Rags to Riches, Buddy's book. Question

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I have a copy of the book, and I don't want to rake anyone over the coals, but wonder what is a fair price.
Has it gone down in value?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing them for around $200.

But really, $100, $200, $300. It's all the same. Way more than a paperback is normally, but affordable if your mind is set up to own a copy.

Is it worth it? Obviously that is relative. But in my opinion it is definitely worth it. Rags to Riches tells an amazing story. One is the biography of one of the best pool players of all time. But the other is a rare window into the world of road players in the 60s and 70s.

I've read Playing Off the Rail many, many times. And Mosconi's Autobiography. And Jay's Pool Wars. And Basavich's Running the Table. And McGoorty's story, and the stuff by Bob Byrne, and Jersey Red's biography, and quite a few others I'm failing to recall at the moment. I enjoyed them all, but in my mind Rags to Riches is in a class of it's own.

The world was different in the 60s and 70s. Between the straight pool championships of the 30s-50s and the modern era that is absolutely unique in pool history. Gas, hotels, and food were inexpensive. Pool was booming post the release of the Hustler. The economy was thriving. The result was that there were money games that welcomed all comers in nearly every bar in every town across the country. The results were inevitable, and quickly an ecosystem emerged in which money flowed up through the hands of the locals, was gradually collected by the short stops, then was passed on to the road players who combed across the country. They in turn felt that the money grew on trees so they'd grow bored and steer into bigger towns to fire at higher level name players. It was one long part on the road enjoying all that the 60s had to offer, with a never ending stream of money flowing in to sponsor the event. This made for some incredible stories and experiences. And watching Buddy's maturity with both his game and his outlooks on his life's purpose were at the center of everything.

So I vote well worth it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I remember seeing them for around $200.

But really, $100, $200, $300. It's all the same. Way more than a paperback is normally, but affordable if your mind is set up to own a copy.

Is it worth it? Obviously that is relative. But in my opinion it is definitely worth it. Rags to Riches tells an amazing story. One is the biography of one of the best pool players of all time. But the other is a rare window into the world of road players in the 60s and 70s.

I've read Playing Off the Rail many, many times. And Mosconi's Autobiography. And Jay's Pool Wars. And Basavich's Running the Table. And McGoorty's story, and the stuff by Bob Byrne, and Jersey Red's biography, and quite a few others I'm failing to recall at the moment. I enjoyed them all, but in my mind Rags to Riches is in a class of it's own.

The world was different in the 60s and 70s. Between the straight pool championships of the 30s-50s and the modern era that is absolutely unique in pool history. Gas, hotels, and food were inexpensive. Pool was booming post the release of the Hustler. The economy was thriving. The result was that there were money games that welcomed all comers in nearly every bar in every town across the country. The results were inevitable, and quickly an ecosystem emerged in which money flowed up through the hands of the locals, was gradually collected by the short stops, then was passed on to the road players who combed across the country. They in turn felt that the money grew on trees so they'd grow bored and steer into bigger towns to fire at higher level name players. It was one long part on the road enjoying all that the 60s had to offer, with a never ending stream of money flowing in to sponsor the event. This made for some incredible stories and experiences. And watching Buddy's maturity with both his game and his outlooks on his life's purpose were at the center of everything.

So I vote well worth it.
I never thought of it before….I guess that’s why I’m not giving up my copy.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
It's called "Rags to Rifleman, then what?"

Many years ago, I remember seeing a completed Ebay listing for around $320 for that book. Good book, but I don't think it's good enough for your average fan to pay anywhere near that to read.

I would think a serious pool fan would find it worth it to get one for $150 or less and read it. You could always get most of your money back later.

MTfish

Registered
I really hope they can reprint it or at least do it in an Ebook format so it's more accessible. Maybe Buddy could make some money off of it that way, too.