Ranking Question

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is currently a thread titled "Sandbagging thief" or something similar in the Canadian Pool section of the forums, which prompted me to start this thread.

I am considering playing in a tournament which has 4 divisions, they are listed as B,A,AA, and Masters. The BCA league in which I play is ranked completely differently. There are 8 divisions and I play in the third or fourth from the top.

I hadn't played league in about 8 years and when I started this season I joined a division that was 2 levels higher than the last time I played, thinking I should fit in well. However, my individual stats put me in first by a healthy margin, so I asked my league operator which division I should enter in this upcoming tourney. He told me that I should enter as an A based on the league division in which I play.

My concern is that if I do well and win easily, people might get ticked off that I played in that division. I would rather play in the proper division and have to earn a win the hard way. Trouble is, I honestly dont know what the proper division would be, and the last thing I want is to be labled a sandbagger type. What would you all suggest?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
There is currently a thread titled "Sandbagging thief" or something similar in the Canadian Pool section of the forums, which prompted me to start this thread.

I am considering playing in a tournament which has 4 divisions, they are listed as B,A,AA, and Masters. The BCA league in which I play is ranked completely differently. There are 8 divisions and I play in the third or fourth from the top.

I hadn't played league in about 8 years and when I started this season I joined a division that was 2 levels higher than the last time I played, thinking I should fit in well. However, my individual stats put me in first by a healthy margin, so I asked my league operator which division I should enter in this upcoming tourney. He told me that I should enter as an A based on the league division in which I play.

My concern is that if I do well and win easily, people might get ticked off that I played in that division. I would rather play in the proper division and have to earn a win the hard way. Trouble is, I honestly dont know what the proper division would be, and the last thing I want is to be labled a sandbagger type. What would you all suggest?

well obviously if your asking the league director which you should play in and he told you which one, then you should be good. If you beat everyone so be it....its not like you have a stamp on your head thats government calibrated to tell you how your speed compares to others that you don't know. Just like a 9 here might only be a 7 somewhere else.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. Just that the league operator here is not involved in any way with this tourney I'm talking about. In fact I live in Canda and this tourney is in MN. Thats why I just want to make sure I'm in the right division.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
just stay honest...you've already shown that your not trying to stage a mission. Just talk to the director...I'm sure you'll be fine.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I played in that same exact tournament last year. I kind of felt the same way that you do. I was told that I should play in the A Division as well. I did pretty well, but I wouldn't underestimate anyone in that division.

Players in the A division were more than capable of running out multiple racks. In my first loss my opponent broke and ran 3 of his games. My second loss went hill-hill with me running 3 racks myself. After he ran down to the 8 ball and was hooked I played a lock up safe tied to the back of 2 of my object balls. He kicked 2 rails and plucked the 8 ball out of the middle of the table and directly in the hole for the win.

Go out there and kick some butt! Let me know how you do when it's over. There are barbox 8-ball monsters all over that area.