Question for those who wear glasses or contacts while playing

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My eyes are getting worse and I've tried to wear glasses while playing but I can't stand the frames cutting off my full plane of vision. I'm not going to go Kareem style either. I've also noticed glasses have affected my depth perception too. I play a good 30 or so hours a week so this hasn't been something I'm willing to compromise on.

I'm strongly considering getting contacts. I've never had them before. Can you tell you have them on? Do things look any different with them depth wise. Are they uncomfortable in a smoky invironment. I know thing will be clearer but has anyone not liked wearing contacts while playing. Thanks for any input.
 
I've worn them for many years so I can't tell when I wear them. The only trouble is, if you have dry eyes you may need to use eye drops. If they are properly cared for they are usually no trouble at all and I would far prefer them over glasses for playing pool.
 
I wear glasses, and it either makes my neck sore from having my cue on my chin or I have to shoot a little more upright. I have not tried contacts; I'm too scared of touching my eyes!

I have wondered if new glasses have wrecked my game in the past, but I have come to beleive that they are not the problem; there is probably another fundamental that is holding you back at the momment.
 
If it is an overly smoky or dry environment, you will hate contacts, as they end to dry out very quickly, and become clouded and scratchy. It is why I stayed with glasses...I just deal with them.

Lisa
 
I actually prefer wearing contacts when playing. I absolutely despise wearing my glasses and attempting to play pool. When I get down on a shot, I have to have my head almost straight in order to keep from looking over the rim of my glasses. It feels very awkward to me and then throws off my entire game.
Smoke does affect my contacts at times, especially when the smoke is right next to you and coming directly at my eyes. But I carry some Systane (rewetting drops) and that pretty much eliminates the dryness.
 
I will never wear glasses again. I hate having that obstruction while I play. I may need to carry eye drops then.
 
Bishop said:
My eyes are getting worse and I've tried to wear glasses while playing but I can't stand the frames cutting off my full plane of vision. I'm not going to go Kareem style either. I've also noticed glasses have affected my depth perception too. I play a good 30 or so hours a week so this hasn't been something I'm willing to compromise on.

I'm strongly considering getting contacts. I've never had them before. Can you tell you have them on? Do things look any different with them depth wise. Are they uncomfortable in a smoky invironment. I know thing will be clearer but has anyone not liked wearing contacts while playing. Thanks for any input.


Contact Lens comfort depends primarily on type of lens. I started with Rigid Gas Permiable Lenses (RGPs) which are hard-lenses best suited for correcting an astigmatism. Like glasses, you can always feel them but most of the time, you don't think about it. Now, I'm using soft-lenses that are also designed specifically for correcting astigmatism and they are far more comfortable. The only way I know they're on is if I can actually see or not. It is a very natural experience.

Depth perception is not affected at all. In fact, when you wear glasses, your eye is focusing on an image-correction that occurs an inch away from your eye. With contacts, the correction occurs on the eye so perception should be identical to someone with perfect vision.

Both hard and soft lenses will eventually yield dry-eyes. Even though RGPs are less prone to dryness caused by cigarette smoke, other elements in the air can cause extreme discomfort. Most lens discomfort experienced by soft-lens users is usually attributed to the lens age more than anything else. If the lenses are not new, cigarette smoke will be more bothersome.


Bottom line, I don't play without my contact lenses.
 
seymore15074 said:
I wear glasses, and it either makes my neck sore from having my cue on my chin or I have to shoot a little more upright. I have not tried contacts; I'm too scared of touching my eyes!

I was in the same boat - avoided contacts for YEARS because I was too squeamish to touch my eyeballs.

Little over a year ago, I figured I'd give it a try - and damn if I didn't get over that whole "eeeEEEeeee!" feeling REALLY quick. Now I can pop contacts in/out without any worries.

If that squeamishness is the only thing keeping you from trying contacts, get over it and go visit your eye doc. If your doc is like mine, he'll have an assistant do a little training session with you (for a fee, 'natch) on how to put'em in/take'em out, and let you take the lenses you train with home with you to use for a couple of weeks (about the average lifespan of disposables). If you like how things go, you can then order some lenses. If you don't, no big loss.

Nowadays I don't play without contacts either (unless it's just impromptu casual play with friends). I keep a spare bottle of solution and the little L/R contact lens holders in the car, and a spare pair of lenses in my case.
 
An eye injury about 11 years ago and subsequent surgery(s) have left me wearing glasses. Since then, I don't let anything into my eyes, contacts included. So for me, I had to learn to shoot with glasses or give up the sport I crave. The glasses won out. It took some getting used to and some extra practice, but I don't even know I have them on when I shoot anymore.

I am sure contacts are a better choice for shooting pool, but not for my situation.

Craig
 
ScottW said:
I was in the same boat - avoided contacts for YEARS because I was too squeamish to touch my eyeballs.

Little over a year ago, I figured I'd give it a try - and damn if I didn't get over that whole "eeeEEEeeee!" feeling REALLY quick. Now I can pop contacts in/out without any worries.

If that squeamishness is the only thing keeping you from trying contacts, get over it and go visit your eye doc. If your doc is like mine, he'll have an assistant do a little training session with you (for a fee, 'natch) on how to put'em in/take'em out, and let you take the lenses you train with home with you to use for a couple of weeks (about the average lifespan of disposables). If you like how things go, you can then order some lenses. If you don't, no big loss.

I am crying, I can hardly read this thread. :( I am terrified of the thought of this!

I went to an eye doctor about LASIK, and I have catatosis (very thin cornea) that means I am not a candadit for the surgery as of today. He said that sometime in the near future the technology will advance and the procedure will be available in my case... I was very disappointed, I saved up the money, and even went through all of the inhumanly torturous tests for nothing. :p The nurses/assistants were all working together to calm me and hold me still...what a nightmare! I'm such a baby when it comes to my eyes.

I would absolutely love to play pool and look up comfortably and clearing, though. The next time I am due for some new glasses, I'll talk to them at least. Thanks for the advice.
 
For me, I play better with contacts. I used to play with contacts on, but something happened and I'm forced to not wear them. I noticed that now, when I'm playing with glasses, I have a hard time visualising the "ball paths". I also noticed that there are a lot of shots wherein my shots are offline, as if what I see as the point of contact isn't really where it is. I'd aim for a certain spot, and then after shooting, the cue ball will hit a different spot, even though I was careful with my stroke (even in practice, so I have all the time in the world to aim and repeat)
 
when my allergies act up i have to wear my glasses.......when they arent i always shoot with my contacts on, just seems like i see better and can concentrate better. If i had my choice definitely id pick contacts, might go lasik one day.
 
seymore15074 said:
I am crying, I can hardly read this thread. :( I am terrified of the thought of this!

I would absolutely love to play pool and look up comfortably and clearing, though. The next time I am due for some new glasses, I'll talk to them at least. Thanks for the advice.

Get over it, cry baby! :D

Seriously - why wait? Make an appointment with your eye doc. At least then you'll know whether you can do contacts or not. And if so, you'll get over the weird feeling pretty quick. And regardless, one way or the other, at least you'll know what the score is as far as you and contacts go, and won't have that question looming over you any longer.
 
sky.. said:
not really. a box of 6 PIECES are about $30. A piece will last for around 1 month or so.

I imagine it depends on the manufacturer. My lenses are rated about two weeks of normal use. That said, I don't use mine as much - just for playing pool - so I can sometimes get three weeks out of each lens.

I use Acuvue Advance, and they're around $3 per lens when bought in semi-bulk. 1-800-contacts sometimes has a "buy a year's worth and get $40 rebate" deal going for lenses from certain makers - I did that this time. $140 (after rebate) for 48 lenses (8 boxes * 6 per box). $2.91 per.

I'm also lucky that both my eyes are the same - so I bought eight boxes of the same prescription instead of four boxes of one prescription and four of another. :D
 
sky.. said:
not really. a box of 6 PIECES are about $30. A piece will last for around 1 month or so.


That also depends on the lens brand/type. They recently developed a lens that is better suited for my astigmatism and my cost went from $25/box to $55/box. It's made me very conscious of the sink-drain, I'll tell you that.
 
contacts or specially made glasses will be better than your normal glasses. Normal glasses have a place about 40% above the bottom of each lense, or 10% below center vertical axis. This place is called the optical focus. Glasses are designed this way because most people who use them get thier information from sources like books, manuals etc., which are usually situated below eye level. If you're low on your stance and looking above mid level of your lenses you are not seeing 20/20. You could push you glasses higher on your nose if you like, but special glasses or contacts would let you see more clear.

Contacts do dry out, but I find that good eyedrops from time to time work well. If you have astigmatism in your eyes, you're going to probably need toric lenses, they are only clear when the lenses align properly. If they slide too much this will make your vision less clear, blinking normally will correct this. People who read and use thier computer or focus on things often tend to blink less when doing such activities, this will make lenses dryer too. As part of my preshot routine, I purposely blink before I get down on the cue.

If you don't need toric lenses, things will be easier. Also when wearing lenses, you're more likely to see 20/20 when you're as low as you can go. As for depth perception, when I come home, take of my contacts and put on my glasses, there is a noticeable depth difference. THis is because glasses are several millimeters from your eyes and this difference can change if you move your glasses around. Contact won't have this problem. All in all, if you keep your contacts from getting dry you're better off than using glasses for clarity.

For the first few weeks, you WILL notice you have them on. When you're busy and in dead stroke, you won't notice this as much. It'll take a few weeks to get used to them. But I think depth perception is better (at least more consistent with contacts) my $.02
 
seymore15074 said:
I wear glasses, and it either makes my neck sore from having my cue on my chin or I have to shoot a little more upright. I have not tried contacts; I'm too scared of touching my eyes!

I have wondered if new glasses have wrecked my game in the past, but I have come to beleive that they are not the problem; there is probably another fundamental that is holding you back at the momment.

Most people have a little trouble getting the lenses in and out the first few times. But you do get used to it pretty quickly. Now I can practically snatch my eyeball out, toss it around and put it back, it's no big deal (sorry, just kidding there)
 
I went from glasses to contacts several years ago and will not go back to playing pool with glasses. I agree with others that if the room is smokey or the air is very dry, the contacts will dry out and become irritable. Carry some eye drops. Also carry a spare set as they could pop out once dry.
They are about $20-$30 a box which usually contain 6 pair of contacts. It is recommended that you throw out a pair after wearing them for 2 weeks. But I know many people that wear a single pair for up to a month.
One important thing with soft contacts, do not sleep with them in. Bad bad bad habit I learned. Also try to balance your time between contacts and glasses on a daily basis. I wore my contacts too much each day and my eyes started to deform to the shape of the contact. They were taking on a cone'ing shape instead of natural roundness. Took me two years of not sleeping in them and balancing time of contacts/glasses to correct the matter.
I love contacts, but there are cautions I wanted to share.

ez
 
Back
Top