Re finish question

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you guys re finish a cue with just a few dings or small chips do you remove all the finish and start from wood or do you just patch the bad spots or sand down a little and build it back up. Thanks

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
it depends on the cue.... what is under the bad spot.... is it something that must be saved like a signature??,,,, I will not refinish a cue that is dyed or has overlays....(decals)................... or a wrap.............

but that is just me......... I don't need the head ache

Kim

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my cues. The one had a big chip in before that i fixed with CA. It's back again cause it has a few more dings he wants fixed up. And he brought his friends cue that needs a pretty good re finishing.

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it depends on the cue.... what is under the bad spot.... is it something that must be saved like a signature??,,,, I will not refinish a cue that is dyed or has overlays....(decals)................... or a wrap.............

but that is just me......... I don't need the head ache

Kim
Kim there's a signature but it's in a good area that shouldn't need anything but a polishing. It's just plain wood under the finish.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you guys re finish a cue with just a few dings or small chips do you remove all the finish and start from wood or do you just patch the bad spots or sand down a little and build it back up. Thanks

Things you’ll run into:

Gloss of the finish may not match if just a small repair is done.
Clarity of the finish may be off. Old finish may have yellowed.
Toughness of the finish coat between what you’re doing and what’s there.

I just live with finish blemishes until there’s a massive inconvenience of the finish problem.

I also refuse to refinish McDermott’s and Meucci’s because of their construction issues.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes in order to hide the repair you have to take the finish to the next junction and feather-in :)

Mario

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it your cue or someone else's?
Your cue, your choice.
Someone else's?
What do they use and how would they feel about you putting C/A on it?

That's a very good business practice(to ask) although most will not know what they have or what your suggestion really means. I do not use a CA finish but there's a lot of misguided ideas about this type of finish. Mostly because almost every newbie starts with CA and the world gets to see all the nasty results. :) jmtc

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a very good business practice(to ask) although most will not know what they have or what your suggestion really means. I do not use a CA finish but there's a lot of misguided ideas about this type of finish. Mostly because almost every newbie starts with CA and the world gets to see all the nasty results. :) jmtc

Mario

It is very easy to get a reputation as a hack. If someone super glued one of my cues. I'd be pissed. I don't care who it is that did it.

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very easy to get a reputation as a hack. If someone super glued one of my cues. I'd be pissed. I don't care who it is that did it.

Why, if you don't mind me asking. What's wrong with a CA finish. What finish do you use when re finishing a cue.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all CA is created equal. I use epoxy and finish with automotive but I have seen first hand the durability and longevity of a cue finished with quality CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why, if you don't mind me asking. What's wrong with a CA finish. What finish do you use when re finishing a cue.

I use epoxy with Automotive finish, on refinishes too. I inform other Cue makers when I'm going to refinish one of thier cues also if thier contact info is available, Before I touch it.
C/A is not for everyone.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of cues that get refinished without going back to the Cue maker for whatever reasons.
It never hurts as the person asked to refinish to contact the Cue maker if you can and say,
I have one of your cues to refinish, can I ask what finish you use?
This is what I use. Any concerns?
If nothing else, you showed the Cue maker respect. You'll learn a lot about what different finishes there are.
And the Cue maker will know, if he ever GETS that cue back to work on, if he doesn't use C/A and he needs to finish it. He now has to strip it completely because his finish probably won't stick to C/A.
Quite a few of us have run into that problem.
Then there is also the;
If I work on this cue, will it hurt it's value.
There's a lot involved with other cues and it's YOUR responsibility to learn about them. Not the customers. YOURS!
And last but not least.
Take some pictures of your refinish work, NOT on a pool table or inside like those people in the gallery section do.
OUTSIDE where you see everything the cue has to offer.

Last edited:

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb I would have sent a pm to say this but that right there to me was probably the most valuable thing I've gotten from this thread. Never really would have thought to ask the original maker to find out what they use. What do you do in the rare situation they don't tell me.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb I would have sent a pm to say this but that right there to me was probably the most valuable thing I've gotten from this thread. Never really would have thought to ask the original maker to find out what they use. What do you do in the rare situation they don't tell me.

My fault. I don't play the pm game so instead of receiving them and not answer, I shut it off. The situation of not answering might be more common than you think.
Cue makers lurk here, you would be shocked to know what and WHO we laugh at.
I'll be the first to tell you, if some of the so called Cue makers or repair people asked me what time it was, and I'm standing in front of a clock.
I WOULDN'T TELL THEM, based on how they act on here. And some of thier questions leave a lot to be desired. AND thier building and selling cues. It really is funny.
But it comes down to and this helps.
Old fashion morals.
No one has to tell anyone anything.
So with that in mind.
You call or email Cue maker who ever.
My name is so and so. Not your screen name here. Add a real name to your profile here.
And then say.
I was asked to refinish one of your cues,
Do you have 2 minutes to talk to me.
This is what I use,
Would you mind telling me what you use and do you for see me having any problems?
If you make it that far in the conversation, you have a good start.
If you are emailing him. Supply pictures of your refinish work. OUTSIDE!
Half ass photo's on a pool table, floor whatever ain't gonna cut it.
Cue maker policies, learn and remember them if they're available.
High end cues, collectables. Be careful. Customers are not always as smart as they think they are. If you are any good at being a Cue mechanic, SOMEONE is going to try to get you to do something you might not be doing or ready too for that matter.

In closing, I for one would like to know you by your real name. I don't take jokers wild seriously or anyone else who doesn't sign thier name.
Very few exceptions.
Shelby is one exception but that's only because him and I share emails.

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg schrader is my real name. How do I contact you privately. I have more questions about how you finish a cue. I've seen/heard the epoxy and auto coat a few times but dont know how to go about it correctly. I'll be up front, been doing cue work and some repairs for about 3 yrs now. I'm always looking for a better way to do my own finish and refinishing.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg schrader is my real name. How do I contact you privately. I have more questions about how you finish a cue. I've seen/heard the epoxy and auto coat a few times but dont know how to go about it correctly. I'll be up front, been doing cue work and some repairs for about 3 yrs now. I'm always looking for a better way to do my own finish and refinishing.

Hello Mr. Schrader
Nice to meet you.
Asking your questions here is about as good as it gets with me. Other Cue makers too. We offer technical support when we can. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't post my contact info here because I'm not here for business reasons. Fact is, I catch a lot of shit from my friends for the help I post. Unfortunately with any Forum, especially this one. You'll get responces from the CLUELESS, you have to read thru it and in time youll know who actually tries to help and who's just trying to make thier post count go up.
Sometimes I don't post for weeks. Sometimes I don't read emails for weeks either.
I'm lucky that I'm busy.
Take your time. It doesn't come easy but it does get easier.
No one has all the answers.

Last edited: