Rear chuck on midamerica pro large bore?

rack runner

Registered
Does anyone know if a rear chuck can be attatched to the headstock of the midamerica pro large bore. I know i could just run a steady rest behind the headstock but i need to be able to clamp my piece as well as being able to have my jig turn with the main headstock.

Also related but not related, been looking around on the forums, but not able to find anything specific. How is everyone setting up their crossslide to cut tapers on the hightowers/midamerica, in terms of spring tensions jig to follow taper bar to take out backlash/bounce.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you might be able to have a machine shop thread the inside of the back and screw a set of jaws in the back. I have looked at mine, It will be a close fit, but i think it might work.

rack runner

Registered
I think you might be able to have a machine shop thread the inside of the back and screw a set of jaws in the back. I have looked at mine, It will be a close fit, but i think it might work.
copy that. i was thinking that too. but id have have to dim out the sleeve and see if they would have enough meat to solidly hold a rearchuck.

tsp&b

Silver Member
To do that properly in my opinion, would require engineering and making a completely different spindle. That headstock was never designed or intended to have a rear chuck.

rack runner

Registered
To do that properly in my opinion, would require engineering and making a completely different spindle. That headstock was never designed or intended to have a rear chuck.
the reason im trying to outfit a rear chuck/rear clamp is moreso for a jig. not to be used as a rear chuck for holding, just to outfit a jig