Recent Simonis 860 install by a table mechanic........Really?

jbcornerpocket

Searching for honest opinions:

Would you rather your pockets look like this with Simonis 860 or would you rather see a French cuff?

Attachments

• 306018029_1137969446793666_6229082023378002107_n.jpg
    306018029_1137969446793666_6229082023378002107_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 306670376_1038899530112332_3106776566808169565_n.jpg
    306670376_1038899530112332_3106776566808169565_n.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 136

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Would you rather your pockets look like this with Simonis 860 or would you rather see a French cuff?
Depends on the pocket. The cuffs are generally only needed on pockets that have a much tighter radius and wood backing beneath them.
Personally, I don't really care how it looks (within reason). As long as the balls are never going to touch slate or staples and it looks clean, I'm happy.

jbcornerpocket

Depends on the pocket. The cuffs are generally only needed on pockets that have a much tighter radius and wood backing beneath them.
Personally, I don't really care how it looks (within reason). As long as the balls are never going to touch slate or staples and it looks clean, I'm happy.
Very true. That slate does have wood backing and my method was only stapling. That is a side pocket but I can only do it that way (on side pockets) on tables with new style pocket cuts that have the corners shaved off. If it is too tight of a radius (in the side pocket) I will use a French cuff (when absolutely necessary). I've gotten to a point in my career where I can completely cover 85% of pockets to achieve that look. No bubbles, wrinkles, exposed staples, exposed slate, or exposed backing. As you can see, it renders the French cuff useless. That's why I was asking. I have never seen any other Simonis work like it besides mine. That goes for in-person or on any video across the internet for that matter. Corner pockets are not in question. They always look like that no matter the table when I do the cloth work.

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1987 Brunswick "Santa Fe" Model "KT".

Recent Simonis 860 install by a table mechanic from a local billiards shop. I really don't want to buy a copy of the Simonis install video but I'm quite sure this technique is not on there. I don't think this can be fixed. I want it replaced and stretched correctly and the pockets looking like every other table I've seen.
Am I out of line expecting a professional look?
How can this be acceptable?

strings showing.jpg Coming undone, strings showing!
look at these relief cuts.jpg Really?
more terrible cuts.jpg More terrible cuts!
fold lines.jpg Fold lines more fold lines.jpg More fold lines

augh!.jpg Enough already! Rails off.jpg Can't even run a ball down this rail

Was told the "fold lines" would eventually calm down and go away. Clearly it was not from a bolt but from a package. Normal?

Looking for thoughts, criticism, options, what to avoid when they return.

I don't want them to return and pull all those cuts down and under. I would think that would stress the cloth only in those areas and then the playing surface would not be consistent. I'm thinking new cloth and start over or better yet, refund my money and let me find a mechanic skilled in this type cloth installation.

Attachments​

• 5.jpg

5.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 3

• 6.jpg

6.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 3

I call BS... that is two different cloth colors, please quit it.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Anyone have a link to video/instructions on how to do the french cuffs? I like the look and would like to incorporate it into my work. Thanks
Dave

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a link to video/instructions on how to do the french cuffs? I like the look and would like to incorporate it into my work. Thanks
Dave
Buy the DVD'S.

$40 for the set here....

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
But the DVD'S.

$40 for the set here....

OK, so it shows the cuff method in the video? Great to know. Looking at the pictures here in this thread, I got an idea how they were done, but had questions about it. I'll order the video. Thanks,
Dave

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, so it shows the cuff method in the video? Great to know. Looking at the pictures here in this thread, I got an idea how they were done, but had questions about it. I'll order the video. Thanks,
Dave
Yes it shows it. But they are worth the price for many other tidbits of advice. Some of the camera angles were on the amateurish side, but lots of good info.