Questions about switching to carbon fiber

grobbs

Greg R
Because normal people have this idea in their dumb heads, they cn be a great player at some game if they just have this magic pill, chalk, or golf club.

Skill is learned, not sold on Amazon, if it was everyone would be great.
I agree with that. I just wanted a good cue to start out with. Didn't expect to make me a pro with the first shot I took... but have a good starting point for getting more seriously back into the game

I appreciate the feedback!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I agree with that. I just wanted a good cue to start out with. Didn't expect to make me a pro with the first shot I took... but have a good starting point for getting more seriously back into the game

Nothing wrong with buying good equipment to begin with. Might even be good economy if you realize that you are the reason for the misses, not the equipment...then continue to work on your game...realizing a new whatever won't possibly help you when table time will.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Many years ago we had a guy winning every big tournament in Arizona.

His Cue McDermott Merry Widow, Tip was Lepro.

Skill is what guy had, Cue was just tool.

I could have best set of Nuro Surgeons Instruments, but you do not want me cutting on you.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi played OK without Carbon Shaft.

Willies had skill, did not need new dangled gadgets.
Many years ago we had a guy winning every big tournament in Arizona.

His Cue McDermott Merry Widow, Tip was Lepro.

Skill is what guy had, Cue was just tool.

I could have best set of Nuro Surgeons Instruments, but you do not want me cutting on you.
I'm sorry buddy but it's 2021 now. Have you seen a jump cue before? Equipment has changed and in many instances, improved. When it comes to carbon fiber, just the fact that it doesn't age is music to the ears of many amateur players.

I ride a carbon fiber bike. It's the same bike frame Giant used for the 2003 Tour de France. I shaved off a few minutes on my 20 mile rides from when I used an aluminum frame. I'm still not about to win the Tour de France but I can afford great equipment and I get to enjoy it. The *exact same thing* can be said about pool players. Nobody is under the illusion that their carbon fiber cue is going to win them the US Open 9ball but it's comforting, even exciting, to know that your equipment is the best ever designed. It's an experience. And if it gives players an edge, even a mental edge, it's an edge they can afford. And in theory, they won't ever have to buy another shaft again.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well if you already great at any sport, then the latest & greatest equipment will elevate your performance.

Speaking of Bicycles I ride an old Specialized Carbon Fibre Epic, with old 600 Ultregra 8 Speed.

Works fine, and is all I need. If I could build a New Bicycle from scratch, for recreational riding.

I would choose Old School Steel, with Lugged Frame & Fork. Reason friendly ride quality. Groupo would be a hard choice.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you already great at any sport, then the latest & greatest equipment will elevate your performance.

Speaking of Bicycles I ride an old Specialized Carbon Fibre Epic, with old 600 Ultregra 8 Speed.

Works fine, and is all I need. If I could build a New Bicycle from scratch, for recreational riding.

I would choose Old School Steel, with Lugged Frame & Fork. Reason friendly ride quality. Groupo would be a hard choice.
That's a great bike. Mine has the 105 groupset, so you're a notch up from me. But, I think you can appreciate what I'm talking about. Part of my motivation for getting my bike was, I wanted the ultimate cycling experience within my budget. Cues are the same way. Most pros and high caliber amateurs are making the switch to carbon fiber. Can SVB beat me with a wood cue? Absolutely. He could win the US Open with it. But he uses CF so a lot of players out there are going to copy him. What's more, and this is my other big point, the durability of CF over wood makes it a practical decision, even for novice & intermediate players.

I bought my bike because I wanted something better and I could afford it. I don't think amateur players should be criticized for making a nearly identical decision about cues.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd like to add, when a new player asks me which cue they should buy, I tell them to make a low budget decision. In today's world, assuming the person was making average income, that would mean keeping it under $200 or look to buy something used.

If money isn't an issue and the person has decided pool is something they're going to do for years to come, I tell them to get whatever their heart desires. I recently recommended an APA s/l 4 to buy the exact same cue the OP mentions, the Cuetec Cynergy, because his office gifted him a $1000 gift certificate at a billiard store. The Cynergy + a new case fell right within his budget and I told him, "You'll never need to buy another cue again." He loves his cue and plays more than he did before. I see it as a win for him and a win for our industry.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well if I ever had the money to purchase the ultimate bicycle I would go for a Tommisini, and Record Group.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read MikeMosconi's post again... Those selling equipment hate the theory, but it really helps your game to simply find a good cue with a shaft you like and practice-practice-practice with perhaps a bit of tip experimentation as they need replacement.

One reason I like watching old tournament videos is noting how well these guys played using a triangle rack and old fashioned shafts made of solid maple... To listen to the equipment hype of today, guys like Efren, Grady, Nick, Earl? They shouldn't have been able to run 3 balls, let alone rack after rack. But there they are....on low quality tape...doing just that!
Great Post! It's not the cue, it's what you do with it. Practice is everything. If you have gone from maple to carbon fibre. And you just back into the game. Safe to say, it's going to take a while Pick one cue, and put on a decent tip you like and stick with it.and practice!! the type of shaft doesn't matter you will get used to it in time.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
As I said earlier, nothing wrong with buying good equipment regardless of your playing ability level. Hell, I shoot with a fairly $pendy Josey, and the good local players certainly have no worries that I'll beat them. It's standard maple shafts work fine for me, but I have changed tips. Table time, productive table time with instruction help and practice, is the only way I know to improve your game.

One thing I don't understand is the attitude that a player doesn't "deserve" top level equipment unless he or she plays at a near pro level.

That happened to me once...a guy at a nearby table snidely said; "Gee, I wish I played good enough to deserve a custom cue." He knew he played better than me, but just had to be nasty about it.

Sheesh! I just replied; "Sure you deserve it, if you want it. All you have to do is write the check."

Ferrari wouldn't sell many road cars if they only sold them to top level racers...

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said earlier, nothing wrong with buying good equipment regardless of your playing ability level. Hell, I shoot with a fairly $pendy Josey, and the good local players certainly have no worries that I'll beat them. It's standard maple shafts work fine for me, but I have changed tips. Table time, productive table time with instruction help and practice, is the only way I know to improve your game.

One thing I don't understand is the attitude that a player doesn't "deserve" top level equipment unless he or she plays at a near pro level.

That happened to me once...a guy at a nearby table snidely said; "Gee, I wish I played good enough to deserve a custom cue." He knew he played better than me, but just had to be nasty about it.

Sheesh! I just replied; "Sure you deserve it, if you want it. All you have to do is write the check."

Ferrari wouldn't sell many road cars if they only sold them to top level racers...
I'm literally in the process of getting a new cue right now. I'm not into custom cues. I prefer simple aesthetics and I like the idea of treating a cue as sports equipment. The way I see it, everyone falls in love with our sport for different reasons and all of those reasons are valid. And the truth is, purchasing equipment keeps our industry afloat so enjoy yourself. As well, if it makes you play more, even better.

My relatable story is, I go to the gym several times a week. I'm not a big guy. I like wearing weight lifting gloves, mostly because I don't want to callus my hands (I *am* a pool player) but I also prefer the feel, and if it offers another layer of protection from covid germs, even better. I know there are probably some guys at the gym who bench twice as much as me who think I'm overdoing it. I don't give a shit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because normal people have this idea in their dumb heads, they cn be a great player at some game if they just have this magic pill, chalk, or golf club.

Skill is learned, not sold on Amazon, if it was everyone would be great.

I don't think people think they will be great, but possibly better. And that is a fact, better equipment can easily help someone do something better, often faster than more/different practice in the same span of time. Otherwise the people training for the Olympics would not have universities and companies doing research into equipment being used like building better bikes, shoes, skiis, etc...

The issue that most people ignore a lot of factors when saying "it's not the arrow, blah blah blah". A bad player with good equipment is not likely to beat a good player with average equipment. But given two equally skilled opponents, the one with the better equipment is a lot more likely to win. The best racecar driver in the world in a 1930s race car won't beat an average guy in a 2020 Corvette, it won't even be close. It's not all skill.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I don't think people think they will be great, but possibly better. And that is a fact, better equipment can easily help someone do something better, often faster than more/different practice in the same span of time. Otherwise the people training for the Olympics would not have universities and companies doing research into equipment being used like building better bikes, shoes, skiis, etc...

The issue that most people ignore a lot of factors when saying "it's not the arrow, blah blah blah". A bad player with good equipment is not likely to beat a good player with average equipment. But given two equally skilled opponents, the one with the better equipment is a lot more likely to win. The best racecar driver in the world in a 1930s race car won't beat an average guy in a 2020 Corvette, it won't even be close. It's not all skill.

Your point is valid if both player have equally ability. Personally I would take Willie Mosconi Skill, over my present skill and Moscini's Cue.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you need to attain a certain level of proficiency before better equipment can improve your game. If you tried maple and carbon and you still can't play you probably need more time at the table or your eyes checked or an adjustment to your stance or a combination of things.

I've never tried carbon but I suspect it plays a lot different from maple and you need to give it more time for your brain to adjust - and you need to figure out which one you like and stay with it. Switching back and forth just will make you more frustrated and confused.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Comparing the developement of race cars to cues is a case of apple-to-oranges. A better cue won't make you play better.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Comparing the developement of race cars to cues is a case of apple-to-oranges. A better cue won't make you play better.

I tend to agree with this. Pool may well be the game among games using equipment that the equipment matters the least in.

MurrayNevada

But if you never played before, and were just beginning your journey, which would you start with if you were to be gifted your choice of either?