Re-tips in Cape Cod, MA

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Is there anywhere local to Cape Cod, MA or Plymouth, MA that will put a new tip on a shaft? As it stands now I think I have to ship out my shaft to have the a new tip put on. This seems hopelessly expensive. I was hoping someone around here knew of a place I can get a new tip installed. Preferably a place where I can buy the new tip too. Trying to get a new tip without having to send a shaft out to have it put on.

Thanks guys, hope someone out there can help.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Is there anywhere local to Cape Cod, MA or Plymouth, MA that will put a new tip on a shaft? As it stands now I think I have to ship out my shaft to have the a new tip put on. This seems hopelessly expensive. I was hoping someone around here knew of a place I can get a new tip installed. Preferably a place where I can buy the new tip too. Trying to get a new tip without having to send a shaft out to have it put on.

Thanks guys, hope someone out there can help.

I put my own tips on, its not that hard. Plenty of members here sell all types of tips.

All you need is a sharp razor blade, sand paper, tip tool, some TLC, and a lot of spare time. shave small pieces, and maybe wet the tip just a touch. A little oil from your skin and burnish that bad boy and you're set.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I have built a guitar and a few chess boards, music boxes, etc. If it's possible to install your own tip I will just go that route. Is there any kind of mega-tool that can do this that doesn't cost triple digits?

It sure looks easy enough, but I thought you needed like 100 lbs of pressure psi or something. I have seen videos of tips being trimmed and installed on a lathe. I have a lot of tools...a lathe is not one of them. if it's just a matter of removing the old tip, measure a bunch of times and cut (or glue) once then I am comfortable with it.

if there's a tool, even better. What's the best? Or is there a thread on that somewhere already? It's AZ forums...there has got to be. lol

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I just got a Porper big shaver. I found the thread on here by RiverCity and it all seemed to make sense. I am only doing tips for myself. We're talking one a year, maybe two. So the 100.00 investment in the big shaver and a few other things will probably do the trick.

Who has Kamui Med tips for sale cheap? I would rather buy from a fellow AZer than one of the big sites. That's pretty much how I ended up here in the first place.

BlindWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I install by hand. To center the tip on the ferrule I place a 14mm tip in the bottom of a six sided 14mm socket. The tip fits the socket snugly. I'll use blue painter's masking tape around the cue shaft so that the shaft end fits snugly also. After the glue is set the overhang is trimmed with a utility knife. Most people screw up by holding the tip crown down against a table when trimming so that the tip won't come off or spread like an accordion. I trim the overhang with a whittling motion and observe the tip sides to look for possible spreading. If I see spreading I cut the tip off and try another.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a Porper big shaver. I found the thread on here by RiverCity and it all seemed to make sense. I am only doing tips for myself. We're talking one a year, maybe two. So the 100.00 investment in the big shaver and a few other things will probably do the trick.

Who has Kamui Med tips for sale cheap? I would rather buy from a fellow AZer than one of the big sites. That's pretty much how I ended up here in the first place.

what kind of cue you playing with?

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Well this is for a new 314 shaft. It was supposed to come with the Kamui that I purchased, instead...the company I bought the shaft from was out of Kamui tips so they decided to just send the shaft with the stock Everest tip. It really angers me as they never asked if I wanted a different tip. Never gave me any say in what happened. Just wanted to make a quick buck, shipped the shaft, then told me they would refund the difference of the tip. So...I figure it's time I learn to do it myself. I'm not going to give the company name until I see how they handle the issue. If they botch it up, or refuse to refund the money for the tip, I'll be sure to mention their name. Not in some flaming rant, just in passing.

The shaft will be going on a Predator IKON. I don't live near a pool hall. The closest thing I have are tables in friend's basements. Wich is fine, better tables than most pool halls anyway. But the man caves dont have cue repair services. lol Back in the 80's there was a pool hall for every gas station you passed. Those were the days.

If anyone has a lead on a cheap, used, but totally working lathe please let me know.

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Take a ride to Providence and have Mike Webb do it. One of the best in the biz and even a greater guy in person. He can be found here on AZB under Webbcues I think.

Patrick

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Take a ride to Providence and have Mike Webb do it. One of the best in the biz and even a greater guy in person. He can be found here on AZB under Webbcues I think.

Patrick

I think Boston is closer to me than Providence. I was hoping there was someone within 30 minutes. I already sunk 180.00 into it, including two Kamui tips. I'm in for it now. :)

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Providence is about 60 miles from the Bourne and Boston is about 50 miles from the Sagamore....the extra 15 minutes would be worth it IMO.

I'm from the South Shore and my wife is from the Cape so I know the area. There are no other options that I know of locally. When you figure in shipping costs versus gas costs it's almost a push.

Maybe try Classical Billiards in Yarmouth? They might know a local repair guy.

Good luck in your search.

Patrick

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live close to Boston and drove to Mike Webb to have him put an Onyx on my 314-2. He's easy to deal with, his prices are super reasonable, and his puppies are fun! Bring a few doggie biscuits with ya. :)

You could also go to Shooters and have him install it there when he's working tournies... I just contacted him through here and went to his house. You get the added bonus of seeing his shop and his cues in progress by going to his house!

He also conditioned my cue shaft with a material he uses and the dang thing felt like silk for months. Can't go wrong with Mike!

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I'm from the South Shore and my wife is from the Cape so I know the area. There are no other options that I know of locally. When you figure in shipping costs versus gas costs it's almost a push.

Patrick

Were it not for four hours of driving you would be right. I guess I'm spoiled by remembering when I could just go down the street.

60 miles away is 50 miles further than I wanted. For that many miles I can go into Boston. No matter, the parts have been ordered. Seems crazy to pay someone to glue a piece of leather onto a piece of wood.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
That is the conclusion I have come to. :)

If I can do it you can do it.

TIPS:
Brand new sharp razor
get a 14mm tip and center it with super glue gel, sand and clean both tip and farrell. press tip firmly and apply pressure for a minute, wait till dry, then start cutting the excess tip from the sides slowly(helps if damp, small pieces). you can you tape ferrell to protect your stick.

sand and burnish with leather or whatever, then scuff it and chalk it!

Rackem!

EDIT: check youtube might be a how to video