Proud owners of custom cues, what do you do with the spare shaft?

Bluejuice

Registered
Ok so recently I've been looking at custom cues and I've finally ordered one from a cue maker I like that is at my budget.

The build default comes with 2 shafts, which if I'm not wrong is quite common when purchasing customs.

So my question is, what do you guys like to do with the other shaft, assuming you got 2 of the same type of shaft?

Do you play with it as frequently as the other shaft, or keep it aside as a back up or possibly keep at home unused to get a better price should you choose to sell it in the future?

Personally I don't feel I'd need to carry a spare shaft around because I don't really compete or play big money games, I just love the game and admire the art and craftsmanship of custom cues and because of that, even if the tip pops off during a session, it's not like I'd be in trouble if I wasn't able to use my cue mid-session, so that isn't really a big concern of mine now.

I'm interested in the option of keeping the spare shaft aside at home in the event that I need to sell the cue, but not sure if there is any optimal storage method long term for something like a cue shaft.

I'd appreciate any form of discussion, many thanks in advance. :)

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I'm interested in the option of keeping the spare shaft aside at home in the event that I need to sell the cue, but not sure if there is any optimal storage method long term for something like a cue shaft.

I'd appreciate any form of discussion, many thanks in advance. :)

There are some that use a thin black sharpie to write the makers name of the face of the shaft and just store it in a case at home. Some have joint protectors that are marked with the maker. I don't like to write on my shafts and custom JP's can get expensive especially if you have a lot of cues. What I do is buy basic JP'S and use a string tag with the shafts info (maker,brand,length ect.) and put them under the JP'S before I store it. A lot of cues have unique ring work but if they don't they can easily get mixed up if you have a lot of cues. I also have separate cases for all my cues. If you don't want to take an extra shaft just leave it in the safe...

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Who did you order the cue from? Some people like unplayed shafts from certain makers and could have an impact on selling it later.

Me....I’d have to give it a test run and see if it’s the exact same as the other one....probably won’t be, but it should be very close. Carry it with you if you have room in your case, but I’d get a cheap set of JP’s to tell the difference between the two anyway.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second shafts are over rated IMO- I have many custom cues- all with 2 shafts- I just use one bc I don't really understand why there are two. I would not pay for an extra shaft if there was an upcharge. I have been playing for many years and never had to change a shaft mid game for any reason-never.

Bluejuice

Registered
Who did you order the cue from? Some people like unplayed shafts from certain makers and could have an impact on selling it later.

Me....I’d have to give it a test run and see if it’s the exact same as the other one....probably won’t be, but it should be very close. Carry it with you if you have room in your case, but I’d get a cheap set of JP’s to tell the difference between the two anyway.

I ordered a cue from Al bautista. Not exactly the priciest customs, but I've read nothing but good things about him here so I figured I'd give it a shot given the good price. Though cos of that, I'm not expecting the cue value to skyrocket over time. But it'd be nice if keeping one of the shafts unused helps to hold the value of the cue over time if the day that I need to sell it ever comes.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may sound silly, but right now i have a shaft with a kamui black medium, and a black medium clear. I have mis-cued with the clear a bunch, so right now i never use it. If i have multiple mis cues with the regular one, i may switch mid-match just to gain confidence and then work on the tip after.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the point in two shafts. The cuemaker in my area who passed away only made one with the cues.

Last edited:

tabi1

Registered
My first custom cue was also from Al (have a few of his) as i live very near to him. The first cue he built for me i actually bought 3 shafts. Each a bit different diameters and different tips that i supplied as i was just "testing" the waters per se. For the most part for everyone that said it's a waste is pretty spot on. I think the part of having an unhit shaft is also a good selling point though especially on your bigger custom cues. I carry a 2 x3 most of the time for the player, 2 shafts, plus my break/jump and that's enough and i dont know why i even carry the second shaft of the player honestly. If you hadn't already placed an order with Al i could have probably made you a good deal on a cue from him.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The last two custom cues I ordered with 3 shafts each. One shaft was my player, and the other two were untouched for future resell value.

The playing shafts were modified by the cue maker to my specs while the other two shafts were left "standard" from the cue maker.

I mark each shaft on the joint face with a roman numeral, to tell them apart.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every cue I bought with a 2nd shaft has done nothin more than collect dust. However no regrets having having a spare.

Last edited:

8BALL EDDIE

So my question is, what do you guys like to do with the other shaft, assuming you got 2 of the same type of shaft?

The case I carry with me holds my Joss Cues breaking butt-end, my Joss Cues playing butt-end, and 4 shafts.

Mainly, I always use the same one shaft for my break cue, everytime. Similarly, I always use another shaft for my playing cue, everytime.

The other two shafts serve merely as back-up spares. While in a tournament or an important match, if something were to happen to the tip; ferrule; shaft I'm using, then I would be able to swap in a spare.

Also, if I'm getting maintenance done to one of my shafts, then a spare comes 'off the bench' and takes its place until my 'starter' is back in rotation.

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I went the opposite route. When I find a shaft that I like, I have the joint ring matched. Depends on the game or the table, or maybe just how I’m shooting that day.
7ZhfTYT.jpg

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a buddy who had a tip pop off his playing cue during a tournament. He just went to the second shaft without missing a beat.

Recently, I cracked a ferrule somehow playing on my home table. It was still technically "playable" but I was able to go to my second shaft (first time being used in 8 years of owership!) and use that for a couple weeks until I could arrange at my leisure to have the ferrule replaced on shaft #1.

So, in many cases it doesn't do much good. But sometimes it's nice to have a spare. Also, it gives people some options. You can switch tips to try different ones without fully committing yourself by leaving a tip you know you like on the other shaft. If you like different tips or shaft diameters for different games you can do that.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have four shafts for my custom.
They are identical in thickness, length of taper, and tip except for one tip.
3 have hard pressed Triangles and one has a milk dud.
They all seem to play the same.
Can't tell them apart.
I rotate them each session.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I had a buddy who had a tip pop off his playing cue during a tournament. He just went to the second shaft without missing a beat.

Recently, I cracked a ferrule somehow playing on my home table. It was still technically "playable" but I was able to go to my second shaft (first time being used in 8 years of owership!) and use that for a couple weeks until I could arrange at my leisure to have the ferrule replaced on shaft #1.

So, in many cases it doesn't do much good. But sometimes it's nice to have a spare. Also, it gives people some options. You can switch tips to try different ones without fully committing yourself by leaving a tip you know you like on the other shaft. If you like different tips or shaft diameters for different games you can do that.
Yep, that is why there is a second shaft. If you are playing for money at a tournament, and tip on cue you are using goes bye bye, you just use the second shaft.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually hit a few balls unchalked and pick which I'm going to play with before chalking the tip. The other one usually goes untouched until I sell the cue. If I've kept it, then 1 shaft just never gets any use really.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i play with a revo
so i try the cuemakers shafts for a rack or 2 and then they go into the storage case !!

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a full custom by a local maker and it's my main player. It has a unique shaft. (Piloted Nylon insert). Both shafts are played.

I also have a Huebler with 2 matching unique ring worked Nylon inserted shafts with his unique taper. (One shaft has never been played.)

When you have something you REALLY like it is nice to have back ups in case anything unfortunately happens. So I guess my answer is (piece of mind?) Also nice to have the option to have one worked on, and use the back up while your waiting.