Realistic 2021 Personal 14.1 High Run Goals

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna make 200+ I had same goal last year but gave maybe 10-15 days for 14.1 only.. I know I have now skill to do it. Hardest part is focus. Lately when I play 14.1 I try Mr626 way to bang first 50 and then start focus. Or I try play first racks slow and then speed up.
Last practice time I did put 3x 80+ and all runs ended due careless mistake.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I wanna make 200+ I had same goal last year but gave maybe 10-15 days for 14.1 only.. I know I have now skill to do it. Hardest part is focus. Lately when I play 14.1 I try Mr626 way to bang first 50 and then start focus. Or I try play first racks slow and then speed up.
Last practice time I did put 3x 80+ and all runs ended due careless mistake.
I find my limiting factor thus far is generally experimentation... Being so new to the game I'm usually looking for an opportunity to try something else. Whether it be mini patterns, cluster breaks from odd angles, or just combos/caroms that don't necessarily need to be done.

When I managed to break through the 100 barrier, the last 20 balls to get to that point were very 'safe'. I didn't take any risks what so ever.

I have to think if I could maintain that mindset throughout, I could achieve a much higher average and tip my tow into triple digits more often.

Last edited:

Pete H

Registered
No more goals as it's always uncertain how much I have time/motivation to practice.

I try not to force myself into anything anymore.

Today I broke 20 for the fourth time and set my new record at 26 though so I'm happy.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find my limiting factor thus far is generally experimentation... Being so new to the game I'm usually looking for an opportunity to try something else. Whether it be mini patterns, cluster breaks from odd angles, or just combos/caroms that don't necessarily need to be done.

When I managed to break through the 100 barrier, the last 20 balls to get to that point were very 'safe'. I didn't take any risks what so ever.

I have to think if I could maintain that mindset throughout, I could achieve a much higher average and tip my tow into triple digits more often.
Experimentation gets me all the time. I guess that is due to playing in my basement with little consequence. On the other hand, that experimentation is what makes you better in the long run.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Experimentation gets me all the time. I guess that is due to playing in my basement with little consequence. On the other hand, that experimentation is what makes you better in the long run.
Exactly my situation and hopefull outcome as well... That said, it's almost to the point where I have to make a conscious decision to either "play to win" (as it were) or to allow myself to entertain circus shots and accept the potential run enders. I'm going to be bold and claim it may be like JS allowing top gear speed through his first 200 balls and then settling in when he realizes that there might be something of note going on (for him).

For sake of clarity. When I say 'circus shots' I merely mean anything that's not necessary and has even the slightest 'hold my beer and watch this' element to it ;)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly my situation and hopefull outcome as well... That said, it's almost to the point where I have to make a conscious decision to either "play to win" (as it were) or to allow myself to entertain circus shots and accept the potential run enders. I'm going to be bold and claim it may be like JS allowing top gear speed through his first 200 balls and then settling in when he realizes that there might be something of note going on (for him).

For sake of clarity. When I say 'circus shots' I merely mean anything that's not necessary and has even the slightest 'hold my beer and watch this' element to it ;)
Maybe we're talking slightly different things. Let's say I practice a position shot that will allow me to come off the rail and separate two balls. When that shot comes up in a real run it might not be the correct shot but it will give a good result anyway if it works and I just want to see if the practice paid off. Or, maybe there is another shot where I'm not exactly sure if the cue ball will go where I need it and there are other options still on the table. I shoot that shot anyway just to see if I was right. In a money game I'm not going to do that kind of thing.

Playing the higher percentage shot in all cases might be a good drill for you. Maybe it will result in higher averages.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two months into 2021- I created a new goal for myself- I play about 3 one and one half hour 14.1 sessions a week ( practice and video combined) and my new goal for 2021 is a 50 ball run during each of these sessions- I am hitting 30 consistently now and sometimes deep into rack 3- not good enough! I want 50 minimum every session- completely stripping my stroke down now and rebuilding it as per Mark Wilson's book and it is helping tremendously.

I do believe in combining 14.1 with rotation play to keep the stroke from shortening up too much- it helps me a lot. Sense of speed is so critical in 14.1- rather sense of lack of speed! Playing half table pool ( 14.1) on fast cloth and cushions takes way more touch than folks realize.

Keeping that speed in check while keeping the stroke pure is my greatest challenge. All that while making sure to focus intently on every shot.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Or, maybe there is another shot where I'm not exactly sure if the cue ball will go where I need it and there are other options still on the table. I shoot that shot anyway just to see if I was right. In a money game I'm not going to do that kind of thing.
^^^This is what I mean to compare myself to.