Questions about switching to carbon fiber

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I largely agree those might be seen as benefits to some. 👍 But none are really playability benefits. I get that some Pro's may like them as well as some beginners but what is a beginner comparing it to? The Pro likes it for the radial consistency? I thought they could run 400 balls with a broom stick. :ROFLMAO:

I am simply saying the pool world AT-LARGE, from a playing perspective, especially new players, probably only benefit from the cool, latest and greatest factor. And apparently, they can leave them in their trunks weeks at a time in Texas. A huge benefit.

Personally I would encourage any new players to begin with a good maple shaft. I think the feel of wood teaches more and if you want to move to CF in time after you actually know how to stroke, feel free. I don't have anything against them, I'll just never buy one. Just like I don't need a glove.
Pro's get them free. They're just walking/talking ad campaigns. They can run out with a $50 pos chinese cue. Does SVB play any better with his Cynergy than his old R360? No. First time i saw him play he was 18 and using a stiff-as-hell Schon. He played perfect with it.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For any scientific data and experiment to be measured you must reduce the human interaction as much as possible, in my opinion especially with billiards stroke. If you want to measure the data of the comparison for shafts and energy transfer; a machine must be used. I don't care if you think you can stroke the same way and same speed. It is just impossible nobody can do that.

I always find it funny when people compare deflection of shafts by using their own stroke and putting some type of a ruler, I am sorry but that doesn't work. If people can invest in developing an engineering robot that does the stroking, then it is hard to come to a conclusion.

I know Bob Meucci made a bot that shoots, with that machine you can measure deflection and also can measure energy transfer all you want, as long as you don't have a human arm involved in the stroking process, but some people don't believe Bob. So my question is how about you design your own robot? Why is it hard to design a robot that strokes the cueball with a certain set of speed, i.e. you can put a variable of speed then maybe manipulate that value, then we can talk about experiments.

I know the physics models suggest the energy transfer might be more. But I can’t tell if it’s significant. Is it to the point where the same stroke will draw the ball half a table further between one shaft and another or is the math really going to show we are talking the difference of an inch. I don’t trust the anecdotal claims of people because I find most people have an inconsistent execution.

Personally I’d like to see a mixture of drop tests looking for the efficiency ratios of various shafts rather the the efficiency of tips.

But I would also like to see robot tests too. Just to put it in context of hitting a ball and measuring the difference in how far a ball travels. See if the drop test ratios correlate to the ball travel distances.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
IMO the feel of wood teaches the player how the shaft reacts in a variety of shots, strokes and situations. More so than CF.
Do you mean how the shaft feels when you get the CB action you want? Like the feel of a good draw stroke, for instance, or the feel of a certain amount of side spin?

pj
chgo

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
poor guy...Grobbs had no idea of the firestorm he was unleashing with that innocent cue question opening post. Worry not...and welcome to AZB! :ROFLMAO:

RacerX750

Registered
I recently got more into pool again. Bought a table a few months ago and a decent cue (McDermott G331).

The cue came with a wood (G Core) shaft, 13mm. This week I decided to get a carbon fiber, McDermotts Defy shaft. However, PoolDogz only had 12mm Defy shafts in stock. I bought it anyway as the lady explained I can easily return it if I don't like it.

It arrived today. I played for an hour, and I'm now miscueing a lot! And also missing a lot of balls as well!

So my question is, is it just an adjustment period getting use to carbon fiber? Or maybe the fact that its a 12mm compared to the 13mm I'm use to? Or something else? I'm considering returning it and sticking with wood at this point, but I do love the look and feel of the carbon fiber.

Any help/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks
I went from an 11.75mm low deflection wood shaft to a 12.4 Cuetec carbon. While there was an adjustment period of a few weeks it was for only when using english. Accuracy was still up to me on straight shots so no difference there. I did find it easier to get more draw and follow because the hit had more feel.