question about sniper tips

RazaXML

i just got one I ordered and it seems awfully thin. I measure 3.5mm from the top to the black layer. Seems awfully thin like it's missing 2 layers. I've seen pics of this tip with 7 layers, mine has 5. I imagine it will go right down to the black layer if I install it and cut a nickel profile on it. did I get a dud?

RazaXML

BTW the entire tip as it is new out of the package is 6mm thick (3.5mm of it above the black line). It just seems way to thin for a new tip

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one installed on my shaft and just went and played with it.
It's tip no need to stress out.

tomatoshooter

In a moment of weakness I had one installed just to try it.
All other 5 shafts have Triangle or Le Pro and I can't tell the difference with any of them,I just play.
Maybe you should try a different placebo.

As far as I can tell, the difference is in the feel and the durability. Properly maintained, I don't think there is a difference in performance.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Sniper is a no-go for me.
Triangle.
Let the chumps use the layered tips lol. Half leather, half glue....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sniper is a no-go for me.
Triangle.
Let the chumps use the layered tips lol. Half leather, half glue....

This seems to go very much against your profile "Do what works for YOU!". As do all the other rant posts against shafts LOL
I have had way too many crap single layer tips from the older brands like Triangle and Le Pro to use them, even for house cues. Seems like 1/4 or more of the box you need to toss due to them shredding or feeling like mush.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
This seems to go very much against your profile "Do what works for YOU!". As do all the other rant posts against shafts LOL
I have had way too many crap single layer tips from the older brands like Triangle and Le Pro to use them, even for house cues. Seems like 1/4 or more of the box you need to toss due to them shredding or feeling like mush.
You wanna pay $25 for a tip that glazes and is ever-changing, I have no problem with that.
And yes, a box of 50 Triangles for $50 only yields maybe a dozen decent tips these days.
Pretty simple math tells me a dozen consistent single-layer tips for $50 trumps one $25 layered tip all day long.
But you should definitely use whatever floats your boat!

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
As do all the other rant posts against shafts LOL
As I've said a bizzillion times, I'm not anti-carbon fiber.
Carbon works well for many people, just not for me or MANY top pros.
The final 4 of the UK Open has 3 wood shaft studs in it, and one recently "switched to cf (by Predator)" dominant wood shaft stud user (Josh Filler).
Carbon fiber shafts are not better than wood shafts--- just different.
Carbon fiber shafts ARE superior as break shafts though imo.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final 4 of the UK Open has 3 wood shaft studs in it, and one recently "switched to cf (by Predator)" dominant wood shaft stud user (Josh Filler).

And how many players over 800 Fargo use CF compared to wood? The 4 best players in the world use carbon as noted below:

1.Filler
2.FSR
3.Gorst
4.SVB

And

Jung Lin Chang
Albin
Max Lechner
Fejein
Chua
Sanjin
Alcaide
Kazakis

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

You wanna pay $25 for a tip that glazes and is ever-changing, I have no problem with that.
And yes, a box of 50 Triangles for $50 only yields maybe a dozen decent tips these days.
Pretty simple math tells me a dozen consistent single-layer tips for $50 trumps one $25 layered tip all day long.
But you should definitely use whatever floats your boat!
The trick is finding the good ones.

Nyquil

i just got one I ordered and it seems awfully thin. I measure 3.5mm from the top to the black layer. Seems awfully thin like it's missing 2 layers. I've seen pics of this tip with 7 layers, mine has 5. I imagine it will go right down to the black layer if I install it and cut a nickel profile on it. did I get a dud?
Mine is shorter than my other tips. I think it's just how they are. It plays great, holds shape well. Enjoy it

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Filler just played a near perfect set in the semis with his CF shaft! Just goes to show it doesn't matter what they use the cream will always rise to the top.

Cuedup

That's the dumpster diver motto.
No doubt. But a dumpster diver is more of a general hunt for whatever salvagable product one may find , for free.

Recommending a product you acknowledge is mostly garbage is a bit unique. I'm struggling to think of other products people might recommend where you have to throw away the vast majority before you stumble upon an acceptable one , assuming you know how to identify it.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the sniper it was ok, not super long lasting .
I bought a kamikaze elite soft which looks alot like sniper, but plays better, as it doesnt glaze over and shroom as much as the sniper. Kamikaze elite also comes at 6 to 7 layers prior the black layer, the total thickness is 8mm.
Overall the elite is cheaper ,plays better , and longer lasting for me than the sniper was.
20230604_114749.jpg
20230604_114613.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt. But a dumpster diver is more of a general hunt for whatever salvagable product one may find , for free.

Recommending a product you acknowledge is mostly garbage is a bit unique. I'm struggling to think of other products people might recommend where you have to throw away the vast majority before you stumble upon an acceptable one , assuming you know how to identify it.
Meucci cues?