Racking Template material

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to experiment with some ideas (not for racking) and am intrigued by the super thin, strong, and durable material. What material are racking templates made out of? Is it something you can buy in small sheets (like 1'x2')? Where would I find some for purchase in really small quantities?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve made different shape targets in various sizes out of plastic machinist shim stock. The size I use is .004” thick and is easily cut with home razor tools if that’s all you had access to. I’ve found the .003” tears and creases like paper faster. I haven’t measured my bought magic rack for thickness but it’s noticeably thicker (I’m guessing .006-.008 range) if your looking for material try an industrial supply store like McMaster Carr online and what you’re looking for is shim stock.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to experiment with some ideas (not for racking) and am intrigued by the super thin, strong, and durable material. What material are racking templates made out of? Is it something you can buy in small sheets (like 1'x2')? Where would I find some for purchase in really small quantities?

I'd think tyvek is going to be the best thin/ durable/ flexible combo. It is used often for envelopes.

Carbon fiber too, but I dont know if that is too expensive. No idea where you'd get that, raw.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Check out mylar. You can find it in small sheets or large rolls over various sizes. Amazon sells it as well as many other vendors.

It's basically durable plastic paper. Stencils are made out of mylar and surveyor's use mylar for property plats that need to last hundreds of years.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve made different shape targets in various sizes out of plastic machinist shim stock. The size I use is .004” thick and is easily cut with home razor tools if that’s all you had access to. I’ve found the .003” tears and creases like paper faster. I haven’t measured my bought magic rack for thickness but it’s noticeably thicker (I’m guessing .006-.008 range) if your looking for material try an industrial supply store like McMaster Carr online and what you’re looking for is shim stock.
Magic Rack is .14mm(.006) thick according to their site. Good guess. ;)