Rare John Davis full cue (plus story)

Maxton39

Hello all,

First post here. It’s been nearly 10 years since I touched a cue, but the topic came up recently with my brother, and looking back I noticed that (unfortunately) John Davis had passed away back in 2018. Viewing some posts at that time, I noticed that he had only made somewhere near 20 full cues for customers, instead going on to concentrate on delivering full splice blanks for other makers to use. Because of it’s rarity, I thought I’d add my full John Davis to the public record.

I’ll keep the story as short as possible…but I contacted John in early/ mid 2007. I was about to turn 40 that April, and as I was playing a lot of pool at that time. I had the idea of a cue that would incorporate both my Canadian heritage and the Indian (East Indian, not Native American) heritage of my wife. The full splice seemed to me to be the closest coupling possible for wood types in a cue, and my search for a maker led me to John Davis, who was just beginning a “ comeback” of sorts at the time. His long history with significant cue makers like Burton Spain made it a really compelling direction to pursue.

All the email communications at that time went through his wife Barbara. Like me, John wasn’t much for that kind of communication. We spoke only on the phone. I still have the emails through Barbara however. We agreed on a 4 point cue of Canadian maple and Indian Rosewood. Veneers on the points would include the orange, green, and white from the Indian flag, which happened to be quite traditional. I liked the “train tack” inlays, and the cue was going to be a player. I wanted it simple.

The original grip was my preferred green/ white corded linen, but I played a lot at Flat Top Johnny’s in Cambridge, MA (since gone like so many) which used red chalk on its red felted tables. Impossible to keep that original grip clean, I sent the cue back to John who changed the grip to a black linen, and he lacquered over that as well (probably horrified by what the green linen looked like).

I was a user of Predator shafts, and I managed to convince John to make me the cue with a Z2 along with 2 of his own design/ making. I’m not entering the debate of this here. Asking a cue maker to include a shaft of another type is equivalent to asking a Michelin starred chef to cook your steak medium well to well- they will likely decline! Again, this post isn’t the place for that issue. On the subject of shafts, I later had Mike Webb make me one of his ld shafts to match. For most of the cue‘s use however, it was the Predator Z2 that was screwed to the butt. The balance turned significantly rearward (making a shot near the rail with an elevated cue more difficult), but the other shafts all required an adjustment I wasn’t willing to make.

No ivory, by-the-way.

Some pictures and specs, followed by a little conclusion:

4210527A-1345-4D97-8D4F-C6857F05FC51.jpeg

Shafts from bottom to to top above are Predator Z2, Mike Webb ld, the 2 John Davis shafts. Cue length is approximately 58” from tip to butt end not including rubber bumper (less 1/8” for the Predator). Weights with Davis shafts are approx. 19.9 oz and 20.26 oz. Weight with Webb shaft is 20.18 oz. weight with Predator is 19.73 oz. Don’t remember tip sizes (sorry).

ADCFD3AF-0C1D-41DF-9B6D-0C4B1CCE7D0C.jpeg
9E0715FB-52DF-4254-8263-1480D04DB531.jpeg
BB832339-CED3-4624-BA83-87761592270B.jpeg
A9ABCBDF-70E4-4786-8E73-70ECDFCBE45B.jpeg

62233DD7-8F64-42FE-859A-71356F0120EF.jpeg

Sorry if I bored you all!

John and Barbara were great to deal with. I won’t go into all the details. There were set backs along the way, but any issues were dealt with professionally. I’m guessing that John probably said “screw this complete custom build business” and found his groove in providing wonderful full splice blanks to others. While the overall attention to detail in his full cues was not on the level of a Searing for instance, the overall history that John Davis brought to any build was worth the price-of-admission, in my humble opinion. I have no regrets.

The cue you see in the photos is how I last packed it in my case nearly 10 years ago. My brother had a Gold Crown table with blue chalk, as you can see. Sorry I didn’t clean things up, but it shows the cue was used, little dents and all.

AZ Billiards seemed like a good place to add to the record, as I know some members here have one as well.

Thanks,

Allan

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s up, Allan?

I still remember when some dipshit stole the joint protectors.

Hope all is well.

Best,
Steve

Maxton39

Hey Steve,

Nice to hear from you. I had completely forgotten about the joint protectors! Just a horrible memory on my part. As someone with a graduate degree in philosophy, I appreciate your user name by-the-way.

Hope all is well,

Allan

phreaticus

Interesting story, beautiful cue, thanks for sharing.

I have a thing for humble wrapless Purpleheart full splices, and I found a used custom Davis-Prince cue from an older gentleman that had it made in 2012 when JD was primarily providing blanks to makers and apparently collaborating closely with Tim Prince. However, it has the same pin as yours which is a fairly unique 3/8x10 modified, in that it has a bit of non threaded flange on the bottom which creates a very snug fit and won't necessarily mate up well with other 3/8x10 or 3/8x10 modified (flat bottom) pin shafts. The cue says "Davis-Prince 2012" but per email exchanges I had with Tim Prince, apparently this is the pin JD used on his own cues, so it seems I also have a rare "partially full JD original" cue, speculating maybe JD made the entire butt, and maybe Tim did the shafts and finish - really not sure, as Tim couldn't recall all the details. It even came with a set of gorgeous JP's that perfectly match the maple forearm & veneers (another indicator of JD's personal touch on the entire thing). Attached a few pictures, in case anyone is interested in this thread. All white is ivory, and it hits like no other cue I've had and is my daily player. I feel super lucky to have stumbled on such a cue (and at an amazing price) and I'll never sell it as it's like it was custom made for me, exactly the weight/balance I prefer. I also play it with a CF shaft also, which would probably drive both Prince and JD into fits...

Its weird how we can connect physically and emotionally to a piece of wood. Obviously, not all folks feel this way and I can play just fine with any old house cue, but when you have that special one, there really is nothing like it.

Again, thanks for sharing your story, super cool.

Cheers

Custom-Prince-John-Davis-Full-Splice-Purpleheart-Maple-Pool-_57 (1).jpg
Custom-Prince-John-Davis-Full-Splice-Purpleheart-Maple-Pool-_57.jpg

Last edited:

Maxton39

Thanks for the photos of your Davis-Prince. Very nice.

Good info on Davis’ modified pin. I had no idea about that detail.

I wonder how many players have custom cues but (sometimes secretly…) use other “bastard” shafts. My feeling was that the art was in the butt (with some people too…), but the performance is in the shaft (and yes, with some people too…).

Appreciate your comments and story too.

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Hello all,

First post here. It’s been nearly 10 years since I touched a cue, but the topic came up recently with my brother, and looking back I noticed that (unfortunately) John Davis had passed away back in 2018. Viewing some posts at that time, I noticed that he had only made somewhere near 20 full cues for customers, instead going on to concentrate on delivering full splice blanks for other makers to use. Because of it’s rarity, I thought I’d add my full John Davis to the public record.

I’ll keep the story as short as possible…but I contacted John in early/ mid 2007. I was about to turn 40 that April, and as I was playing a lot of pool at that time. I had the idea of a cue that would incorporate both my Canadian heritage and the Indian (East Indian, not Native American) heritage of my wife. The full splice seemed to me to be the closest coupling possible for wood types in a cue, and my search for a maker led me to John Davis, who was just beginning a “ comeback” of sorts at the time. His long history with significant cue makers like Burton Spain made it a really compelling direction to pursue.

All the email communications at that time went through his wife Barbara. Like me, John wasn’t much for that kind of communication. We spoke only on the phone. I still have the emails through Barbara however. We agreed on a 4 point cue of Canadian maple and Indian Rosewood. Veneers on the points would include the orange, green, and white from the Indian flag, which happened to be quite traditional. I liked the “train tack” inlays, and the cue was going to be a player. I wanted it simple.

The original grip was my preferred green/ white corded linen, but I played a lot at Flat Top Johnny’s in Cambridge, MA (since gone like so many) which used red chalk on its red felted tables. Impossible to keep that original grip clean, I sent the cue back to John who changed the grip to a black linen, and he lacquered over that as well (probably horrified by what the green linen looked like).

I was a user of Predator shafts, and I managed to convince John to make me the cue with a Z2 along with 2 of his own design/ making. I’m not entering the debate of this here. Asking a cue maker to include a shaft of another type is equivalent to asking a Michelin starred chef to cook your steak medium well to well- they will likely decline! Again, this post isn’t the place for that issue. On the subject of shafts, I later had Mike Webb make me one of his ld shafts to match. For most of the cue‘s use however, it was the Predator Z2 that was screwed to the butt. The balance turned significantly rearward (making a shot near the rail with an elevated cue more difficult), but the other shafts all required an adjustment I wasn’t willing to make.

No ivory, by-the-way.

Some pictures and specs, followed by a little conclusion:

View attachment 609916

Shafts from bottom to to top above are Predator Z2, Mike Webb ld, the 2 John Davis shafts. Cue length is approximately 58” from tip to butt end not including rubber bumper (less 1/8” for the Predator). Weights with Davis shafts are approx. 19.9 oz and 20.26 oz. Weight with Webb shaft is 20.18 oz. weight with Predator is 19.73 oz. Don’t remember tip sizes (sorry).

View attachment 609918View attachment 609919View attachment 609920View attachment 609922

View attachment 609923

Sorry if I bored you all!

John and Barbara were great to deal with. I won’t go into all the details. There were set backs along the way, but any issues were dealt with professionally. I’m guessing that John probably said “screw this complete custom build business” and found his groove in providing wonderful full splice blanks to others. While the overall attention to detail in his full cues was not on the level of a Searing for instance, the overall history that John Davis brought to any build was worth the price-of-admission, in my humble opinion. I have no regrets.

The cue you see in the photos is how I last packed it in my case nearly 10 years ago. My brother had a Gold Crown table with blue chalk, as you can see. Sorry I didn’t clean things up, but it shows the cue was used, little dents and all.

AZ Billiards seemed like a good place to add to the record, as I know some members here have one as well.

Thanks,

Allan
Do you have a picture under the rubber bumper. Would like to know if John’s signature was any better in the earlier cues.

Maxton39

Wow. You’d need a psychologist just to make sense of the variance in signatures. Makes me question the value of a “signature” when every one seems so different, but perhaps that’s just an interesting part of the story. I had never even looked under the bumper on mine until a couple of days ago. If I didn’t know I ordered a Davis cue, the signature wouldn’t help… Even the date is unintelligible. The year is obviously 2007, but the month? Looks most like 04 (April) I suppose.

I can see that you’re a bit of a fan…

Might be some way of determining the build dates for all his cues. Given that few were made, it could be a valuable tool for people in the future. Mine was ordered sometime in March of 2007. What’s the earliest John Davis cue that you have/ know of?

Thanks for posting those signatures.

Allan

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Wow. You’d need a psychologist just to make sense of the variance in signatures. Makes me question the value of a “signature” when every one seems so different, but perhaps that’s just an interesting part of the story. I had never even looked under the bumper on mine until a couple of days ago. If I didn’t know I ordered a Davis cue, the signature wouldn’t help… Even the date is unintelligible. The year is obviously 2007, but the month? Looks most like 04 (April) I suppose.

I can see that you’re a bit of a fan…

Might be some way of determining the build dates for all his cues. Given that few were made, it could be a valuable tool for people in the future. Mine was ordered sometime in March of 2007. What’s the earliest John Davis cue that you have/ know of?

Thanks for posting those signatures.

Allan
My earliest cue is pretty early mid 60’s I was told.

Attachments

• 6C5F6276-FCE2-4B09-8909-56CD95B133D3.jpeg
    6C5F6276-FCE2-4B09-8909-56CD95B133D3.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 82

Maxton39

Very special. I wasn’t aware that he had a first act of full cue making under his own name.

Appreciate you showing that.

Allan

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is mine..with signature. He built the entire cue.

Attachments

• A27A0DCE-2C23-46E3-ADE5-C9B9DCD4D036.jpeg
    A27A0DCE-2C23-46E3-ADE5-C9B9DCD4D036.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 9AA45AF5-8ED1-453B-B384-9C7F88C79477.jpeg
    9AA45AF5-8ED1-453B-B384-9C7F88C79477.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 100

Maxton39

Very, very nice. Don’t think I’ve seen a wrapless Davis before. The silver rings really elevate the design without overpowering the simplicity of it. I’m not normally a wrapless fan, but this one speaks to me for some reason.

And…we can all actually read that the cue is dated November, 2009, so that’s a bonus.

Great cue.

phreaticus

Gorgeous & unique wrapless, love it.

Steppo & ramw5p - would you mind sharing pics of the pins on your cues? I’m curious to see what pin JD used on those. Thanks

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is mine

Attachments

• FC4E31BF-A9CE-4FA2-B341-FDD38C920611.jpeg
    FC4E31BF-A9CE-4FA2-B341-FDD38C920611.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 74
  • D79D8A71-B5EC-4D0D-A37C-6A490335BFFB.jpeg
    D79D8A71-B5EC-4D0D-A37C-6A490335BFFB.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Gorgeous & unique wrapless, love it.

Steppo & ramw5p - would you mind sharing pics of the pins on your cues? I’m curious to see what pin JD used on those. Thanks
I have cues with three different variations of pins. They are in order from oldest to newer.

Attachments

• 767EBA26-BC02-425B-B1E6-CE4556962C9B.jpeg
    767EBA26-BC02-425B-B1E6-CE4556962C9B.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 138A021D-0C5A-4C16-B482-53E11C90518F.jpeg
    138A021D-0C5A-4C16-B482-53E11C90518F.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 8C89C693-820F-4B2A-8346-62C66F907436.jpeg
    8C89C693-820F-4B2A-8346-62C66F907436.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 62

PURR1965

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I think his wife Barbara most likely signed some of them?
Steppo has the most JD cues I believe, mine is 12-2008, signed between the points.

Attachments

• DSC_1976-re.jpg
    DSC_1976-re.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_1963-re.jpg
    DSC_1963-re.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 81