Question for the WPBA

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watching a stream and someone said that we couldn't watch Vivian play because she would get fined. Is this true?

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes it is in the papers they have to sign, WPBA owns all rights to its players, a bunch of crap

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you spanky,
How does this help pool in any way? We have people going out of their way to stream pool for people who love to watch pool and it has to stop for the ladies? Doesn't help the streamers. Doesn't help the ladies. It would be great to watch her play.
So again, how does this benefit pool? WPBA?

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
ok...so what I hear is we need a players union, just like other pro sports have. :D If an organization is being unfair to the players, they come together and determin a course of action to ensure fair treatment.

Its contacts like that, in the long run, that will keep a professional level caliber player, who wants to play outside of the "network" from playing on their tours.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has been an issue for a long time and yes it SUCKS

As soon as I hit the lotto I will make my own tour both women and men.
I think 300 million will keep it going for a while :thumbup:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the WPBA IS a player's union. The most important two things that the WPBA absolutely must own in order to continue to produce quality events for it's members are it's members loyalties and their media rights. Without either, you would be starting a new thread discussing the bankruptcy of the organization.

Live streaming is a benefit and a curse at the same time. The WPBA has a relationship with ESPN. That relationship is directly responsible for the amount of money the WPBA receives from sponsors. There are also issues with sponsors that may present a problem of independent live streaming of WPBA players. I'm sure there are exceptions, depending on the particular situation. I know that the WPBA does allow some live streaming. I don't know the specifics on how that works.

It's understandable that people want to be able to turn on their computers and watch Vivian and other players play, but in cases such as the WPBA, you have to understand that they are trying to keep a pro tour going for their players and it isn't easy, and most importantly, their tour players understand this.

Last edited:

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its unfortunate. I'm sure the WPBA will become bankrupt when fans dont want to support them because of issues like this. Streaming gets players names out there. Creates a fan base. We have watched SVB, Earl, Alex, ect all on streams. Nobody died because of it.
A great stream that had to be stopped for a half an hour because a professional woman was playing. I hope members of the WPBA dint enter tournaments that are beign streamed unless they are treated like the other players.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its unfortunate. I'm sure the WPBA will become bankrupt when fans dont want to support them because of issues like this. Streaming gets players names out there. Creates a fan base. We have watched SVB, Earl, Alex, ect all on streams. Nobody died because of it.
A great stream that had to be stopped for a half an hour because a professional woman was playing. I hope members of the WPBA dint enter tournaments that are beign streamed unless they are treated like the other players.

What is the average revenue increase players have received due to streaming? How have these streams affected tournament revenue? What is the most you've paid for live streaming of any pool event? Any sports event?

I know this is just your opinion but you've gotten a rather thorough answer from a former WPBA player/BCA Master Instructor and honestly, I don't think you've given it more than a few seconds of thought. Perhaps you might consider asking Fran Crimi a few more questions about ESPN coverage and how its impacted pool's "fan base". Maybe she can offer insight as to how ESPN coverage impacts revenue for the WPBA purse.

I'm not saying I know the answer to any of these things. I really don't. I'm just saying that you addressed this thread to the WPBA and actually got a legit response. You should consider this to be a great opportunity to get more information rather than offer shoot-from-the-hip criticism.