Recommendation on Cue?

francisliubin

Registered
Hello Guys,

I am looking for myself a new cue and my budget is 500-1000. I hope I can find a good cue for myself for a long-term use. One of my friend recommend to try custom cue. Would you guys please give me any suggestion on either production cue or custom ones for that budget? Any good way for me to try different cues?

Thanks.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Hello Guys,

I am looking for myself a new cue and my budget is 500-1000. I hope I can find a good cue for myself for a long-term use. One of my friend recommend to try custom cue. Would you guys please give me any suggestion on either production cue or custom ones for that budget? Any good way for me to try different cues?

Thanks.

Production, a Schon, Mezz or Predator. There are a lot of great customs you could get for that price range. Look through the wanted/for sale section, there are 100's of customs. Post this in there also and buy from a reputable AZer with good Itrader.

sengkun108

sengkun108
Silver Member
Wellcome to Az family...

My opinion...try a customcues. Find a new one here, but you have to search it slowly. Not rush, that is a main thing. After a while, you will know who is a reputable seller or reputable cuemaker here and you will know what cue do you want to have and hold the value. With your budget, you can try Cory barnhart, Jeff Olney, PJ Sugartree, Josey and many more.

I know, because i've been on your situation on the past..Good Luck:)

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Get a nice Schon you like the looks of. You won't be disappointed, and they are the best made production cues on the market. As far as customs go, you really need to try a specific maker's cue first (they all feel different), then order one made FOR YOU, vice getting one second hand...that's the real reason to go custom. If you're just collecting, then getting a well-regarded maker's cue second hand is just fine, but do some research first.

If you want a high quality, proven player, go with a Schon...you could resell later for close to what you put into it and put that money toward a custom you want, once you know what kind of hit/materials/construction/balance/etc you prefer.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Welcom to AZ! :thumbup:

You will have a lot of choices in the $500 - $1000 range.

You also will hear a lot of opinions/suggestions, including mine, on what would be the best choices. Just remember, these opinions are subjective and nothing can take the place of actually having a cue in your hands and hitting some balls.

That said, this subject does come up on a somewhat regular basis and I'm sure if you did a search here for "best production cue" then "best custom cue", you will have plenty to read.

The production cues that consistently get the highest marks are Schon, Pechauer, and Mezz. All very good products, I must agree.

When it comes to the best customs, everyone is all over the place and, probably, with very good reason - there are lots of great choices.

Again, it's subjective, but if it were me, for a custom up to $1000, I'd be looking hard for a used Scruggs, a Jensen, or a Jeff Olney. These cues are all very well known for playing incredibly well.

I just happened to notice an absolutely gorgeous Olney cue for sale yesterday by one of the most respected sellers here on az. This would be a good example of what you could get (this price may even be negotiable). Here's that link:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=230414&highlight=olney

There are lots of good choices out there and it is definitely a buyers market now.

Let us know what you end up with.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were you I would look at one of our own an AZ'er Ryan Theewen. You can go to search and ck. him out here. The man make a super cue. You can also ck. out Mueller's web. site. He makes cues there for sale. Or PM him here and he can custom build for you. Great builder an super nice guy. Skip :)

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
Hello Guys,

Thanks.

Two words: Josey or Olney. Can't go wrong with either.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to find a place where you can demo some cues. You need to see how the cues feel in YOUR hands, not how someone else says it feels. Just because another person is very happy with his own cue does not mean you will feel the same way.
A convention like Valley Forge where there are hundreds of cues to try out is the place to get a cue.
Good luck in your search. If you play in a league or in a pool hall where people will let you try their cues for a few hits, then start there.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are like cars and colors....everyone has different opinions. My advice is to look at a lot of cues and hit balls with them before you buy. Don't make your purchase solely on looks. There are a lot of custom cue makers that make some great hitting cues and there are some production cues that hit good as well. Good luck on finding the one that you love.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
While I agree, as indicated in my previous post, that it is better to try a cue out yourself prior to purchasing, I also recognize that it's not always possible for everyone to attend a large pool show to facilitate this.

And, in my experience, there's not an abundance of $500 - $1000 cues at league night and, typically, it would be awkward to ask someone to use their fairly expensive cue unless you know them pretty well.

So, short of being able to actually try out some cues you might consider buying (best choice), I think it's reasonable to take a chance on buying a well recommended cue brand that is in your price range with your desired specs. :thumbup:

Best,
Brian kc

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to show how people's tastes can be different, I'd opt for a high-end wrapless sneaky pete.