Rail cushion or Rail design wrong

whittle

I was refinishing a used table and the cushions were loose. I removed them and set aside while painting the table. I don't think they could change shape while sitting loose but the reason I mention this is that they don't seem to fit correctly. The angle is off or different than the angle on the lower side of the cushion. This will create a gap between the cloth and the cushion which altho not a table mechanic I'm quite sure this is wrong. Unless hearing different back from you guys my plan is to us a belt sander and shape the rail to match the angle of the cushion. I will attempt to attach a picture that I hope will show what I'm talking about. When laying a straight edge along the lower side of the cushion I will need to remove about 1/8" of material. Hopefully the pencil line will show up.
Will try and post photo later, pics from Iphone not wanting to load

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was refinishing a used table and the cushions were loose. I removed them and set aside while painting the table. I don't think they could change shape while sitting loose but the reason I mention this is that they don't seem to fit correctly. The angle is off or different than the angle on the lower side of the cushion. This will create a gap between the cloth and the cushion which altho not a table mechanic I'm quite sure this is wrong. Unless hearing different back from you guys my plan is to us a belt sander and shape the rail to match the angle of the cushion. I will attempt to attach a picture that I hope will show what I'm talking about. When laying a straight edge along the lower side of the cushion I will need to remove about 1/8" of material. Hopefully the pencil line will show up.
Will try and post photo later, pics from Iphone not wanting to load
Table and cushion profile would help. It may be best to hire someone with the knowledge to do the job properly. There are so many pitfalls in what you are proposing to do. Once you remove cushions, that it. You can't re-apply them.

whittle

Not sure why you can't reapply. The cushions are still in good shape and rebound well. Here are the pictures I couldn't post earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 59

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not sure why you can't reapply. The cushions are still in good shape and rebound well. Here are the pictures I couldn't post earlier.
There's nothing wrong with that. The cloth isn't supposed to sit flat against the bottom of the cushion if that's what you're thinking. With a slight air gap between the very bottom edge of the cushion and the cloth, you won't have cushion line showing through the cloth.

whittle

That is what I was thinking. Fortunately before hearing back from you I took them to a shop about 50 miles away and they said the same thing you did. Saved me from messing up and cutting these down. From videos I watched it looked like the cloth was fitting tight against the cushion. Thanks for your reply.
Maybe I should start another thread, but I'm going to post here my pocket opening and if you think I should narrow it up now or play like it is for awhile and then alter. Will add a picture but they ended up at 4-3/4 corner pocket. Would you recommend thicker end cushions or should I glue a wood spacer on the end of the rails and use the 1/8" cushions?

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 18

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
That is what I was thinking. Fortunately before hearing back from you I took them to a shop about 50 miles away and they said the same thing you did. Saved me from messing up and cutting these down. From videos I watched it looked like the cloth was fitting tight against the cushion. Thanks for your reply.
Maybe I should start another thread, but I'm going to post here my pocket opening and if you think I should narrow it up now or play like it is for awhile and then alter. Will add a picture but they ended up at 4-3/4 corner pocket. Would you recommend thicker end cushions or should I glue a wood spacer on the end of the rails and use the 1/8" cushions?
The correct way is a subrail extension and not by using super thick facings.

This is how I did it. It's not "correct" but the table plays good and it was something that I could do. I go into it in the thread but the other issue I had was the facing cuts were not consistent. I forget exactly but it's like all the right cuts were at a certain angle and all the left cuts were 2 or 3 degrees different. Like the guy running the saw at the factory didn't set it up correctly.

Basically I had a nice furniture grade table but it wasn't worth the expense and effort of doing subrail extensions, especially considering they cut the rails wrong from the factory.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket size is entirely up to you and your level of play.

You should ditch the polyester resin ball set and get a quality phenolic set.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm thinking by looking at the sub rail pictures you posted, your rails are built out of Fir, laminated together, 1 1/2" thick, using T-nuts inserted between the top, and lower boards before they were laminated together to create the anchor points to bolt the rails down to the slate. I'm also thinking that if you can't run a 100 balls playing 14.1 on that table, tighter pockets won't help your game improve, but more practice will. If you CAN run a 100+ then I'm thinking instead of tightening the pockets, you'd be better off selling that cheap table, and replacing it with a real commercial 9ft, one that investing some money in is not a bad thing.

whittle

You should ditch the polyester resin ball set and get a quality phenolic se
These balls came with the table. I don't know the difference but evidently its not that hard if you can tell by the picture what they are. What can you expect to spend on a good set of phenolic balls? I see some for upwards of $400. Can you suggest a brand or a price range I should look for?
What is the playability difference between the polyester and phenolic?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These balls came with the table. I don't know the difference but evidently its not that hard if you can tell by the picture what they are. What can you expect to spend on a good set of phenolic balls? I see some for upwards of $400. Can you suggest a brand or a price range I should look for?
What is the playability difference between the polyester and phenolic?
Dynaspheres Bronze.

whittle

I'm thinking by looking at the sub rail pictures you posted, your rails are built out of Fir, laminated together, 1 1/2" thick, using T-nuts inserted between the top, and lower boards before they were laminated together to create the anchor points to bolt the rails down to the slate. I'm also thinking that if you can't run a 100 balls playing 14.1 on that table, tighter pockets won't help your game improve, but more practice will. If you CAN run a 100+ then I'm thinking instead of tightening the pockets, you'd be better off selling that cheap table, and replacing it with a real commercial 9ft, one that investing some money in is not a bad thing.
I will look into that when I get ready to move this table into its permanent location, currently it’s in my shop. My skill level is a 2 or 3 so I think this will be a good table to learn on. I make cabinets an originally thought about building somewhat of a rustic look table and using this slate. I have a sawmill and kiln so I could quarter saw white oak for all the support framing.

whittle

Thanks couldn’t find a bronze set but just ordered the silver set. Great reviews looking forward to see the difference between these and the ones I have.

Dynaspheres Bronze.
Just received the Dynasphere silver balls they look great but didn't magically improve my game:p. They have a little of a yellowish hue on the striped balls doesn't bother me but may for some. I find pool a lot like Golf super frustrating when learning, some days you seem to be able to see the shot and make a good stroke and others its like you had never played. The other similarity with golf is after taking a lesson or watching video's you go backwards for awhile when trying to implement a new swing. TOO much thinking.
That's what I'm going thru now after watching video's on applying English and getting shape. Now I'm missing what should be easy and a shot I used to make pretty regularly.
I know I'm not contacting the cue ball consistently where I'm aiming so I ordered a practice ball. This was before you educated me on polyester vs phenolic. The practice QB is probably polyester. I just received it, do you think I should return it and order one that is phenolic.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 15

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received the Dynasphere silver balls they look great but didn't magically improve my game:p. They have a little of a yellowish hue on the striped balls doesn't bother me but may for some. I find pool a lot like Golf super frustrating when learning, some days you seem to be able to see the shot and make a good stroke and others its like you had never played. The other similarity with golf is after taking a lesson or watching video's you go backwards for awhile when trying to implement a new swing. TOO much thinking.
That's what I'm going thru now after watching video's on applying English and getting shape. Now I'm missing what should be easy and a shot I used to make pretty regularly.
I know I'm not contacting the cue ball consistently where I'm aiming so I ordered a practice ball. This was before you educated me on polyester vs phenolic. The practice QB is probably polyester. I just received it, do you think I should return it and order one that is phenolic.
Pool is a frustrating game for sure! Keep at it!

I'd return what you got and order a Jim Rempe Practice Ball. You may find it cheaper elsewhere, but here it is on Amazon.

whittle

Pool is a frustrating game for sure! Keep at it!

I'd return what you got and order a Jim Rempe Practice Ball. You may find it cheaper elsewhere, but here it is on Amazon.
I ordered the Jim Rempe ball today. I've got one more question. Now that I have the new Dynasphere balls how should I care for them? If playing daily do you leave them in the pockets or on the table? Do you put them back in the box each day?
I want to thank everyone for all the great reply's.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the Jim Rempe ball today. I've got one more question. Now that I have the new Dynasphere balls how should I care for them? If playing daily do you leave them in the pockets or on the table? Do you put them back in the box each day?
I want to thank everyone for all the great reply's.
Pockets are fine. You should look into getting a ball cleaning machine.