Realistic 2021 Personal 14.1 High Run Goals

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal goals for the year 2021 for my 14.1 solo practice sessions is as follows:

1) Maintain an average of at least two 14.1 solo practice sessions per week, a minimum of two hours per session.

2) Keep a record dating and documenting my three highest runs for every practice session. Also, documenting the specific reason for why every run ends, to help determine what areas of my game I need to work most on.

3) A minimum 28+ ball (2 complete racks) high run for every practice session.

4) End every practice session with a minimum 14+ ball (1 complete rack) run.

5) A minimum 42+ ball (3 complete racks) high run at least once a month.

6) A goal for a 2021 high run of 56+ balls (4 complete racks).

Although my PR high run is 98 balls, that was nearly 25 years ago, and I’m now 64. I have not run 56+ balls in at least 3-4 years. Although I realize my chance of running 100 balls is no longer realistic, I feel these goals listed above are attainable for me, if I work and focus hard enough.

Other 14.1 regulars on here care to share their personal 14.1 goals for 2021, or offer suggestions as to what else I could add to my goals that might be of benefit to me? -

Thanks and Happy New Year To All!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a real fan of setting high run goals, per se. I prefer to have goals like:

- play at least twice a week for x hours,
- find at least one weakness and make it a strength each month,
- get good at the L drill or some other drill you find useful,
- use the laser to straighten the stroke and maintain, etc...

I find that setting a high run goal is just frustrating. If I work on the weaknesses the high run will take care of itself. Once in awhile I will have a session devoted to running as many balls as I can, trying to employ things I have been working on. The more I accomplish my goals the more I might just run balls to see how many I can do.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a real fan of setting high run goals, per se. I prefer to have goals like:

- play at least twice a week for x hours,
- find at least one weakness and make it a strength each month,
- get good at the L drill or some other drill you find useful,
- use the laser to straighten the stroke and maintain, etc...

I find that setting a high run goal is just frustrating. If I work on the weaknesses the high run will take care of itself. Once in awhile I will have a session devoted to running as many balls as I can, trying to employ things I have been working on. The more I accomplish my goals the more I might just run balls to see how many I can do.
Thanks, I do try the double L drill periodically, which is far better than the standard L drill - 15 balls racked in an L on both ends of the table, and you have to alternate every shot between any ball at one end followed by any ball at the opposite end. It is extremely difficult to pocket 30 consecutive balls without missing and without running in to another ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those sound like good goals.

My standard 14.1 practice was to shoot sets of 10 innings and record each inning. That made it pretty easy to keep stats. I generally did two sets per practice session, so 20 innings. I noted the average and the high run in each set.

What I neglected to do most of the time was to figure out why a run went wrong and work on fixing the issue. I did sometimes work on specific break positions to find a more reliable attack.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My standard 14.1 practice was to shoot sets of 10 innings and record each inning. That made it pretty easy to keep stats. I generally did two sets per practice session, so 20 innings. I noted the average and the high run in each set.

What I neglected to do most of the time was to figure out why a run went wrong and work on fixing the issue. I did sometimes work on specific break positions to find a more reliable attack.
I’ve done 10 inning sets as well, always starting with a variety of standard break shots. I’m lucky if I break 100, as I find it very frustrating when you either miss a break shot or stick yourself with no shot following the break shot.

I’ve come up with a list of 15 different reasons why my run comes to an end. I try to evaluate as to which of the reasons show up most often, and pinpoint that as a weakness I need to work on improving.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I do try the double L drill periodically, which is far better than the standard L drill - 15 balls racked in an L on both ends of the table, and you have to alternate every shot between any ball at one end followed by any ball at the opposite end. It is extremely difficult to pocket 30 consecutive balls without missing and without running in to another ball.
Maybe the double L drill is better for 9 ball. I think the regular old L drill is better for straight pool as you can refine your close position play. Of course changing things up once in awhile is a good thing. I'll have to give that double L a try. Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the double L drill is better for 9 ball. I think the regular old L drill is better for straight pool as you can refine your close position play. Of course changing things up once in awhile is a good thing. I'll have to give that double L a try. Thanks!
Just curious, when you do the L drill, do you have to go in order from the end rail or can you shoot the balls in any order you want? I’ve heard of players that do it both ways. Obviously going in order all the way through is harder.

The other variant I’ve used which is a harder version of the L drill is to place all the balls on the perpendicular lines 2 1/2 sights from the pocket instead of two sights. It gives you less working room for the cue ball in making sure you keep it off the rail. When the cue ball ends up too close to the side rail in that drill, you’re pretty much cooked.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, when you do the L drill, do you have to go in order from the end rail or can you shoot the balls in any order you want? I’ve heard of players that do it both ways. Obviously going in order all the way through is harder.

The other variant I’ve used which is a harder version of the L drill is to place all the balls on the perpendicular lines 2 1/2 sights from the pocket instead of two sights. It gives you less working room for the cue ball in making sure you keep it off the rail. When the cue ball ends up too close to the side rail in that drill, you’re pretty much cooked.
Yes, start at the bottom rail and work your way up to the ball on the foot spot and then in order toward the side rail. I haven't really tried any other variants other than trying to refine where I get the cue ball for the next shot. I think doing any ball in any order would be more of a low intermediate's drill.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, start at the bottom rail and work your way up to the ball on the foot spot and then in order toward the side rail. I haven't really tried any other variants other than trying to refine where I get the cue ball for the next shot. I think doing any ball in any order would be more of a low intermediate's drill.
You’d be surprised - it still takes some skill to work around from one side of the table to the other randomly, especially if you do it on a table with 4-1/2 inch or 4-1/4 inch corner pockets.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’d be surprised - it still takes some skill to work around from one side of the table to the other randomly, especially if you do it on a table with 4-1/2 inch or 4-1/4 inch corner pockets.
Maybe you're right. A little harder than I am giving credit. I still say it is considerably harder to pocket the balls in order. Great, another thing for me to try. lol.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No drills for this guy....

I plan to keep chugging toward the 100 barrier and then may just give up the game.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that the best way to improve one's 14.1 game is to record each practice session and then review it to find any patterns as to why your runs end. As you decide the top reasons why your runs are ending- work on each area and you will see it all start to come together with higher runs. Reasons may include:

1. A missed shot ends your run quite often- remedy: go back and review your mechanics - something in your mechanics or your PSR is flawed and needs to be fixed or you will never achieve higher runs.

2. Cue ball getting stuck without any available shot mid rack somewhere- remedy: pay attention to resulting cue ball paths PRIOR to executing each shot and also try not to touch any balls on the table that already have a clear path to a pocket.

3. Missing full rack break shots- remedy: play break shots as if the rack does not exist once you have determined the proper speed, and english to hit that break shot. Decide on what type of straight pool player you want to be - European style of smashing the 14.1 racks with very hard break shots or traditional American 14.1 style of more softer full rack break shots and greater cue ball control after each break. Especially on the more modern 4 1/2 inch Diamond pockets- you had better be a terrific shotmaker to consistently smash break shots and be successful.

4. Consistently getting 14 balls off the table- but NOT consistently getting onto a good key ball or to a good break ball- remedy: You need to work the rack in such a way that you get each ball eventually open to at least one available pocket, while trying to manufacture a break ball if one does not exist from the balls that are already spread, and once you have identified available break balls - you need to step back and immediately identify the balls to be LEFT ON THE TABLE as an end pattern to the key and break balls. Some need help MANAGING the rack in this manner to get to an end pattern and some need help with their cue ball position skills once they identify the pattern so that you can actually fall on the critical end ball pattern angles - speed control becomes critical for end pattern 14.1.

5. Failure to Maintain focus on each shot throughout full racks and into subsequent racks - remedy: 14.1 differs from 9 ball in that you need to maintain focus for longer periods of time especially for continuous runs into multiple racks - give each shot it's due! No letting up on some of the seemingly easier mid rack short distance cut shots- it is a RELAXED but DETERMINED focus that works best for 14.1 if you expect to stay sharp during high runs.

6. Best if you can video yourself and constantly check all of the above points- if not, next best thing is making notes after each end of run. Watch U tube videos of all the top 14.1 players and compare styles of older players like Mike Sigel, Varner, Zuglan, Mizerak, Martin to some of the Europeans like Ortmann, Hohmann, Soquet, Eckert as well as others. I strongly feel that one should decide on what "STYLE" of 14.1 play would best suit your strongest points as a player and then plan you game accordingly i.e. shotmaking ability, speed control, position play, pattern play, etc. Be realistic in your expectations- most of us do not have the shotmaking and strokes of the pros- so for most, it pays to look for the SIMPLEST routes to opening up racks, pocketing balls, and getting onto the next break ball.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that the best way to improve one's 14.1 game is to record each practice session and then review it to find any patterns as to why your runs end. As you decide the top reasons why your runs are ending- work on each area and you will see it all start to come together with higher runs. Reasons may include:

3. Missing full rack break shots- remedy: play break shots as if the rack does not exist once you have determined the proper speed, and english to hit that break shot. Decide on what type of straight pool player you want to be - European style of smashing the 14.1 racks with very hard break shots or traditional American 14.1 style of more softer full rack break shots and greater cue ball control after each break. Especially on the more modern 4 1/2 inch Diamond pockets- you had better be a terrific shotmaker to consistently smash break shots and be successful.
Nice post! I wanted to add to something you said here about break shots. There is a subtle but real side benefit to being consistent with making the break shot. Follow me on this and see if you have the same feeling about it. When you are a little shaky on your break shots and you are nearing the end of the rack the mindset would be "OK looks like I'm on a good path to have a good break shot but then I better not miss the damn break after all this work." That kind of thinking only makes the runout to the break ball harder because you are worried about whether you are going to make or dog the break and ruin all that effort. On the other hand, when you have the break shots down pat from extensive practice, the mindset is "OK looks like I'm on a good path to get a good break shot and I'm home free into the next rack... yeah!" Of course that confidence leads to better performance in the end game of a rack. This is just something I noticed in my own game.

I made a commitment that I was going to go down to the pool table once in the morning before work and once in the evening and I was going to rack them up and hit a regular straight pool break shot. Then I'd alternate to the other side of the rack and hit another break without bothering to rerack the balls. I just leave them scattered on the table but not interfering with break shots. I hit only the 15 balls as random break shots and then put the cue down. In this way even on days when I don't have time or energy to play at least I'm improving on break shots. 15 balls twice a day for several weeks and it does amazing things for your break shot and your ability to figure out why you are missing certain break shots.

Anyway, again, good post.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! Honestly I never think about successfully making the actual next break shot until the balls are reracked. Until then, ALL my focus is on leaving the correct balls on the table once I have identified the best potential break ball(s). Then , once there are three to five balls left on the table- my focus is on playing that pattern correctly and at the right speeds to keep the correct angles or hopefully but unfortunately not often enough for me- three stop shots in a row! Now I should be on the break ball.

I think the most important thoughts with the break shot itself are hitting it at the correct speed, as well as where you want to hit on the cue ball in terms of draw or follow and any spin to be added - with the correct stroke. Keeping the grip hand SOFT- to allow the decided STROKE to move the cue ball Through or AWAY from the stack upon impact. Much of this is determined by where you expect to hit on the rack and the position of the cue ball relative to the break ball.

I would caution folks NOT to fear the break shots- learn to embrace them - it is the only way to achieve 3+ rack runs. One shot at a time- relaxed focus. I applaud your practice and determination to make that break shot a high percentage make for yourself.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! Honestly I never think about successfully making the actual next break shot until the balls are reracked. Until then, ALL my focus is on leaving the correct balls on the table once I have identified the best potential break ball(s). Then , once there are three to five balls left on the table- my focus is on playing that pattern correctly and at the right speeds to keep the correct angles or hopefully but unfortunately not often enough for me- three stop shots in a row! Now I should be on the break ball.

I think the most important thoughts with the break shot itself are hitting it at the correct speed, as well as where you want to hit on the cue ball in terms of draw or follow and any spin to be added - with the correct stroke. Keeping the grip hand SOFT- to allow the decided STROKE to move the cue ball Through or AWAY from the stack upon impact. Much of this is determined by where you expect to hit on the rack and the position of the cue ball relative to the break ball.

I would caution folks NOT to fear the break shots- learn to embrace them - it is the only way to achieve 3+ rack runs. One shot at a time- relaxed focus. I applaud your practice and determination to make that break shot a high percentage make for yourself.
I agree, but I don't think I exactly made my point in the way I intended. Let's try it this way: When you run racks and find that you continually botch a run due to a missed break say 50% of the time you can't help but get deflated upon missing. Over time this conditions your mind to expect failure which leads to lack of confidence and a general feeling of doubt, if not expressly thought out, near the end of a rack. This has to affect the quality of play during the end run. In contrast, never missing break shots leads to a sense that you are already into the next rack as long as you take care of business. Again, not necessarily thought out, but a general feeling resulting in confidence.

I think the only way really to be comfortable with break shots is to prove to yourself through practice that you no longer miss them. I was motivated in this regard when John Schmidt said he made over 600 break shots in a row while trying to break the record.

Regards!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I agree- if you begin any 14.1 session- practice or competitive; and have doubts about making break shots- your 14.1 game will suffer. I rarely see John, or for that matter, any of the more modern European 14.1 pros missing many break shots- it has to become fairly automatic that you can make what you leave yourself in most instances.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No drills for this guy....

I plan to keep chugging toward the 100 barrier and then may just give up the game.
Well I happened to make my 2021 goal, so I'm going to reset and aim for 200. That's fairly lofty, but incrementing by 50's seems to be too little.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal goals for the year 2021 for my 14.1 solo practice sessions is as follows:

1) Maintain an average of at least two 14.1 solo practice sessions per week, a minimum of two hours per session.

2) Keep a record dating and documenting my three highest runs for every practice session. Also, documenting the specific reason for why every run ends, to help determine what areas of my game I need to work most on.

3) A minimum 28+ ball (2 complete racks) high run for every practice session.

4) End every practice session with a minimum 14+ ball (1 complete rack) run.

5) A minimum 42+ ball (3 complete racks) high run at least once a month.

6) A goal for a 2021 high run of 56+ balls (4 complete racks).

Although my PR high run is 98 balls, that was nearly 25 years ago, and I’m now 64. I have not run 56+ balls in at least 3-4 years. Although I realize my chance of running 100 balls is no longer realistic, I feel these goals listed above are attainable for me, if I work and focus hard enough.

Other 14.1 regulars on here care to share their personal 14.1 goals for 2021, or offer suggestions as to what else I could add to my goals that might be of benefit to me? -

Thanks and Happy New Year To All!

Living in California I just hope to hit a ball before football starts up again.

Personally, I am not sure high run goals help in the end, puts a lot of unneeded pressure on you when you get close to that goal.

Still love to see the dedication.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used to do something similar, though I used Bowling scoring. I would play 10 trips to the table of 14.1 but continuous. Run out and successful break out was a strike, run rest of balls after a miss and make break shot was spare. It was easy to assess where your game was from spares and strikes and multiple strikes. Scoring made it fun.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I set my goals low by some folks standards, my goal with 14.1 is ... just 1 more ball.

hank