of Billiards Sports.
Forty-eight players were divided in 8 round-robin groups.
The top four from each group moved into the knock-out stage.[2]
In 2009 the event was renamed the Six-red World Grand Prix.
In 2010, it replaced a rival tournament (sponsored by 888sport) as the official six red snooker world championship, after the other event—held once in 2009—was discontinued.[2] The event was not held in the 2011/2012 season,[3] but it returned for the 2012/2013 season with the backing of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.
The event was held at the Montien Riverside Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand between 2008 and 2014.[4] The following year it took place in the Fashion Island Shopping Mall, before the Convention Centre became the venue for the tournament from 2016 on.

Flakeandrun

I was working on my 9-ball break from the box over the past week as well and found that I could get the one ball moving toward the side pocket and the wing ball towards the corner where I made one or the other...sometimes both. I could pocket the wing ball more consistently than the one. But, I am working on the break now that I have some consistency on outcome...from either side of the box. Prior to having a table at home, it was a fluke for me to make a ball on the break playing 9ball. Now, it is a fluke not to...this is without a rack template. The rack templates make it even easier.
You are making the wing more consistently than the 1 in the middle from the box? You are playing with a bit of side?

I have stopped trying to consider the wing ball as an option at all. I focus on making the 1 every time, and have gotten pretty consistent at that. With the 2 sitting in the bottom corner of the diamond, I am getting quite a lot of success at giving myself a decent shot on the 2 ball after.

I am playing usually a hair under half ball on the one (almost full ball on the ball behind it in the rack), slight draw, 75% power. Using any side at all seems to up my scratch % quite noticeably. Just a tip under middle is giving me enough pull to get the cueball back into the pack at this speed.

Last edited: