Rasson Ox : Review

SpencerM

Registered
E94F254A-B1B9-435D-9CE6-2B2DCFDA0F8B.jpeg
Recently had a new 9ft. Rasson Ox installed, and thought I would take a moment to share my opinions about the table to perhaps influence those on the fence. Full disclouse, this table is replacing a 7ft. Diamon Pro Am, generally considered by many (not all) to be one of the best commerical tables on the market. Does this Rasson Ox hold-up to the competition? Let's find out:

Due to time constraints and conflicting priorities, I will break the comparison down into 5 categories, with more to follow at a later date: 1.) playability 2.) asthetics, 3.) quality of craftsmanship, 4.) installation, and 5.) Resale Value

1. Playability
    1. From a playbility perspective, the table does live up to its Mosconic Cup credibility: the Klematch P59 cushions are very lively, perhaps on par with, or even slightly more responsive than the Black Diamond (correction) cushions found on the 7ft. Diamond Pro Am. Now this is completely subjective, as this opinion is based on my playing style which perfers leaving agressive angles for sending the balls into the rails for positon. This style has been conditioned as result of living in a very high humidity environment. The table plays very fast with the Simonis 860HR, and it would probably play even faster with 760 (future upgrade). The 4.5"/5" pockets are tight, and will keep you honest. That said, I do think the Diamond pockets are a bit less forgiving, but the difference is subtle. From a banking perspective, I would say it's very similar to Diamond, but I'm probably not the best person for this analysis.
  2. Asthetics
    1. Again, this is completely subjective, I prefer the more modern look and feel of the Rasson table; it appeals more broadly to my personal style: i.e. the metal pocket inserts, luxurious looking rails, and the utilitarian design with the arched legs.. The aluminum beams are visible as I'm walking up the stairs to the loft, which gives the table an ultra-premium look. I still like the Diamon Pro Am, but it is on the contemporary side.
  3. Quality of Craftsmanship
    1. I think there are some trade-offs. I'm not happy with the way the top of the TRP pockets (corners) meet and align with the cushions on the Rasson Ox. On some pockets the corners are wedged against the rails so tightly they buldge and elevate above the rails surface, while on others there is minor gap. At first I thought it was a potential mechanic issue, but after spending some time finagling with the pockets, I could not get the desired outcome (e.g., something similar to the Diamond tolerance). I'm in the process of reaching out to Imperial about this issue. I will update this post as things develop. Aside from this "work in progress," everything else is pretty refined.
    2. One thing I did NOT like about my Diamond was the ball return collection area. I would frequently get cuts and scratches on my hands from the tiny ball return cutout that is lined with sharp/rough plywood edges. Regarding the top rails, both Diamond and Rasson use Phenolic resin that creates a scratch, warp, burn, and dent resistant surface. Both rails seem bulletproof. That said, one could probably raise the argument Diamond is using better quality wood; it appears Rasson uses a modular wood-to-wood joinery on the subrail. Additionally, my cursory observation is that Diamond has more surface area of wood attached to the slate bed. As far as the frame is concerned, I would prefer the aluminum, as, again, I live in a high humidity area. Adds a little extra peace of mind.
    3. There was some calamity and chatter surrounding the leather Diamond pockets leaving black marks on the balls. I didn't experience this issue with my 2019 production Pro-Am table.
    4. The slate thickness is 30mm, with what Rasson claims to be sub-millimetric precision. I belive Diamond now uses 30mm slate as well. The Slate Leveling System (SLS), however, appears to be significantly more heavy duty (metal) on the Rasson compared to the plastic wedges and thin rods my Diamond had. This isn't to say they were problematic, or I noticed a weak spot. Some have suggested the aluminum frame is slight, but from the pictures, it looks pretty substantial and proportionate.
  4. Installation:
    1. Regarding installation, one-piece Diamond’s are assembled at the factory making a ground-level install quick and painless. When my 1-piece was installed, they literally rolled the pre-assemble table on a special gurney to the location, slapped the legs on, and they were out in less than 1 hour. They did NOT, however, touch the multi-point leveling system. Only the legs were adjusted. This Rasson table, on the other hand, took a seasoned table mechanic (please ignore the Hyper Tough level) nearly 5 hours - soup to nuts - for a 2nd floor install. I doubt the 3-piece Pro Am would have taken this long, but not sure. The Rasson table has a lot of hardware to negotiate that would seem like a nusiance even for a seasoned mechanic. The mechanic did not seem to like the small arc/circumference of the side pocket cut-outs on the slate. Perhaps somebody could explain this annoyance a little more in depth, as it pertains to the cloth installation process.
  5. Resale Value
    1. Not sure. Anybody looking to buy a Rasson Ox (asking for a friend)? 😂. Although, I must say, I didn’t get a lot of activity when I listed my Diamond (various sites); ended up taking a modest 30% loss (3 years). Very few people can both appreciate the quality and justify the expense of a commerical table.

Summary:

I did attempt to re-order another Diamond Pro-Am, but the lead time was 12 months. Considering my time constraints, I opted for the 4 month Rasson lead time. In all, I felt Rasson filled the void quite nicely. I'm very happy with my table, and I do feel that Rasson is almost on par with Diamond in terms of quality, asthetics, playability, for less money OOP. If money is a concern, and it did play a small part in my decisioin making, I think you can make a VERY compelling case for Rasson. Yes, it's a Chinese company, which I'm personally not all that thrilled about; however, it does offer much needed "high-end" competition for Diamond in the US market. Often times (not always), table opinions are heavily influenced or steered by sponsorship dollars that flow into the sport. Companies certainly should be rewarded for keeping the sport thriving. That said, I do believe Rasson is doing a good job in this area, as well. Competition is very a healthy thing. If money (and lead time) is not a concern, my civic duty tells me that it would be prudent to keep the money flowing through the US by purchasing a good ‘ole "tried and true" Diamond!

Again, these are simply my opinions. I tried my best to keep things as impartial as possible. As time permits, I would like to drill a little deeper into the tolerances at each pocket: i.e. angels, depth.

*corrections

* 7ft Pro-Am does not use Artemis Cushions

Attachments

• image_50392577.JPG
    image_50392577.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 290
  • image_50428673.JPG
    image_50428673.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 273
  • image_67177217.JPG
    image_67177217.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 291
  • D0058410-7B37-4784-AFF5-0DF59F5542CE.jpeg
    D0058410-7B37-4784-AFF5-0DF59F5542CE.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 219
  • EE71321D-030C-4DB0-B18D-F733F922F0CB.jpeg
    EE71321D-030C-4DB0-B18D-F733F922F0CB.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 185D7966-FD22-4D88-AD6B-64044F1E446F.jpeg
    185D7966-FD22-4D88-AD6B-64044F1E446F.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 199
  • AE731FF0-E07D-4801-B815-69AA22EBE319.jpeg
    AE731FF0-E07D-4801-B815-69AA22EBE319.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review. I've played on the OX at Bangin Ballz in Vegas. Nice tables, I didn't have anything bad to say, just a few observations. The sides and top remind me of a GC4 if that's the look one wants. Those aluminum beams look kinda small, I'm not convinced that's any better than resign impregnated beams on the Diamond Professional. I'd like to see what those OX rails look like after the cloth has been changed 10 times. I know you were talking about the Pro-Am and I'm not in love with the box style, but I doubt you can pick up that OX with a forklift. I do like the solid long rail Diamond uses and I like the leather pockets. Yes, they leave black marks on the balls, not sure if that's been fixed. Do you really think the humidity affects the resign impregnated beams? Maybe it does on the Pro-Am.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review. I've played on the OX at Bangin Ballz in Vegas. Nice tables, I didn't have anything bad to say, just a few observations. The sides and top remind me of a GC4 if that's the look one wants. Those aluminum beams look kinda small, I'm not convinced that's any better than resign impregnated beams on the Diamond Professional. I'd like to see what those OX rails look like after the cloth has been changed 10 times. I know you were talking about the Pro-Am and I'm not in love with the box style, but I doubt you can pick up that OX with a forklift. I do like the solid long rail Diamond uses and I like the leather pockets. Yes, they leave black marks on the balls, not sure if that's been fixed. Do you really think the humidity affects the resign impregnated beams? Maybe it does on the Pro-Am.
AFAIK the PRC material is a super tough phenolic-based material that is bonded to the wooden rail structure. I don't think its impregnated into the rail wood but a separate layer like a ultra tough formica type material. Rails themselves are a multi piece butcher block assembly.

SpencerM

Registered
The aluminum frame didn’t appear undersized. FWIW the table is rock solid! Definitively not a metallurgist, but it would seem you get tighter tolerances with less element related expansion from the metal. Perhaps somebody could chime in on this subject? I know wood swells in high humidity, but I can honestly say if the humidity did negatively impact the wood on my Pro-Am it was imperceptible. I only had my Diamond for 3 years, so not sure about the long term. The big issue with high humidity is the dramatic reduction in table speed. It really affects the way you play, over time. You can mitigate some of it with a dehumidifier.

Attachments

• 06614E05-2CAA-4288-A904-E5369B9764D0.jpeg
    06614E05-2CAA-4288-A904-E5369B9764D0.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Playability
  1. From a playbility perspective, the table does live up to it Mosconic Cup credibility: the Klematch P59 cushions are very lively, perhaps on par with, or even slightly better than the Artemis cushions found on the Diamon Pro Am. Now this is completely subjective, as this opinion is based on my playing style which perfers leaving agressive angles for sending the balls into the rails for positon.

The 7 foot Diamond Pro-Am does not have Artemis rubber, it has the Black Diamond cushions

-dj

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The aluminum rails didn’t seem undersized. FWIW the table is rock solid! Definitively not a metallurgist, but it would seem you get tighter tolerances with less element related expansion from the metal. Perhaps somebody could chime in on this subject? I know wood swells in high humidity, but I can honestly say if the humidity did negatively impact the wood on my Pro-Am it was imperceptible. I only had my Diamond for 3 years, so not sure about the long term. The big issue with high humidity is the dramatic reduction in table speed. It really affects the way you play, over time. You can mitigate some of it with a dehumidifier.
The way a D'mond is made i don't think you could get the humidity high enough to cause the wood to move. Not an issue. The ProAm 'box' is a super hi-quality bonded plywood like they use on hi-end boat building and the rails are laminated butcher-block style.

SpencerM

Registered
Playability
  1. From a playbility perspective, the table does live up to it Mosconic Cup credibility: the Klematch P59 cushions are very lively, perhaps on par with, or even slightly better than the Artemis cushions found on the Diamon Pro Am. Now this is completely subjective, as this opinion is based on my playing style which perfers leaving agressive angles for sending the balls into the rails for positon.

The 7 foot Diamond Pro-Am does not have Artemis rubber, it has the Black Diamond cushions

-dj

SpencerM

Registered
Thanks for the review, Spencer. Did you use a local installer?

Nice looking table and light combo!

Thank you! Yes, a local installer. Regarding the installers, they seemed enthusiastic and pleasant, but definitely a little annoyed by the crazy amount of hardware required (nuts, bolts, washers, brackets). They had installed many other Rasson tables, so they quickly and efficiently sorted through the hardward.

I actually installed the light myself. Fun little project. As always, I took it to a level of precision it didn’t need go, so it wasn’t without its challenges/frustrations 😆

Last edited:

Mobiker

I remember looking at the Rasson dealer network, and there weren't many. Glad it worked out.

I'm used to old Brunswicks, so those pockets look pretty nice. :ROFLMAO:

SpencerM

Registered
I remember looking at the Rasson dealer network, and there weren't many. Glad it worked out.

I'm used to old Brunswicks, so those pockets look pretty nice. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, Imperial is a massive wholesaler. I’m surprised most dealers, especially brick and mortar, don’t have an account with them. My area has quite a few to choose from. OTD Prices varied greatly.

Last edited:

Nyquil

Congrats on the table. Interested to see if you have issues with the frame over time or not. Looks nice for sure

SpencerM

Registered
Did the installers also have a machinist level? That 2' long carpenter level is a red flag for me.
No, that 2’ Walmart Hyper Tough level in the picture was the only level used during the installation process. It kind of annoyed me, but there are so many level points for the slate, and he certainly used them all. So far, I haven't noticed any drifts or funny rolls, and I have been putting the table to the test. But yes, I was expecting a machinist level. The process took forever as it was.

Last edited:

SpencerM

Registered
Enj

Enjoy your new table. What area are you in?
Thank you! Florida. If anybody is ever in Orlando, Florida, and wants to get their butt handed to them in a few games 😂, and perhaps help me re-level the table (with a machinist level), please reach out to me.