question re: shafts

rebelchris

rebelchris
Silver Member
i recently received my new erwin cue. i love the quality and look of the cue itself but i notice that its shaft does not seem as "slick" as my other cues. is this because it has not been used much yet? do shafts get more "slick" as they are used more? maybe its all in my head.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Slick. He comes in our poolroom about noon. He carries a small black cue case and inside is his Black Boar with one shaft. Slick sports a greased and combed back hair style like Arthur Fonzerelli and wears his leather jacket all year long. A single toothpick shows in the corner of his mouth. His age is 47. Slick always has a pocket full of $5 bills, just in case somebody wants to bet it up. Never raise your voice to Slick, or his eyes will give you that cold icy stare. Slick likes 9 Ball, but has to be finished by 4:30 when Mom comes to pick him up.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
i recently received my new erwin cue. i love the quality and look of the cue itself but i notice that its shaft does not seem as "slick" as my other cues. is this because it has not been used much yet? do shafts get more "slick" as they are used more? maybe its all in my head.

It's not just in your head. A lot of cue makers finish a cue and the butt is as perfect as they can get it, but they don't take the time to really put a super slick finish on the shafts. I've had new cues and the original shafts were so rough that I couldn't play with them.

I have a cue lathe and if you were close I'd fix your shafts for you at no charge and they'd be as smooth as glass. However you can get some 1500 grit sand paper and work it up and down by hand and do a pretty descent job your self.

Cut the 1500 grit sand paper into squares (app 4"x4") and rub the shaft in the stroking area up and down turning it while you are rubbing the fine sand paper with a light grip on the paper. You have to turn the shaft while you are rubbing it by hand to avoid creating flat spots with the sand paper. I'm not talking about sanding down your shaft, but just taking the rough very top layer down smooth.

Next, get a paper towel and fold it into a square about the size of the sand paper and rub it up and down like you did with the sand paper turning the shaft while you are rubbing it. This time apply more pressure than you did with the sand paper and what this does is remove fine dust created with the sand paper and also it starts to burnish the wood.

Repeat the step with the sand paper, but this time don't use a new piece of sand paper use the piece that you started with. It won't cut any wood since its been used before and it will do very little wood removal, it will actually help burnish the wood this time.

Repeat the step with a fresh paper towel folded like before. I like to use a heavy paper towel like Bounty and again put pressure on it when you rub up and down the shaft.

If you follow the steps above your shaft will feel great and it will get better and better as you break it in

I hope this helps........

James

rebelchris

rebelchris
Silver Member
thank you very much. that is very valuable information and i will carefully try what you suggested. and its funny, i once knew a guy named Slick at my local pool hall too. this guy was rather quiet, but i could almost never beat him. i am still envious of Slick's skills.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
SCCues is correct. There are two ways to finish shafts - clearcoat the entire shaft (which is what I think you want) or only clearcoat the first 3-4", and using only sealer on the rest of the shaft. I always ask my customers which way they would prefer, but that's just me.

The information you received about using 1500 grit paper is good. You can also use a piece of leather, a piece of brown paper, or even a dollar bill to burnish the shaft by rubbing the shaft up and down. Grip the leather firmly enough and rub fast enough to generate some warmth. This will result in a nice slick finish for you as well.

My 2 cents,

Gary

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the shaft wasn't properly sanded before shipping to you. no amount of 1500 grit will ever get the job done right. A properly sanded shaft is one that you car wet with a paper towel, then after it dries off you won't have any reason to do anything else to the shaft but smile and play pool.. It will be perfectly slick and smooth.
If it isn't like this, you will probably have to start with fresh 600 grit and progress.