Question for CTE users

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
When playing on a bar box table with the oversize cue ball, is there an adjustment that needs to be made and if so what?
Wondering if the "A" and "C" points stay at 1/4 and 3/4 on the OB when using the bigger cue ball.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
My guess is there is no workable change to make as the balls need to be the same size, but on a barbox with those bucket pockets it would probably still work fine. I haven't seen barboxes with oversize cueballs in a very long. Any more they use magnetic ones.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Around here lots of the tables in the bars still have those kind of tables. We're kinda behind the times, so to speak.

Anyway, I got one of the bigger cue balls and took it to my table this morning. Found that I was only off a little, and like Mohrt predicted still made lots of balls.

I was cutting the balls a little too thin though for center pocket. So I played around with it and found two ways to adjust for the bigger cue ball that worked pretty good for me.

One was to picture the A and C points as being almost between the 1/4 and 1/8 parts of the OB and then sweep normally.

The other was to keep A and C where they belong and just do less of a sweep. I liked this one the best. YMMV

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Where are you at? I'm in central Arkansas and a diehard CTE player.

Morrilton, so we're pretty close. Maybe we can play a little sometime.
Been playing around with CTE some off and on. One day I'm liking it and the next I'm back to shooting by feel.

Nobody I play with has even ever heard of it so it would be nice to play with someone that does.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What tables use the oversize cue ball?? I have only been playing for 5 years now, I have heard of them but Im not sure I have ever seen one. My Valley is from 1974 according to the serial number and that uses the magnet in the table and metal inside the cue ball. My Gold Crown II is like all the rest with ball returns, no special cue ball, it just goes in the ball box with the rest of them.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
What tables use the oversize cue ball?? I have only been playing for 5 years now, I have heard of them but Im not sure I have ever seen one. My Valley is from 1974 according to the serial number and that uses the magnet in the table and metal inside the cue ball. My Gold Crown II is like all the rest with ball returns, no special cue ball, it just goes in the ball box with the rest of them.

There was a time when the cue ball was slightly bigger & heavier than the object balls for some coin tables. Then there was a time when the metal rod or the magnet itself was in the cue ball & some where even marked to indicate the direction in which the rod was laying so o help player make decisions regarding trying to use english.

Then there was a time when the CB was HUGE compared to the OB's.

Naturally they all co existed at various times so I am not speaking chronologically.

For someone like me that learned to control the CB with it being the same size & weight as the set, playing on coin tables was totally different as the same off center hit on the CB did not have the same effect.

So... one had to learn the various CBs. The huge one gave me the most difficulty & when it was prominent I bought one so that I cold play with it on my home table to get better acquainted with it.

I've not played on them, but I think Diamond going to some sort of a visual 'reader' is probably the best innovation for coin tables to ever happen.

That probably makes playing the game on them more like the "real" game than it ever has been for playing on a coin table.

Best 2 Ya.

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing on a bar box table with the oversize cue ball, is there an adjustment that needs to be made and if so what?
Wondering if the "A" and "C" points stay at 1/4 and 3/4 on the OB when using the bigger cue ball.

Big Ball to small ball- adjust the visuals to be slightly thinner @ about 1/8"
Pee Wee ball to larger ball- adjust the visuals to be slightly thicker @ about 1/8"

Stan Shuffett

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Big Ball to small ball- adjust the visuals to be slightly thinner @ about 1/8"
Pee Wee ball to larger ball- adjust the visuals to be slightly thicker @ about 1/8"

Stan Shuffett

Thanks Stan. Lots of the bars around here still have tables with the oversize cue balls. They are about 1/8" bigger than the other balls.
Most of these are Dynamo tables.