Rackers Hall of Fame

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Who would you rate as the greatest racker of all time? Also who would be in your top 5? What I mean is who was/is the best at racking to maximize their chances at making balls on the break or to keep their opponent from making any balls? Who has been the best at working around rules designed to limit the impact of the break?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oklahoma greats Fat Randy Wallace and James Walden belong in the 'RHOF'. Absolute magicians at making the balls do what they wanted. Gamesmanship? Cheating? Take ur pick. As Randy used to say, "We ain't in church boys". ;)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tucker is the rack master!
I once asked for racking advice and everyone mentioned his name. I definitely have digested his content and contributions. But I remember my original question was actually about racking. Like I knew I was terrible at giving myself a tight rack. I knew the best players I’ve met were fantastic at giving themselves a tight rack. And I was hoping to learn the physical technique of racking the balls as tight as possible. I have learned some tricks since then but it really is an art very few discuss.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
playing one pocket its important.
in nine ball unless you are a run out player the break isn't much of, if any, advantage.

Reactions: bbb

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once asked for racking advice and everyone mentioned his name. I definitely have digested his content and contributions. But I remember my original question was actually about racking. Like I knew I was terrible at giving myself a tight rack. I knew the best players I’ve met were fantastic at giving themselves a tight rack. And I was hoping to learn the physical technique of racking the balls as tight as possible. I have learned some tricks since then but it really is an art very few discuss.

Joe is from where I’m originally from and he is super knowledgeable about the rack. I remember pros flying Joe out for the weekend before big tournaments to try and learn his secrets. This was before the dvd’s became popular. I learned a lot from Joe Tucker and will always be grateful to call him a friend.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Joe is from where I’m originally from and he is super knowledgeable about the rack. I remember pros flying Joe out for the weekend before big tournaments to try and learn his secrets. This was before the dvd’s became popular. I learned a lot from Joe Tucker and will always be grateful to call him a friend.
Is his content still available?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
What I don't understand is that in a lot of pool halls they let the spot degenerate into a pock marked crater filled mess. To the point all the black pigment is gone. You can get a box of 144 on amazon for $27. I just cant understand a pool hall that does this. Worse are the "champion" spots that are made of paper and are ruined after a dozen games.

I struggled like hell trying to get a tight rack today at a large well known pool hall in rack your own 9 ball today. Get a tight rack with the nice diamond rack and take it off, the 1B rolls forward half a millimeter. Move the rack up, now the second ball slides to the right. Move it over and shake it, now the second row separates. This crap is frustrating. Worn break areas aren't a huge deal, I get it cloth is expensive and you have yahoos abusing it and tapping balls that don't know what they are doing. But a spot... even bought by the 2 dozen is only 47 cents!

I bring 2 tins of tefcos in my bag at all times. In a league match if the other team agrees and if the owner is okay with it I'll replace them myself. Basically I let them know I can't guarantee a fair and tight rack with the junk spot that's on there. Most are ok with it. I see these as a consumable item that should be replaced every month or two if they get enough play. I'm not expecting perfection "out in the wild" but dang is this one area that is easy to improve.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trickrackery title belongs to Dennis Orcollo. He previously won the gold medal in rack manipulation and ball placement for identical patterns.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey duell

they showed a clip where corey, svb, billy were practicing for the US open 8b at separate tables. corey said watch this, nominated 3 balls and holes, shot the 2nd ball break and made them. last year in the US open 10b (iirc), he was breaking with the mechanical bridge..

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I racked every rack for Jayson Shaws World Record 714 High Run. All 51 in a row. lol

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What I don't understand is that in a lot of pool halls they let the spot degenerate into a pock marked crater filled mess. To the point all the black pigment is gone. You can get a box of 144 on amazon for $27. I just cant understand a pool hall that does this. Worse are the "champion" spots that are made of paper and are ruined after a dozen games.

I struggled like hell trying to get a tight rack today at a large well known pool hall in rack your own 9 ball today. Get a tight rack with the nice diamond rack and take it off, the 1B rolls forward half a millimeter. Move the rack up, now the second ball slides to the right. Move it over and shake it, now the second row separates. This crap is frustrating. Worn break areas aren't a huge deal, I get it cloth is expensive and you have yahoos abusing it and tapping balls that don't know what they are doing. But a spot... even bought by the 2 dozen is only 47 cents!

I bring 2 tins of tefcos in my bag at all times. In a league match if the other team agrees and if the owner is okay with it I'll replace them myself. Basically I let them know I can't guarantee a fair and tight rack with the junk spot that's on there. Most are ok with it. I see these as a consumable item that should be replaced every month or two if they get enough play. I'm not expecting perfection "out in the wild" but dang is this one area that is easy to improve.
I hate the spots so much! On my table I just make a tiny dot with a sharpie. That's all you need!

soyale

I hate the spots so much! On my table I just make a tiny dot with a sharpie. That's all you need!
i don’t like spots either, i blame those diamond plastic racks more than the spot. you can push all the balls up in the rack and they still won’t be touching.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
i don’t like spots either, i blame those diamond plastic racks more than the spot. you can push all the balls up in the rack and they still won’t be touching.
It's either that or they're too tight and when you push the rack forward, it pinches the 1-ball and pulls it off the spot. Sometimes if you flip them over, they work better. I get to league early so I can find one that's the right shape and bring it to my table.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always had trouble racking. Lifting the rack off the balls was too tricky.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Archer deserves a mention in this one. He always seemed to be able to keep any opponent from making a ball.

I saw McCready offer him the seven with a neutral racker, and Johnny wouldn’t take it, nor would Keith adjust the spot any other way. This was around ‘89 at the Wagon Wheel in Atlanta.

Me and a friend watched him all time to try and figure out his secret.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Archer deserves a mention in this one. He always seemed to be able to keep any opponent from making a ball.

I saw McCready offer him the seven with a neutral racker, and Johnny wouldn’t take it, nor would Keith adjust the spot any other way. This was around ‘89 at the Wagon Wheel in Atlanta.

Me and a friend watched him all time to try and figure out his secret.
What i hated about watchin JA was his 'gardening' as i called it. He was constantly picking up lint, even lint that wasn't there.